PDA

View Full Version : Mia's Mom Sherry

Pepper
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Hi

I have been a squirrel lover all of my life and in 2001 I was blessed with a beautiful baby squirrel whose mother was killed in the park. She was crying in a large tree and when I went over she climbed down into my hand and into my heart. I named her Pepper because of her spicey attitude. I had all intentions of releasing her but everytime I tried she wouldn't leave the house. She would sit at the back glass doors and cry. She was not afraid of other animals and I was so scared she would be killed by the large dogs next door. So she began her life with us. She loved our cocker spaniel and he loved her. But she was true momma's girl. 8 years later I lost her to a respiratory infection. She was cremated and her remains are in a beautiful ceramic nut someone found for me. She was the love of my life and I was lost without her.

Then in September of this year, a friend at work found a 2 week old baby squirrel laying on the ground near the road. She took her in and of course, called me. I began the process of feeding and true to form I fell in love. I call her Mia. Mia has lost some of her vision due to whatever happened the day she was found and is startled easily when she does not see things right away. But she has adapted and loves my dog Maggie and Mollie the rabbit.

We live in north Tampa near Wesley Chapel. I didn't think 8 years ago that anyone loved squirrels as much as I did until I found the Board. I love reading the stories and have learned alot. Jackie helped me a while back when Pepper was ill. Thank you so much!

I hope to meet you all at the convention.

Sherry

Here is Mia:

Here is Mia's own hammock she neatly made:

Jackie in Tampa
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
:Welcome :wave123 Welcome back!
the nest is so perfect...:D typical typical typical:D
Glad you were blessed with Mia, lucky you ...lucky Mia:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

tomcics
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I love your story and you must be a very special person for a young squirrel to climb down a tree and trust you so quickly. I am happy to read you have a new baby to take care of. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Tom

4skwerlz
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
:Welcome to TSB.

Yes, Mia's nest is very "neat" :D . Squirrels sure have a different idea of "neat" than we do..... :osnap

Mia is very beautiful.:Love_Icon

island rehabber
01-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Good to see you again, Sherry . Mia is beautiful, and her decorating is simply fabulous :rotfl

Pepper
01-27-2010, 08:42 AM
:thankyou She is a bigger handful than Pepper but maybe I am just getting older!:dono

I love to hear her chatter and bark. She sprawls out on the top of her cage and just talks to eveyone and everything. Like the Queen she is, I am her servant. And she just loves Henry's blocks and gets so excited when a new shipment arrives. She takes them up to her designer hammock decor and just stretches out and eats while watching TV like a kid.:tilt