PDA

View Full Version : Hello from WI!

Topaz
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Hello all! My fiance and I got our first Siberian chipmunk a while ago, and still learning about the little guy. He's in a bird cage right now, with branches (baked,) and perches, as well as wooden shelves (the type a chinchilla or degu would use,) and toys galore. We are currently in the middle of making a 6' tall x 3' w x 2' d wire cage for him. Think it's big enough?

I mainly joined the forum to learn a bit more about nutrition. I've tried giving him the rodent blocks I use for our hamsters and gerbils, as well as a few seeds here and there and he's just not down with it. He doesn't even bat an eye at it. I don't know if he's just spoiled on all the fresh foods, or if it's the blocks themselves he doesn't like. I plan to make my own block this weekend using the recipe I found in a sticky in the nutrition section.

Anyways, more info about the little fuzzbutt. He's about 5 or 6 months old, was 4 months when we got him from his previous home, which purchased him from a breeder (he was also fairly thin, and very cold.) Now he's just all over place, exploring everything he can get his little nose into.

It's amazing how little information is out there on the 'net about SBs as pets, and how to treat them. I'm hoping this forum really helps us out and steers us in the right direction.

4skwerlz
01-20-2010, 05:42 PM
:Welcome to TSB! You've come to the right place for nutrition info. Good nutrition is so important for rodents, and so little understood....it's become a major focus for us.

Momma Squirrel
01-20-2010, 05:50 PM
:Welcome Topaz, what is your little chippies name??

Check out the breed specific thread for Chipmunks, we actually have quite a few members here with all sorts of chippies, lots of good info.

HEY we need pictures :crazy

Topaz
01-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! I actually just came across the Henry's Ultimate Blocks and will probably order some tonight once the fiance gets home, just to make sure he's cool with it.

The little guy's name is Mowgli! He's definitely the most intelligent rodent in the house (sorry rats, we still think you're smart, though. lol)

Pnerissa
01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Can we tell I'm a tech nerd? I saw the title "Hello from WI" and immediately thought, "Wii is spelled with two i's." I love my Wii.

Welcome!!

Topaz
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Pnerissa - I love our Wii too :D

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi Topaz!
Always good to see I'm not the only Wisconsinite-rodent-lover!:crazy
:Welcome

psychotic feather
01-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Topaz
01-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Topaz!
Always good to see I'm not the only Wisconsinite-rodent-lover!:crazy

What area are you from? Maybe we can share some grocery tips if we're close enough.

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
01-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Haha, SE Wisconsin.
I'm a fan of Woodman's, but it's a bit out of the way for me, but REALLY cheap, especially with all the fresh veggies and fruit I have to buy for Lulu-Bean and myself (I'm a vegetarian).
But I like Pick 'N Save, but selection sucks, so that leaves Sentry, which is only a few blocks from my apartment.

Topaz
01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
I see. I was looking for some place other than Woodman's (not the best selection, IMO, of fresh greens,) and piggly wiggly (again, it's a selection problem.) I very rarely ever go to Sentry, I'll have to check them out.

Chickenlegs
01-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Welcome welcome! I'm in the not so sunny South where 50 degrees is a cold day. Yeah yeah--wussies rule! Glad to see you. Have a friend from Wisconsin-- took him a week to thaw out when he was here a couple of weeks ago. We have plain ol chipmunks--not that any chipmunk is "plain ol" CUUUUUUUTE little buggers every one. Pictures of your little guy? You're in a good place for fuzzbutt info.

Jackie in Tampa
01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
:Welcome :wave123

Ultra Peepi
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM