PDA

View Full Version : Pees out the Cage!

Buddy'sMom
10-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Couple of weeks ago we had Buddy's cage outside for some sun. Twice, he peed throught the bars of his cage - in the grass it was kind of cute. Now he has started doing it inside -- much less cute!! Amazing range! So far, this has been only when the cage was on a screened sunporch and he was by himself; not when in the living room.

SO: Was he afraid? (outside he doesn't like being in the cage; the sunporch times, it was rainy or windy and he was clearly unhappy). Or was he angry at being outside or alone? Or do they just pee randomly, wherever they happen to be, and I am just reading too much into it? (Since he could pee by himself, he otherwise has gone ONLY on the newspaper side of his cage, until now.)

Anything to do - other than pee-proof the area around his cage?

Suro
10-09-2006, 05:23 AM
I don't know his age so hard to say, but mine like to pee in one specific corner, so I always pile the bedding up a bit more there, a flannel is great for it, cos you can remove and replace it as needed. (of course don't use it for your face ever again! :rotfl )

Is it always the same side of the cage he does it?

island rehabber
10-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Suro, one of my spring fuzzers used to do that al the time -- I think we had a thread about it back then, too. He nailed me in the face twice and once, as I was bending over to sweep under the cage, he got me on top of my head! :shakehead It may be territorial, I'm not sure. Or just sick squirrelly adolescent humor! :rotfl

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Rippie used to do this. R2 climbed on my back while I layed on the bed watching tv, I felt warmth running all over my back:tilt
I thought they only did this to new people.

nutnbutlove
10-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I had a individual who attends animals while you are out of town come by to introduce him to my dog, cat and squirrel. Well, all went well with the dog and cat but when I went to introduce him to Tinkerbelle she jumped over to the side of the cage and pee'ed out the side at him. I still need to work on her manners!

Buddy'sMom
10-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Glad he's not the only one!

He always did pee in the same area; very convenient. We put layers of newspaper there and it was very convenient to slip it out and replace. He is now mostly peeing out one side of the cage but sometimes another (both near his old spot).

EXCEPT: This morning he was sitting on the chair behind me as I typed when my rear suddenly felt wet and warm!!! Big pee! :shakehead

Buddy'sMom
10-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Forgot to include his age - about 11 - 12 weeks. Is this an age thing? Is he growing up? (looking for a bright side, here)

Secret Squirrel
10-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Glad he's not the only one!
EXCEPT: This morning he was sitting on the chair behind me as I typed when my rear suddenly felt wet and warm!!! Big pee! :shakehead

AHHHHH nothing like the smell and feel of warm pee in the morning!!!!!:thumbsup

GhosTS
10-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Many animals pee on others to show love, or ownership.Sparks always peed on my through the cage everytime I was near it.So I guess it was an affection thing.

Oh and I get that warm load of pee from Alvy and Chipy every morning.

susanw
10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Couple of weeks ago we had Buddy's cage outside for some sun. Twice, he peed throught the bars of his cage - in the grass it was kind of cute. Now he has started doing it inside -- much less cute!! Amazing range! So far, this has been only when the cage was on a screened sunporch and he was by himself; not when in the living room.

SO: Was he afraid? (outside he doesn't like being in the cage; the sunporch times, it was rainy or windy and he was clearly unhappy). Or was he angry at being outside or alone? Or do they just pee randomly, wherever they happen to be, and I am just reading too much into it? (Since he could pee by himself, he otherwise has gone ONLY on the newspaper side of his cage, until now.)

Anything to do - other than pee-proof the area around his cage?

I have a permanent squirrel that I carry his large cage outside every day, he got me in the face yesterday! I think they just go when and where they want to.

elizalalala
10-09-2006, 08:06 PM
On the upside, you can be glad he isn't a tiger. There was a white tiger male at our local city zoo that would pace nonchalantly and then suddenly rear up against the bars of his cage and pee at an unsuspecting tourist. It had an amazing range and was incredibly accurate. It nearly nailed two of my good friends one day while I was standing there watching. I can just imagine being the chaperone on a school field trip and having half the class hosed down with tiger pee. (Unsurprisingly, they transferred him to another zoo... probably one where the cage is further from the guests.)

I think the tiger did it out of boredom and malice, not sure about your squirrel.

Buddy'sMom
10-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Didn't realize this post would be so entertaining -- Elizalalala, that's hysterical (unless you're on the receiving end, I guess).

Hadn't even considered it could be out of affection. :dono Maybe yesterday, though I usually make sure he has peed before coming out of his cage in the morning and forgot this time. But the thru-the-cage thing is mostly when we aren't around (which is a good thing, apparently). Oh well. Now we are putting newspaper down OUTSIDE the cage!