PDA

View Full Version : i need some questions answered

XsmilesX
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone , i've recently bgun to think about getting a southern flying squirrel and i had some question that i thought i should ask BEFORE actually getting one.

- about how fast are they, are they faster than hamster?

-what is the hottest and coldest conditions they can live in?

-will a 2 x 1 1/2 x 3 3/4 (in feet) cage be big enough?

-how long can they be left in their cages/ wouldi be able to go away for a week without it dying or getting sick or something?

-are they good pets overall to have?

Thank You :)

pappy1264
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Truthfully, no animal should be left alone like that. So much can go wrong! If you tend to go away or travel and would not have a reliable person to care for them in your absence, then truthfully you may need to rethink things. JMHO.

Faster then a hamster? Heck yes! Think jackrabbit on speed....lol

Are you thinking of keeping them outside? I keep mine in my bedroom, average temp around 68-70. I am not really sure what the highest/lowest would be, but any extremes either way would not be good.

They are good pets for the right people. They are nocturnal, and they are still wild animals and retain many of those wild behaviours (each can differ to how much).

That cage sounds too small to me for an adult. The bigger the better.

XsmilesX
01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
i can definetley find someone to watch the squirrel but i was just seeing in case there was a chance i couldnt get someone.

i would be keeping it indoors.

will they try to run away or bite you if your holding them or does ot depend on the squirrel?

how big should the cage be becuase some people say 2x2 for the floor

Jackie in Tampa
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
:goodpost good posting pappy!

:Welcome :wave123 welcome to tsb, you have come to the right place for sqly answers!
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15969
:thumbsup here is a link I think you willl find helpful!

XsmilesX
01-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks to the both of you for your help i will look at the link and hopefully decide wether or not to get one. :thankyou

pappy1264
01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I want to give you kudos for researching to make an informed decision. Making sure it is a good fit BEFORE is a good thing!

I think 3ft wide X 4ft tall (at least), again the bigger the better. These guys jump and need space to do that. (Even with being out of the cage, the more cage space you can give them, the better for them.) Jackie has some great cages she has made (I want the red one....lol) (Thanks btw, Jackie!)

Another thing you should consider (and check out) is to make sure you have two vets (plus an emergency vet) that has experience and can see them in your area. The worst feeling in the world is to have a sick animal and not be able to find one to treat them when time is of the essence! (My vet actually gave me her cell number in case I have an emergency....) Just another thing to look into as you are making your choice on a pet.

Skul
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I'll only address a couple items.
Cage size. The one you mention is just OK. It would work, but that's about it.
From observing mine, I believe floor area to be more important than height.
In other words, a 2wx3lx2h is a little better than a 2wx1.5lx3.75h.
Mine is a 3wx5lx6h, and I rarely see the squirrels toward the bottom.

If you plan on letting the squirrel out to play and romp at frequent times, the smaller cage will work.

That brings us to "good pet".
It depends on you. If you are willing to spend the time and effort to properly care
for the little squirrel, then yes, they're good.
They are not an animal that can just be put in a cage to be watched.
They do need interaction with their human caretakers. Frequent interaction.

Please be aware, their dietary needs can be a challange.
You can not feed commercial seed/nut/pellet mixes picked up in a pet store.

Pnerissa
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I'd also toss in there that you have to be willing to invest quality time with these little guys as much as possible. An hour or two a day of good one-on-one time with them is essential for bonding and overall happiness. These aren't a pet to just stick in a cage, toss in some food and watch from time to time. They need love, toys, proper nutrition, more love. Actually, you can never give them too much love.