PDA

View Full Version : How to help a tortured squirrel

Caglemedic
11-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I picked up a 3 month old boy a week ago. He is extremely scared and will lay on his back screaming. I have been able to get him used to me and he will only bite when I put him back in the cage. He is still terrified of kids and other squirrels. Wee noticed he has one toe missing and some slightly slow neuros on the left back leg but I am hoping he will get more brasin and the foot will function better. They had him in an aquarium, so I think that is part of it but I have never seen a squirrel so scared that he refuses to come out from the blankets and screams if anoter squirrel is anywhere near him. The people had teenagers and I was told oh hes mean. I explained no he is terrified but got no explianation of why hes scared. I think they liked to rattle his cage so to speak.

Now here is the question.... Any ideas on how to help this guy? I have got to get him moving to help his leg to rehabilitate him.

island rehabber
11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Try a little Bach Rescue Remedy on him to calm his nerves.....
Move very slowly and speak very softly around him....
Cover him with fleece, including his face, and then begin massaging
It may take a loooong time...have patience. :peace

tazzy
11-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I picked up a 3 month old boy a week ago. He is extremely scared and will lay on his back screaming. I have been able to get him used to me and he will only bite when I put him back in the cage. He is still terrified of kids and other squirrels. Wee noticed he has one toe missing and some slightly slow neuros on the left back leg but I am hoping he will get more brasin and the foot will function better. They had him in an aquarium, so I think that is part of it but I have never seen a squirrel so scared that he refuses to come out from the blankets and screams if anoter squirrel is anywhere near him. The people had teenagers and I was told oh hes mean. I explained no he is terrified but got no explianation of why hes scared. I think they liked to rattle his cage so to speak.

Now here is the question.... Any ideas on how to help this guy? I have got to get him moving to help his leg to rehabilitate him.

First of all I want to pat you on the back for taking this little guy out of a bad situation and giving him a better life:) It sounds like he needs love, security, and more love. You're awesome!

Adoresquirrels
11-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Stories like this just make me sick :soapbox God bless you for taking him in, I hope he can have some semblance of a normal life. :grouphug

PBluejay2
11-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I had one like this a while back. He was given to me because of his behavior--screaming, growling, making whatever you call those desperate noises they make when they are letting you know they are scared and want to be left alone, trying to frighten you away. I named him "Taz" (for Tazmanian Devil). It took a month or so of gentle coaxing, but he turned out to be a complete sweetie.

Katherine
11-30-2009, 08:19 AM
People who do such horible things to animals s/b locked up. I have found from my experience that animals sense your love, good intentions & if you talk to him gently, he will start to trust you. Bless you for saving him.