PDA

View Full Version : Release

Sideburn2
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, it has been a while since I have been here, which is kind of a good thing meaning I haven't had any problems.

As of late, my squirrel is attacking. He attacked my brother once and my mom twice. We are looking to release, as its just not fair for him to be locked up. (he is round about 5 or 6 months old). I don't think he is exactly ready. He has no fear of our dogs which is a concern. What I would really like to do it give him to a Rehaber. Someone with the expertise of prepping for release.

He has been living on the back porch for a month now, but we haven't taken all the steps to prepping for his release. My mom want's me to just open the cage and the back porch and let him go out and experience the world and he can come back if he chooses but I just don't think that the best living in a neighborhood full of dogs.

I really just want your opinions. Should I find a rehaber to handle this last phase, or should I go it myself, of course with your help? I want whats best for him. He didn't come to me, and I didn't spend all this time and effort, to release him completely wrong and endanger him, and possibly other people.

island rehabber
12-02-2009, 01:24 PM
ahhh....so many of these cases on here lately......Rescue squirrel, fall in love with squirrel, keep squirrel as pet......Then squirrel 'wilds up' (they almost always do) and starts biting. Now must get rid of squirrel, but squirrel has no fear of family pets. Hoo boy......a rehabber's recurring nightmare for sure, as we get to pick up the pieces.

It's possible a Florida rehabber here on TSB may come to your aid and I certainly hope they do. It will not be an easy or pleasant task. In the meantime, PLEASE PLEASE do NOT DO what your mother suggested, unless you want to look out in the yard one day and see your squirrel dragging himself back to you, after being hopelessly maimed by some dog he had no fear of.....

If you can get a SAFE outdoor cage for the squirrel and leave him outside in the yard, AWAY from the house, that would be a good start on this process. Don't let the dogs near him anymore. Place fresh food in his bowl at NIGHT after he goes to sleep, so he no longer associates you with food.

Sideburn2
12-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, the last month or so I had been trying to distance myself from the squirrel and him from me to try and get rid of the dependencies. That biggest problem was, while he is smart enough to stay away when the dogs come towards him, he doesn't be as cautious as a squirrel should be. I had been feeling for some time that I would release him. I see the squirrels outside all the time and I just don't think it fair for him to be kept. This was why we moved him to the Porch, but we have hit hard times in the last month as well and don't have the means to build a release cage or anything of the sort. I don't think he is close to being a lost case. I think he will wild up just fine under the proper condition, the dog thing is the only thing that I am worried about, which is why I asked for assistance.

I will start to do these things though, and thank you for the advise. I will never just do that. I have been about the only keeping a level head about this and is why I turned to you.

PBluejay2
12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I am in Northwest Florida and have room for your baby in my aviary, along with a dozen others who are to be released. He will learn from them and the wilds around my house what to be afraid of.

Kaycee
12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
*woot* *woot* Go PB Go!:multi

island rehabber
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you PBJ2 for always going the extra mile for a squirrel. Sideburn2, your little guy could not go to better hands. :thumbsup:thankyou

Sideburn2
12-04-2009, 09:34 AM
you will have to let me know where you are. I'm in orlando.

PBluejay2
12-04-2009, 10:00 AM
you will have to let me know where you are. I'm in orlando.

I loive in the Destin area. If you can't find anyone closer, maybe we can arrange a squirrel train.

Sideburn2
12-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, my mom knows a guy who is really big into animals and knows several squirrel rehabilitators in our area. We may see about them, But, I am willing to do what it takes for the best of my squirrels benefit. He deserves it.

I wish I had the means to prep him myself. I would love to be able to let him go and give him the joy of being free.

scurry'smama
12-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Yay PBJAy!!!!!!:wahoo The bestest!!!!!!!