PDA

View Full Version : Good Rehab Books?

elizalalala
10-05-2006, 10:16 PM
What are some books you guys like for rehabbing? I saw there were piles of them on amazon.com and I'd like to get some with personal testimonials so I can make my money count.

rygel1hardt
10-06-2006, 01:15 AM
My favorite rehab book
( and I have a lot of them) is the one I got from Chris's squirrels and more called Wild Mammal Babies the first 48 hours and beyond. Its 348 pages and has lots of pictures. I have used it many times allready and have only had it a couple of months. It is an expensive book but a one time purchase at least. I also have a book called "Squirrel rehabilatation handbook" which is also good but it used to be that you had to be a liscensed rehabber to purchase it. I dont know if that is still the case. I might be able to recommend some more if you let me know your interest as to whether you want to learn about just squirrels or wanting to learn about all mammals or birds etc. Stacey

What are some books you guys like for rehabbing? I saw there were piles of them on amazon.com and I'd like to get some with personal testimonials so I can make my money count.

muffinsquirrel
10-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Yes, definately. The Wild Mammal Babies book is really great. It's pricy, but well worth it.

muffinsquirrel

island rehabber
10-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Yes, definately. The Wild Mammal Babies book is really great. It's pricy, but well worth it.

muffinsquirrel

Yes, I have both "Wild Mammal Babies" and "The Squirrel Handbook" (which you do need a license to buy). I find myself using "Wild Mammal Babies" more and more, as it is easier to follow and gives more detailed, practical advice. It is also newer than the Handbook and some therapies and techniques have changed drastically in the time between the two books. "Wild Mammal Babies" also gives doage charts for every wildlife med you can think of -- what a blessing!

Critter_Queen
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Oh SUUUUURE, I ask and no one responds! LOL! :D (it's under the General area)

I'll just have to buy Wild Mammal Babies, then...sounds like a great resource. I don't usually buy expensive books unless I know they are what I want.

Does anyone have the Principles of Wildlife Rehabilitation 2001 edition? Is it worth $70? Do you think a revised edition will be coming out soon since this one is 5, almost 6, years old already?

island rehabber
10-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Does anyone have the Principles of Wildlife Rehabilitation 2001 edition? Is it worth $70? Do you think a revised edition will be coming out soon since this one is 5, almost 6, years old already?
Never seen that book, CQ -- but I thought of another great little pamphlet/booklet ...I have it open at all times when I have pinkies-to-fuzzy aged babies because it has the best charts for age/weight/# of feedings per day that I've ever seen. It's called: Hand Rearing Infant Tree Squirrels by PC Hanes. Chris may be able to get it for you...excellent quick-reference type guide. Hanes has another one called: Injury and Illness in Tree Squirrels which is also good.

Critter_Queen
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I just bought the Wild Mammal Babies and Injury and Illness in Tree Squirrels at squirrelsandmore.com...I saw the other handbook, but thought it would probably reiterate (sp?) much of what I have in my three-ring binder...I'll probably add it to my next order since you recommend it.

"Principles" is available through the NWRA for $70 if you are a member...I'm just not sure I want to pay $70 for a book that's going on six years old, ya know? So much has been changed in rehab over those years...

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup

muffinsquirrel
10-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I have the 1998 edition of 'Principals'. It's a good reference book, although I find thaat I use Wild Mammal Babies' more. I bought my copy of 'Principals' off of eBay or Half.com, and paid considerably less for it. You can also check <used.addall.com/> for this and many other 'squirrel' books. I have never had any problem with the many purchases I have made from them.

muffinsquirrel

Momma Squirrel
10-06-2006, 03:26 PM
This isn't a book for rehabbing just pure enjoyment, it is called HIGH IN THE CLOUDS by Paul McCartney, yelp from the Beatles. I received this book as a birthday present last year from my sister, it is about $20.00. Sad at the beginning but everyone lives happily ever after except the bad guys. Illustrations are very unique. Never knew the wild Beatle was quite the childrens story teller but he has actually won awards for his talents. Guess we all grow up sooner or later or at least do something really good with all our fortune.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-06-2006, 05:58 PM
M.S. Maybe we should start a thread in the "other" thread about books people have read and liked? I love to read.

