PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Bleeding

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
There was just a large squirrel at the feeder never seen him before, when he started jumping his whole stomach is drenched in blood?
:dono
There is nothing I can do? I wont be able to get him...feeling helpless though, what could have happened? He is strong enough to jump in the trees?

Cindy G
10-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I hate seeing an injured animal and not being able to do something for them.
I will pray that he gets better. However squirrels are pretty tough I know that Thin Tail is. He has battle scars all over him.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
when they fight what parts of the body are attacted?

elizalalala
10-09-2006, 08:01 PM
I have been told that male squirrels defending territory will bite off another male's testicles to keep the other from reproducing. I'd love to have this confirmed (or even better... disproved. Ewww.)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-10-2006, 07:56 AM
This squirrel was probably the largest I have ever seen I was thinking maybe it was bloated due to swelling but then how would a squirrel in that bad of shape be jumping from tree to tree? I just cant get this one off my mind?
I know hee was different because of the coloring almost a grungy brown (I seen a picture of the same colored squirrel on one of the other threads-just beautiful)

Mrs. Jack
10-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Sometimes a minor cut can bleed a lot... let's hope it's just that :( If he's eating and leaping, I'd think he isn't hurt that badly? I guess my main worry would be that the blood scent will attract a predator :( I hate when my wild friends are hurt.. too often I can do nothing. Mrs. Jack did show up with a scratch on her back and while handing her a nut, I was able to dab some rescue remedy cream on it. :/

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Funny you should mention that Mrs Jack right after this squirrel was there 5 huge birds came swarming through, I was trying to scare them..they didnt seemed to care dh said "oh they only eat dead animals" I was like hello?????????
:shakehead I dont want ANY large birds here terrifying my squirrels.:nono

Critter_Queen
10-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Hmmm...brown color or blood red? The reason I ask is that the first time I actually paid attention to a squirrel on my deck I thought her mouth was bleeding because it was COVERED in really dark brown/brick red...hubby reminded me that walnuts stain that color...

Also, though the thought isn't really comforting, it may not have been HIS blood...

We get lots of sick birds at our feed landing...some we can catch and manage to at least keep them comfortable while they pass...keep preditors away from them...

Sorry you are having to worry about him...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-10-2006, 09:18 AM
no this squirrel was dripping blood his stomach was covered, its even on the grass. its back was an odd brown,

Critter_Queen
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Poor thing. Sounds like a fight. Bellies and throats (and eyes) are usually the first line of attack for most mammals since they are the most vulnerable.

I hope he finds a quiet place to rest and heal. If he can get the bleeding to stop, I would say he'd be ok since he was foraging for food...

Let us know if you see him again...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks I plan on hanging around here today watching for him.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-11-2006, 07:12 AM
I just got another look at this big boy today, what a whopper! He is huge?
My squirrels are tiny compared to this one?

Critter_Queen
10-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, the fact that he made it through the night (you saw him today, right?) is a great sign for his survival...

We have some whoppers here occasionally too...makes you wonder if they got into a farmer's cattle-hormone supply! ACK! (by the way, by organic beef! LOL...if you eat meat, that is...)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
yes, he looked fine no sign of blood.
He must be the king of the woods?:dono
Actually his coat on his back is a silver grey that was blood all the way around his back?:shakehead
Unless I have 2 big boys like that?:thankyou :thankyou CQ

Squerly
10-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I suppose there is always the chance that HE was the aggressor and the blood is from whatever he was tangling with.

Mrs. Jack
10-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Maybe it was from a cat a cat who will NEVER mess with squirrels again. :icon_devil

A couple of my guys are pretty darn big. Although everyone seems to have been bulking up lately, makes the little bitties look SO bitty.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-11-2006, 10:34 AM
I am guessing that its a he because of the size ..I didnt want to put anymore stress on him just to see if its a male or female, the way he was bleeding I was sure he wouldnt make it. And to think in 17 years I have only ever seen 1 squirrel around my house. They are coming out of the woodwork!
Yes Squrely he could have been the agreessor or agressee (sp)?