PDA

View Full Version : My squirrel Sassy needs a friend!

denisem0725
11-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a squirrel that was given to me about five weeks ago. Best I can guess she is between 12-14 weeks old. She runs in a wheel jumps all over and in her hammock, wrestles with her stuffed frog, just has a grand ole time, but she really likes it when she gets to play with my two five week old kitties. They are getting too big tho to let then play with her anymore.....So I was wondering, what kind of animal can I get that would make a good friend and cagemate for my little girl? Any suggestions?

Legomom
11-24-2009, 06:15 PM
May I ask is there anything wrong with your squirrel that makes her not likely to be released? I ask because we've had a lot of people who kept squirrels as pets because they were cute or sweet, come here after they turn a year old or so looking to get rid of or release their squirrel because it has wilded up (start biting, being nasty). In my opinion, gray squirrels (in general) have not been domesticated like cats & dogs to the point that they make good pets. There are a few exceptions, but most of the squirrels that you see here are non-releasable for one reason or another. Your squirrel is still young enough to be wilded up & acclimated to be released & returned to the trees. If this is something that you would consider, we have several members here in Florida that can take her & raise her to be released. Or, the wonderful members here on TSB can help you through the process yourself.

I ask that you take some time to seriously consider if you're keeping your squirrel for your sake or hers. :peace

PBluejay2
11-24-2009, 07:59 PM
May I ask is there anything wrong with your squirrel that makes her not likely to be released? I ask because we've had a lot of people who kept squirrels as pets because they were cute or sweet, come here after they turn a year old or so looking to get rid of or release their squirrel because it has wilded up (start biting, being nasty). In my opinion, gray squirrels (in general) have not been domesticated like cats & dogs to the point that they make good pets. There are a few exceptions, but most of the squirrels that you see here are non-releasable for one reason or another. Your squirrel is still young enough to be wilded up & acclimated to be released & returned to the trees. If this is something that you would consider, we have several members here in Florida that can take her & raise her to be released. Or, the wonderful members here on TSB can help you through the process yourself.

I ask that you take some time to seriously consider if you're keeping your squirrel for your sake or hers. :peace

:goodpost

muffinsquirrel
11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree - there are very few things more unpleasant than a 'pet' tree squirrel that wants to be free. Ask yourself if it is worth it to you to keep her as a pet for a few more months for your enjoyment and then go through the heartbreak of her turning on you when she matures. Believe me, although it is hard to raise and release a squirrel, it is a thousand times worse to raise one and have it make it very plain to you that they no longer want to stay. Not only do you have the heartbreak of missing your pet, but also the pain of being rejected.

Do a lot of reading on here to see what keeping a squirrel really requires, and how they act - what all you have to do to keep one even if it doesn't wild up. It's expensive, very time consumming, and takes a huge amount of space to do it correctly.

Good luck,

muffinsquirrel