Secret Squirrel
10-07-2006, 12:52 AM
I also recommend the Mammals 48 Hours and beyond. I got it from Chris too!! It has helped me many times and I just love studying with it. LOL makes me feel like I am in school !!!!!!
Also, on the story end of books......I have read "A Favor In Return" a wonderful squirrel story and the squirrels actually speak!!! It is written by one of our own members. Check out our member Bravo and his profile.....it's the best 10 bucks I've ever spent!:thumbsup

Mrs. Jack
10-07-2006, 06:23 AM
I also recommend the Mammals 48 Hours and beyond. I got it from Chris too!! It has helped me many times and I just love studying with it. LOL makes me feel like I am in school !!!!!!
Also, on the story end of books......I have read "A Favor In Return" a wonderful squirrel story and the squirrels actually speak!!! It is written by one of our own members. Check out our member Bravo and his profile.....it's the best 10 bucks I've ever spent!:thumbsup

How cool is that?? I'll definitely take a look.

muffinsquirrel
10-07-2006, 08:10 AM
OK, I've found a new book - it isn't about flyers, but it IS about squirrels. It is 'Memorial To George, by Himself', by 'the Author of Miss Tiverton Goes Out', 1929. It is the 'diary' of an english squirrel, and his opinion of, among other things, the way humans keep squirrels, as opposed to the way they SHOULD do things.

I got my copy here:

http://used.addall.com/

and it is a very delightful book - I think most any 'squirrely' person would enjoy it.

muffinsquirrel

elizalalala
10-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Wow, all these great responses! I had actually put in an order for "Wild Mammal Babies" from Chris's before I posted this query... and now I am extra glad I took the gamble and bought it. Has anyone used "First Aid for Wildlife: Basic Care for Birds and Mammals (Basic Manual Wildlife Rehabilitation)" by Irene Ruth? It had mixed reviews on amazon.com but I thought it seemed like a good concept. Also, has anyone tried "Practical Wildlife Care" by Les Stocker, which I think was written for UK rehab but the reviews say it transfers to the US well?

Where do you buy the books you need a license to get? And would it have to be my own license? I rehab under a blanket license here.

I am interested in books on rehabbing all animals, not just squirrels. I'm planning on buying "Captive Care and Medical Reference for the Rehabilitation of Insectivorous Bats" by Amanda Lollar soon. These pricey books are sort of a once a month deal for me. But, it will probably take me a month to read each of them and I'm doing research for next spring. :)

Thanks so far everyone! This is so helpful... so I don't have to buy a pig in a poke (a squirrel in a poke?)

muffinsquirrel
10-08-2006, 09:27 AM
When you are buying your books, don't forget to check eBay, half.com, and AddAll. The only book that I have paid full price for is Wild Mammal Babies - the rest have come from one of the 3 above named sources, and I have never had any problem with any of them. Both eBay and half.com have a place to list what you are looking for, and they will notify you by email when the book comes available. Also, even if you find it listed somewhere, check at AddAll books before you buy - it is often cheaper there than you find it on auction.

Good luck building your library.

muffinsquirrel

Mars
12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
This is an older thread but I'd like to pick it up and add "Becoming a Tiger How Baby Animals Learn to Live in the Wild." by Suasan McCarthy. She was a co-author of "When Elephants Weep" It is a fasniating read and gives the rehabber a lot to think about. I highly recommend it.

Gabe
12-13-2006, 06:47 AM
This is an older thread but I'd like to pick it up and add "Becoming a Tiger How Baby Animals Learn to Live in the Wild." by Suasan McCarthy. She was a co-author of "When Elephants Weep" It is a fasniating read and gives the rehabber a lot to think about. I highly recommend it.

I loved When Elephants Weep, I've read it twice and recommend it to all my new rehabbers and volunteers. It starts kind of slow, and scientifically, but if you stick with it, you won't regret it. Recommended it on another thread, but I don't think anyone's picked it up.

Mars
12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
After reading Becoming a Tiger I want to read When Elephants Weep but I am avoiding book stores to after Christmass. It's the only way I can afford to buy gifts! x_biggrin I am so bad with books. I hate being book poor!!! :crazy :crazy

Gabe
12-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm a library addict. There is nothing I cannot get, both my local libraries are online, I put in my request, and they call me when it gets here, only takes a couple of days, even the best sellers.

Mars
12-13-2006, 09:42 PM
But then you have to give it back :shakehead and remove all your sticky markers and no notes in the margins. No fun no fun. I still have my very first book.

Here's another book. It's a bit dated but still has usable info "Practical guide to Impractical Pets" by Barbara Burn 1997 Howell Book House.

And the Stokes "Guide to Animal Tracking and Behavior" by Donald and Lillian Stokes 1986 Little, Brown and Company. This one I find myself refering to a lot.