PDA

View Full Version : Flying squirrel question

izzybellgirl
11-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm trying to decide between a chipmunk or a flying southern squirrel. I like the flying squirrel because they are more cuddly, whereas a chipmunk would rather explore.

Here's my question, from experience, how loud is a sfs at night? I don't mind some noise (like rattling things in the cage.) I'm just concerned about very loud chirps. I've heard sugar gliders get very loud, which is why I crossed them off right away.

What's everyone's opinion?

Squerly
11-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Well they are nocturnal and I can tell you from experience that they like to run on their exercise wheel for hours at a time. So if he's in the same room and the wheel squeaks... well you get the idea. :)

Ardilla
11-15-2009, 08:51 AM
My flyers are in the master bath (I put plywood over the garden tub to make a platform--we still have a shower) and we close the bathroom door at night because they get very active jumping around the cage and it rattles a lot. The vocalizations are not every night or for very long. The noise comes from the rambunctious play.

Hibiscus071886
11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
My little guy barely makes any noise, the occasional chewing on the cage is all I hear at night, and I'm a light sleeper..He is in my bedroom cause right now I am living with my parents till the Fiance and I find a house so my room is pretty much my space to have anything lol but they are pretty good noise wise I was surprised.

izzybellgirl
11-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for helping me make a decision!

After tons of research, and your thoughts, I have placed a deposit on a sfs today. One will be ready in 2 weeks, and I soooo can't wait to see him or her. Atleast I have time to get prepared for the baby.

:jump

TinyPaws
11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
One thing you should relize..southern flyers are affectionate when they are baby's...but as they mature and can get around pretty good, most of them don't like to cuddle or be handled...so if you are looking for something to cuddle with, I don't think you will find it in a SFS, at least not long term...

If you've kept up with the posts from Amylou, Skul, Ardilla, Miriam..you will see how they become more and more independant as they get older...the squirrels that is :D

There are a few exceptions as with Tiffany..but I think hers has more to do with the fact that she is handicapped.....JMO..

muffinsquirrel
11-15-2009, 07:23 PM
TP is right - flyers are NOT cuddly pets except when they are babies. As they grow up they become more and more independent. They only want to be held on THEIR terms, when THEY decide it's the right time. They will, however, use you as a 'jumping-off' spot as they dash off to play! You do not 'have' a flyer as a pet - you are OWNED by a flyer, and the flyer is the King of the House, and it is up to you to figure out his mood, his wants, and what he wants to do now. If they want to snuggle, you snuggle. If they want to eat, you feed. If they want to sleep, you fluff their pillow for them. And if they want to play chase, you just give up, because you won't catch them until they are good and ready to be caught!

They're wonderful creatures to share your life with, and I wouldn't trade them for anything!

muffinsquirrel