PDA

View Full Version : ~Bangkok Greetings~

Cartel
12-30-2009, 06:26 AM
๋Very awesome to find a squirrel lovers forum! :D Just wanted to say hello to everyone and also that Ive found alot of useful infoz here so Thanks a bunches!

^ ^

Our story?? Mid 20s couple. Who recently decided to take that next step and have a baby. Squirrel! :thumbsup

Cartels story??

There are many markets in this country and they sell everything from clothes to exotic animals. Many animals you cant ever find in other countries. But the laws here are lax on what you can and cant own.....:flash3

To speed it up, Cartel was a infant, tied by his neck with a rope in a series of cages with many different infant squirrels and sugar gliders.:nono BELIEVE me when I say it would make any animal lover PISSED to see how the animals in these sort of markets are treated.:rock1 We know buying from these people is NOT the answer. And I dont recommend it. :oldwise Buts it was my choice and I just cant stand to see any animals treated badly. Infant or not. I also been told if they are not taken then they will be eaten, killed or set free after a while ( death :hissyfit sentence ). So Cartel came home with us. About 5 weeks old. And you can tell he was shaken up. I dont want him to be alone.:dono I plan on getting a female of the same breed in a week or two after HE settles in. Hes been home with us about 4 days. Very very clean home and we allow him to be free and roam. Hes only seemed brave enough to roam around after a full stomach. And thats just to run up to us.... poop... and run off :thinking and try n climb something or back to his bed. He is still young and a cutie. We are "told" hes a Myanmar ( burma ) stripped squirrel with white tipped ears. To me ( american ) id say he looks more like a baby chipmunk. Thanks for creating a squirrel lovers community and forum and for the replys to my question. Its been a great place to find info and read up on experiences of other squirrel owners.
Stay tuned for pics of Cartel and hopefully updates with a girlfriend for him.:alright.gif

Jackie in Tampa
12-30-2009, 06:37 AM
:Welcome :wave123
cool! thanks for the explaination!
please make your home 'sq friendly'...they can get into everything...so containing all meds, cleaners etc is a must:thumbsup
and other pets can be a danger too!
I do recommend a cage, at least a space that he can sleep in and if ever needed for transport, better to ease him into it...than have to subject his first experiance under pressured circumstances...jmo!
some sqs do better alone with their human friends, not all will bond to their own kind, not sure about burmese sqs though...flyers like everyone, furred or not...grays are different, if they allow to be kept without 'going wild', they usually do not want another gray around...:nono ...but not always!...just the natural nature of the breed.

:Welcome :wave123

island rehabber
12-30-2009, 06:51 AM
:Welcometo The Squirrel Board -- glad you found us!
Yes we have heard about these exotic pet markets in other countries and a few of our members have rescued squirrels from terrible conditions, just as you did :bowdown. Thank you from all of us squirrel lovers!
There is a lot of excellent nutritional info on healthy diets in our Nutrition forum...of course your little one may have some special dietary needs according to his specific breed. Can't wait to see pictures!

Cartel
12-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Yes the markets are really horrible. If Im ever in the mood to describe how they display and sell these poor animals then I will and - you know what..... we might even make a day of it when we go to get a female in January. If that is ok? Or if anyones interested.:dono Ill take photos and make a mini documentary if you all would like to see it. Its very unpleasant but also good to have insight on.
NOW!!!!

On another note....

Meet Cartel!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon ( We will take more photos as he grows and becomes a family member but we will wait until his tail heals ) Not shown, is his recent tail injury that seems to be healing fine and he dont mind thank the squirrel gods!tinfoil

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/Cartelz/Cartel/12-27-20099-48-45AM_0137.jpg
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/Cartelz/Cartel/12-27-20099-48-40AM_0131.jpg
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/Cartelz/Cartel/12-27-20099-48-43AM_0135.jpg
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/Cartelz/Cartel/12-27-20097-34-42PM_0006.jpg

We would love to hear if anyone knows the species or info about this kind. Also we believe hes 5 - 6 weeks old. The sellers claim he was just turning 5 weeks. But you cant trust the dealers.:shakehead

SquirrelNut
12-30-2009, 07:06 PM
what a cute little critter! thanks for saving him! it sickens me to know there are many more like him being displayed or worse...eaten! you will receive some good karma!

Cartel
12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
JFerret helped us find his breed. :thankyou http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/mam...d_squirrel.htm
Tamiops mcclellandii or Himalayan/Burmese striped squirrel. Cartel's tail is healing up and I guess im headed to go get insects and accessories for him right nowish. Fun Fun....yikes

cualquiercosa327
12-31-2009, 05:14 AM
hi.he is so cute...

pollinoe
01-01-2010, 03:32 PM
o my he is beautiful bless ur family esp. the lil one:Welcome