PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss!

Meiko
11-03-2009, 09:46 PM
My 3 month old baby squirrel (whom I have had for over a month) is starting to lose his hair. He is losing it along his face and starting to lose it along his spine. It doesn't look like a fugus. It's just bare and pink. He scratches a lot but doesn't have fleas. I have looked at pictures of mange and it doesnt' look like the pictures maybe his case is mild or not progessed that far. I am not sure. What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

PBluejay2
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
My 3 month old baby squirrel (whom I have had for over a month) is starting to lose his hair. He is losing it along his face and starting to lose it along his spine. It doesn't look like a fugus. It's just bare and pink. He scratches a lot but doesn't have fleas. I have looked at pictures of mange and it doesnt' look like the pictures maybe his case is mild or not progessed that far. I am not sure. What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

If he's only three months old and has been/is still on formula (assuming you've been feeding him either Esbilac or Fox Valley), I wouldn't think it would be nutritional. Mange mites are often first noticable around the face, particularly the eyes and ears, so this may be a case of the infestation in an earlier stage. A picture would help.

Jackie in Tampa
11-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Hello!
Are the tips of his ears scaley and around his eyes? Usuall dry flakey skin accompanies mange. Otherwise I would think dietary...can you tell us what his diet is and what it has been.
Is he still on formiula and what kind?
Can you post a pic? That will help TSBs rehabbers know what is going on.
btw...:Welcome welcome to TSB!

Meiko
11-04-2009, 06:43 PM
He has been on Esbilac, but is now not wanting the bottle as much. And is not wanting to eat nuts, except for peanut butter. He strictly want fruits and vegetables. There also isn't any scaley skin on or around his eyes or ears. His hair loss does seem to be progressing. I am giving him lots of carrots which is said to help restore the nutritional loss.

Jackie in Tampa
11-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I see he is now having seizures also...can we get a ppic?

Abigail
11-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Hello,
I read this post. I have seen them with very thin tail hair, or missing lots of tail hair. But I have never seen the tails completly hairless. I think it is some type of mange or skin condition. I don't know what causes it.

Meiko
11-13-2009, 03:50 PM
he has all the hair on his tail. He is scratching it off his head,face, and back that he can reach with his back foot.

FallensMommie
11-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Here is a set of pictures depicting mange on a squirrel, it's a fox squirrel but that doesn't matter....it shows the progression of mange by dates:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dsquirrel%2Bmange%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701%26fr2%3Dtab-web&w=300&h=239&imgurl=www.toledopar.org%2Fimages%2Fsquirrel%2Fsqu irrel2a.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toledopar.org%2Fsquirrel.htm&size=37k&name=squirrel2a+jpg&p=squirrel+mange&oid=6774200ffc16a7e8&fr2=tab-web&no=14&tt=104&sigr=115e3are2&sigi=11gmj0kmc&sigb=12vhmk91d

Does this resemble anything going on with your squirrel.

jhonywillsh
01-16-2010, 06:54 AM
When most people see a squirrel with patchy hair loss, they assume that the squirrel has contracted a case of mange. Squirrel mange is similar to the mange contracted by other animals, but is caused by a different mite--the squirrel mange mite . Squirrels with mange usually recover and the missing hair grows back, although they may appear very damaged and ill during the course of the mange outbreak.