PDA

View Full Version : first squirrel

southerengent
10-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Just found a baby squirrel, looks like he or she has been without mother for a few days, Ive done a little research whitch leed me hear. My local feed and seed said to feed it goats milk... I have seen hear where it said to use salt,sugar,water. So for the first 8 hours I gave it about 1cc of that. In the morning I will visit a pet store to see what they have to say. I did however give the little guy a half and half of water and goats milk at about 11pm.
I hope this will not harm him.. what next? looks to be around 5 weeks old. eyes wide open and all furr..

muffinsquirrel
10-07-2006, 01:33 AM
First thing in the morning, find a Wildlife Rehabber in your area and get the squirrel to him/her. The rehabber will be able to give the baby the help it needs to survive. There is a forum on this site that can tell you who to contact to find a rehabber, or you can look under Georgia Parks and Wildlife Department in the phone book. Another place to find help is your local vet or the humane society.

Good luck,

muffinsquirrel

island rehabber
10-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Just found a baby squirrel, looks like he or she has been without mother for a few days, Ive done a little research whitch leed me hear. My local feed and seed said to feed it goats milk... I have seen hear where it said to use salt,sugar,water. So for the first 8 hours I gave it about 1cc of that. In the morning I will visit a pet store to see what they have to say. I did however give the little guy a half and half of water and goats milk at about 11pm.
I hope this will not harm him.. what next? looks to be around 5 weeks old. eyes wide open and all furr..

Yes, I agree that the best thing to do is to find a wildlife rehabber in your area and bring the squirrel to them. The pet store will most likely NOT know anything about squirrels! This baby may be in the beginnings of starvation and dehydration and, although he looks OK right now, can suffer a seizure and die quickly if not treated right away. Please, for the squirrel's sake -- and let us know how everything works out, OK? If you need help finding a rehabber you can PM me.

GhosTS
10-07-2006, 11:13 AM
The important information is already given.Just dont feed him with goats milk and water.Its too risky.Contact a rehabber.Let us know how it goes.

Gabe
10-09-2006, 07:33 AM
God, I love you guys! I'm new to the squirrel board, about two weeks now. I have been really enjoying reading and posting. You all have such good advice. But, best of all, you refer to rehabbers rather than giving advice to the genreal public. I've been rehabbing since 1994 and have received many animals that someone has tried to raise. They are often doing it out of the goodness of their heart, and just as often not thinking what would be best for the animal rather what would be more fun for them. No offense meant to the kind hearted person posting a question about what to do with the squirrel they just found. Just wanted to tell everyone how great they are. Gabe