PDA

View Full Version : Help other squirrel attacking my baby

Squeaks foster mom
10-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Hello, Squeak has been outside now for three to four days and just started to venture off on his on. Yesterday when I got up he was off and going before I saw him, it wasn't till bedtime that I found him in his house. He was making this half of sneeze sound (snorting you might say), and I didn't make anything of it at the time. But this am I was with him outside when he decided to go up the oak tree. Another squirrel was in the tree and chased him and throw him from the tree to the ground. He landed hard and when I picked him up he was bleeding from the nose a little and making more of a snorting sound and I realized that this had happened yesterday and thats why he started this noise (plus I also notice what I thought was dried blood around his nose). Is he going to be ok? Should I try to taking him somewhere else to be released? Help please I don't want my squirrel baby to die or be picked on.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I dont have an answer but I just released 2 squirrels also and have heard confrentaions in the trees. I will be anxious for any advice. The worst part is I think the ones causeing the fuss are my older released squirrels. Rippieboy:nono

Secret Squirrel
10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi ladies,
What you are witnessing is very common among wild squirrels. Squirrels are very territorial and will run off any squirrels encroaching on their area. The stronger more dominate squirrel will win. I am sure you have seen the programs on Animal Planet or National Geographic where other wild animals will do the same thing. It's nature at it's best and to us humans is doesn't seem fair.
Squeaks foster mom, you may consider moving him to another tree for a soft release again. Keeping him confined to his pre release cage for a few days until you are satisfied with his health. He took a few hard licks and may need time to heal. This will give you time to scope out a new release sight. One with less squirrels if that's possible. It's frightening to see the little guy who you have given such good care to, out there getting hammered. Good luck!
Rippie's mom, I know what you are going through too. My 4 kidz are outside in the pre release cage. The 5 I released in the spring are coming up to the cage for food. They are climbing on the cage and scaring my fall babies to death. :shakehead However, the 4 in the cage are seeing how the "Big squirrels" jump and climb....so it's not all bad......yet!!!!!

atlantasquirrelgirl
10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi Squeak's Mom - I released a female 3 years ago and she is very territorial of my yard. Last year, I released another 3 babies in my yard, she chased them off. It broke my heart to see the little guys getting attacked by her. I highly recommend finding another corner of your yard for the release, or even a neighbor's yard if possible. You may not want to put up a box for him until the day of the release so that nobody else can lay claim to it.