PDA

View Full Version : Release of special squirrels

grinn75
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a baby I've raised since 3 days old. The problem is she seems a bit special. I've mentioned her in other threads, her name is Bean. She had horrible digestive issues and was sickly for the longest time which required alot of attention from me. She also has some issue with her hips or pelvis which makes it difficult for her to sit up properly. This was an injury she must have sustained when she fell from the nest because it wasn't evident until she opened her eyes and really started crawling and walking. She is clumsy when walking on narrow surfaces and often has trouble staying on the smaller less stable branches. Anyway, she is now 14 weeks, has been in an outdoor enclosure for 3 weeks and last weekend was finally release day! She seems to be getting better and better the more she climbs and runs around in the trees. She seems to like to spend time around me so I've been trying to make myself scarce but this is difficult. I have to admit I've become a bit more attached to her than I have to any previous babies. I'm so worried when she gets chased by the older babies she will fall and hurt herself or worse. I'm just wondering if I did the right thing releasing her. Any advice or comfort for this worried momma?

JLM27
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
The vet said that Samantha (qv) couldn't be released because she must never get pregnant due to issues with her pelvis. What do you think Bean girl thinks about being with you or running in the trees out there?

grinn75
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
It was breaking my heart seeing her locked in a cage. She just wanted out so bad. So I finally did it and she is happy but she isn't exactly acting like a wild squirrel either. Other squirrels I've released within days they don't want to be touched and don't come back to the cage. She slept in a palm tree the first night but has slept in her cage every night since. She hears me come out of the house and she usually runs over to greet me. She spends alot of time on the ground since she has difficulty with the tree thing. That worries me she might fall prey to cats, dogs, hawks, etc. I'm hoping with time she will become more wild but at the same time I want to do the responsible thing. I want to do what is in her best interest not mine. I guess I'm looking for objective opinions.

JLM27
11-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Some squirrels are considered NR because they can't wild up enough. How you judge that is beyond me, but behavior that puts them at risk is certainly a weighty factor. Not being scared of cats and dogs, not being able to climb well-enough, inability to move quickly, pelvic deformity that makes pregancy a death sentence, jumping on human strangers, no wariness about traffic hazards, neurological damage, we have seen a lot of these conditions on here, and it is usually a judgment call as to when to domestic the little one and when to let it take its chances. Mortality in the first year is more than 50%. Talk about learning the hard way! Perhaps a larger cage? run of your house when you are home? More play time out of the cage?

grinn75
11-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I hadn't thought about her hip or pelvis issue affecting her ability to breed. I always think of my babies as forever babies. I kind of lose track of them as they get older and go off to live their own lives. Maybe this week will have to be a trial release; just to see how things go. I was wondering if she ends up being NR would it be feasible to have supervised outings in the yard on a daily basis? I would definitely build her a bigger cage but she does love to run around the yard and up the trees. Also how long does a squirrel in captivity live?

virgo062
11-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I give my KnotHead supervised playtime outside and he loves it. Just stay close because of predators. I noticed when Knothead is in the house he is reserved and mostly goes in circles but outside he likes to hop(in a straightline) I stay really close to him...

grinn75
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't know if she is "special" in a nuerological sense. I suppose I should take her to a vet and see what they have to say about the pelvis issue at the very least. She was out and about today while I was at work and my husband didn't see her when he was home for lunch which worried me a little. When I got home from work I didn't see her so I called and called for her for about 30 minutes. I looked in the neighbors yard and every time I saw a squirrel coming I thought maybe it was her. I finally decided to walk the neighborhood and found her clinging to an oak tree in my neighbors front yard. She looked scared to death and acted completely freaked out. I got her home and she drank a bunch of water and gobbled down some food before retiring to the palm tree in the back yard. I am so torn up about what to do. I have never had this much anxiety about releasing an animal and I've released a ton of wildlife. Maybe that's telling me she shouldn't be released. If I decide to keep her I will definitely need some advice on how best to care for her.

Nancy in New York
11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't know if she is "special" in a nuerological sense. I suppose I should take her to a vet and see what they have to say about the pelvis issue at the very least. She was out and about today while I was at work and my husband didn't see her when he was home for lunch which worried me a little. When I got home from work I didn't see her so I called and called for her for about 30 minutes. I looked in the neighbors yard and every time I saw a squirrel coming I thought maybe it was her. I finally decided to walk the neighborhood and found her clinging to an oak tree in my neighbors front yard. She looked scared to death and acted completely freaked out. I got her home and she drank a bunch of water and gobbled down some food before retiring to the palm tree in the back yard. I am so torn up about what to do. I have never had this much anxiety about releasing an animal and I've released a ton of wildlife. Maybe that's telling me she shouldn't be released. If I decide to keep her I will definitely need some advice on how best to care for her.

