PDA

View Full Version : calcium

DaleJrmom2
12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
We want to buy some calcium for Elisa. What kind should we buy and can you put it in her water bottle?

DaleJrmom2
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Also she is favoring her left back foot. Even like a grunting sound when she tries to reach back there. I have looked for wounds and cant find any. So i dont know what to do next. This has been going on for 1 week.

4skwerlz
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh dear. Usually a sprained foot would be better after a week. Is there any swelling?

Plain calcium carbonate powder is the best kind, but I don't personally recommend putting supplements in water because you can't know how much they are getting.

If Elisa is eating some kind of rodent block or squirrel block every day, then extra calcium isn't needed unless she has MBD.

Anne
12-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Plain Calcium Carbonate can be sprinkled on food, it doesn't like to dissolve in water. Good price on a large bottle of the powder from "IHerb.com". Squirrel requirements: 330mg a day ( 2,500mg a week or 10,000 mg a month). A good diet of fresh vegetables and fruits should provide all or a great deal of calcium.

PBluejay2
12-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Plain Calcium Carbonate can be sprinkled on food, it doesn't like to dissolve in water. Good price on a large bottle of the powder from "IHerb.com". Squirrel requirements: 330mg a day ( 2,500mg a week or 10,000 mg a month). A good diet of fresh vegetables and fruits should provide all or a great deal of calcium.

This may help:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15397

DaleJrmom2
12-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Oh dear. Usually a sprained foot would be better after a week. Is there any swelling?

Plain calcium carbonate powder is the best kind, but I don't personally recommend putting supplements in water because you can't know how much they are getting.

If Elisa is eating some kind of rodent block or squirrel block every day, then extra calcium isn't needed unless she has MBD.

I looked at her foot again this morning. Very little swelling on the pad of her toe. But i noticed she has chewed her nails down back there. Im thinking maybe she got her nail caught when she was running around playing.

She eats rodent block, fresh greens and fruit so now i feel better about her getting the calcium she needs.