PDA

View Full Version : Severely Traumatized Squirrel - Emotional Problems

elizalalala
10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
This is a question about another rehabber's squirrel that I have spent some time around. She got in a litter of 3 squirrels, 2 females and a male. They were around the 6 week mark. The two females were a little skittish but would allow humans to handle them. The male is a different story.

This male (which we've named General Woundwort after the rabbit from Watership Down) is intensely traumatized and very angry. He's had a mental break and has not come down from it at all even though it has been 3 days since he came in. His behavior involves him lunging at and clinging to the side of the cage anytime a human is even remotely nearby in an attempt to bite them. He makes an angry grunting noise - like the scolding sound young squirrels use when they want you to give back their syringe or they don't want to be helped to pee... only loaded with the most potent malice. It just sounds different than normal squirrel scolding sounds, you can hear the hate in it.

If you stand nearby the cage and speak he launches himself at the side of the cage nearest you and groans angrily at you. He often tries to bite his rehabber (and has succeeded twice) while he is being fed (he does eat well.) In the last day his sister has picked up this anti-human habit a little bit as well (the other sister was given to another rehabber paired with another squirrel.)

It's so bizarre to see such a young squirrel acting so aggressive. He's adorable... like a tiny puppy trying to be tough... but once he is big he will just be scary. It is clear he is very angry and mentally unbalanced. Instead of being afraid of the humans he hates, he is the exact opposite. He is almost insanely obsessed with hurting them.

My rehab mentor says she seen squirrels do this a couple other times but they always got over it within a day. She's never seen one retain this behavior so long. Has anyone ever seen this before? If he keeps up this attitude the entire time he is rehabbed, what will he be like as an adult squirrel? Is he likely to chase humans and attack? Is there anything to try in order to calm him down?

We don't know the incident that traumatized him in the first place, the litter was found on the ground. We speculated that he witnessed a human kill his mother, but there is no way of knowing.

atlantasquirrelgirl
10-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I had a baby that behaved that way for 6 weeks until the day she was released. She was especially aggressive towards my ex-boyfriend. (She was a better judge of character than I was.) She'd lunge at the cage every time he walked near it, and she was the smallest one in the litter.

Mrs. Jack
10-10-2006, 07:55 AM
While it's obvious he has absolutely no trust for humans, isn't "hate" a misapplied term? he's not like.. a stephen king squirrel or something. He's just dependant on humans while every squirrelly instinct in his body tells him NO. I would think that when he is released, he will be more than happy to disappear off to be a squirrel and avoid humans altogether.

elizalalala
10-10-2006, 08:56 AM
I would say he is at least highly resentful and angry. I'm not saying he is evil, but you can hate without being evil. Most squirrels I've seen before who don't want to depend on humans are skittish and try to hide while they eat. This one is constantly desperate to attack and hurt, which just seems unusual.

I'm sure something happened to him to make him feel so strongly about humans, I just wish he could gain a little comfort during the time he has to remain with us.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
This almost sounds like the little wilds I had, well obviously they were happier bing free, I think the only reason that the little girl returned the 1st time she got out was because of her brother. Everything you say sounds to be them I just think they are bring squirrels.
They will adjust nicely in the real world.

elizalalala
10-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks, it's good to hear from everyone so far that he isn't likely to continue this behavior in the wild. It's always a worry when an animal dislikes a human but doesn't fear them enough to stay away. My mentor has raised hundreds of squirrels and never seen a case like this so experience stories are very helpful!

Critter_Queen
10-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, squirrels are supposed to really dislike humans naturally, so I don't really see a problem with his behavior... However, since some squirrels are like this (and I don't know if it's just nature or something that is event-inspired) it helps to have a caging system where he can be fed through the cage bars and larger cage doors never have to be opened.

If the cage is small enough, draping a sheet over one half of it may help him feel safer and less threatened as well. If the rehabber can figure out a way to keep her hands out of the cage almost completely, he may come around a little and at least stop attacking the side of the cage when humans are near.

Hope this helps!

elizalalala
10-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks Critter_Queen! Between what you, Mrs. Jack, and the rest of the replies have said I am feeling less concerned that he will maintain this behavior in the wild. I'd hate for him to get released and then angrily attack an unsuspecting human. We're trying to find a site where he won't have to deal with people often as a precaution, though. Definitely not an area where there are a lot of children.

I was also starting to wonder if his actions could be to defend his litter mate... he's awfully young to be protective, but I've seen children look out for each other when a parent wasn't able to so I guess it isn't completely far-fetched. Though when they play fight it is a lot more angry and rough than other squirrels I've seen. I suspect this squirrel is going to have no trouble establishing a well-defended territory once he is an adult.

I'll let my mentor know about the sheet over half the cage idea.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-10-2006, 09:44 AM
well when I reread my post I couldnt even understand it:crazy :crazy this dumb laptop is very hard to type on, I meant to say I think he is just being a squirrel.
Like I said my little wild girl got out about 5 weeks after getting her, she came back in the middle of a terrible storm, she was so soaked..she looked like a black rat. What a time to get her into the cage, her brother was in it but she knew she had to trust me to get back in it, I was trying to help guide her in...finally she went..after that she was more trusting of me. Still growled now & then but not like before. In their little minds they cant reason just because this person is feeding me she isnt gonna hurt me.
I worried so after they both escapped on me. But I have to trust that someone above was watching over them.
I wouldnt be overly concerned? How old were they when she got them or were they newborns?

atlantasquirrelgirl
10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Ironically, my little meanie was the last to leave the release cage, and was very scared. I thought she would be the first to run for the hills, but she hung out on top of the release cage for 3 hours. Once she was gone, she said adios for good.

Suro
10-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I must say this is very similar to the situation I am in right now.
Two females and a male - all about a week apart, all from different litters.

Willow is adorable, sweet and affectionate and loves attention, her as yet unnamed sister is nervous and trembles when you hold her to feed her, but she takes the formula well

Nemo, the male, however is very agressive, and he hates my boyfriend lol! He actually launches at him. I have seen last years babies do this, but not till much much older. these babies are about 6 weeks old right now.

He simply won't take milk from me, he takes a syringe first thing in the morning, but thats it, he is not interested the rest of the day. He is eating solids well, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much, as the first feed I give them contains the vitamin and mineral supplement and probiotic I use, so at least he gets that. Its just such a shame, because he is even frightening the other two now. :/

I know I don't want them to be pets, but the first 6 or 7 weeks are usually such fun before they get too squirrely, but he is having none of it! :p

Ironically enough, nemo was also the one who was injured with blood on and in his nose when I got him, so I presume a traumatic experience must be what makes some of them behave this way?

I am going to move them to the bigger cage this week as it has much more "private" space for him in it, where he can hide from me for the whole day while I continue to feed the other two a bit longer.

Stray123
10-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi,
Other than the rehabber getting bit, It sounds like he has his squirrel skills going on. The best thing he could do is stay as far away from humans as he can. I personally find it adorable when they show agression. It shows me they got what it takes to survive. Good luck.

halo
10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
I have had a few babies like that too. Usually they end up being the biggest chicken of the whole bunch, thats why they act so nasty. They are just plain scared. Got one this year that I had to put a glove on everytime I reached into the cage. I would let her "attack" my glove while I put food in the bowl or changed the bedding. No appreciation! LOL ! Anyway, I couldnt wait to release THAT one.. hehe

Halo