I think that what you are feeling is telling you volumes...That just isn't right for a little squirrel to be clinging to a tree looking terrified and scared to death...there is some sort of a problem.
It is hard to admit this, because then it actually causes another problem. What to do with her, and how happy will she be...
My only fear right now is that this may happen again, and for some reason something freaked this little one out. I know you don't want to hear this, but I would recage her. How large is the cage that she is in now? Can you spend time with her inside when you come home from work, have you given her time inside of the house...
This is tough...but I think in your heart you know that she is not safe outside alone...:grouphug

PBluejay2
11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
IMHO this is a non-releasable squirrel--pelvic issues, inability to adapt. ALL squirrels will look out the window and want to go out there and check things out. At times (seasonal usually), they seem frantic/desperate about it and may not be the sweet little fuzzers they usually are. But if for any medical or behavioral reason they cannot live a reasonably long and healthy life outdoors in their natural habitat (assuming they aren't taken by predators, cars, or whatever), they should be cared for in a protective environment.

grinn75
11-17-2009, 07:38 PM
The release cage is 6x3x2. I would definitely add some space if this were to become a permanent home. I can't thank you all enough for all the words of advice. This has definitely helped tremendously. I just don't want to make an emotional decision but one that is best for her. Once she is back in a cage what is your opinion about supervised outings in the yard? Do you think this would be too risky?

PBluejay2
11-17-2009, 08:28 PM
The release cage is 6x3x2. I would definitely add some space if this were to become a permanent home. I can't thank you all enough for all the words of advice. This has definitely helped tremendously. I just don't want to make an emotional decision but one that is best for her. Once she is back in a cage what is your opinion about supervised outings in the yard? Do you think this would be too risky?

I'd get her a halter. It will take a while to get her used to it, but as far as supervised outings, one day she could bolt up a tree and you may never see her again. I have four non-releasables (one pet), and two have a 160 sq. ft. outside "cage" with lots of branches and so forth to clamor on/around, pots of dirt to dig in, ans o forth. Of the two I have indoors, one is the "house squirrel" who has free roam of the house. He and the other one (neuro squirrel who has a cage) go outside to "sun" in cages.

Legomom
11-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I have a non-releasable & she adapted very quickly to the Safety Ferret Lead & Harness that she uses now. I walk her outside in my yard & she enjoys it very much. I would advise against any that have the vest or thicker collars. In my experience, you can't secure the squirrel as well...their little heads slip right out. Sneaky little boogers! LOL!

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Foot-Safety-Ferret-Lead-Harness-by-Four-Paws-NEW_W0QQitemZ370267216182QQcategoryZ121854QQcmdZVi ewItem?rvr_id=

I think you are getting good advice & that it would be in your girl's best interest to be a house squirrel. Let the fun begin! :grouphug

grinn75
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I actually do have a halter for her. I planned for the possibility she might not be releasable. She hates it of course but I can work with her to get her used to it. I realize this will be a big responsibility if we give her a forever home. I just hope we make the right decision.

grinn75
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Poor Bean. This morning she was having a wonderful time making a nest up in her palm tree when one of my other recently released squirrels came over and chased her out. The older squirrel is 16 weeks and her name is Honey, but she is not sweet. She chases poor Bean relentlessly which is why I think I found her so far from home yesterday. Honey chases all the squirrels out of her yard when she is there and even goes after her brother sometimes. She is a such snot! :pissed Even though Bean was acting more "wild" today, after she got chased out of the tree I put her back in her release cage. I made an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon to get her pelvis looked at. I guess my decision will hinge on that. Thanks for all the advice and I'll post tomorrow after the vet appointment.

Nancy in New York
11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Poor Bean. This morning she was having a wonderful time making a nest up in her palm tree when one of my other recently released squirrels came over and chased her out. The older squirrel is 16 weeks and her name is Honey, but she is not sweet. She chases poor Bean relentlessly which is why I think I found her so far from home yesterday. Honey chases all the squirrels out of her yard when she is there and even goes after her brother sometimes. She is a such snot! :pissed Even though Bean was acting more "wild" today, after she got chased out of the tree I put her back in her release cage. I made an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon to get her pelvis looked at. I guess my decision will hinge on that. Thanks for all the advice and I'll post tomorrow after the vet appointment.

Sounds good...decide tomorrow or even take longer...You are in Florida so there is no need to rush a decision...no hurry to get that little one out...Up here we have to move them out way before the snow comes in time for them to make a nest....:jump . Good Luck at the vets...:grouphug

JLM27
11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Virgo --- regarding Knothead. You are not as fast as any predator out there, not even the neighbor's cat. Possibly you can stop a dog with a voice command, but other than that, it will be over before you react. We lost our reflexes a long evolutionary time ago. Now we are luckyt if we can just play squash, much less stop a charging cat or a plummeting hawk.

virgo062
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
You are so right...Luckily the only predator I have to worry about is the dreaded Hawk and I am never more than a foot from him. He is always right next to me I don't have cats or dogs to fend off. If the Hawk comes after KnotHead he will have to go through me first tinfoil.....

grinn75
11-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, Bean has found her forever home right here with us. We saw the vet today and she has been deemed unreleasable. I have to admit I'm a little sad she will never be the wild squirrel nature intended. But I'm also a little relieved she will always be safe within the loving arms of our family. I'm sure I will be calling on all of you for advice over the coming weeks since I have never owned a pet squirrel before. I realize she will have different needs than the rehab squirrels. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for reading and replying to my incredibly long posts. You all have been such a huge help over the last couple of months. :thankyou

Nancy in New York
11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Well now you really do have to keep us around...Poor baby that she can never go free...but lucky to have such a devoted mommy to take care of her...:grouphug

PBluejay2
11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm sorry that she can't be released as you had hoped, but very glad and appreciative that she found you and you found her :-)

grinn75
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I have started a new thread under the Pet Squirrel forum to ask for advice and get some tips on owning a pet squirrel. Thanks for the help!http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=463160#post463160