PDA

View Full Version : Malocclusions-crooked

NaturesGift
11-02-2009, 09:52 PM
THis is Bartles. She had ben accidently released but thankfully I got her back in Her teeth were way worse but she snapped the long top tooth on the cage bars :(

B4 trimming
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk194/natureagift2/DSCF0002.jpg

After
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk194/natureagift2/DSCF0004-1.jpg

They are as crooked as they look :( And though I want to give her time to see how they grow back.. I just dont see how if they dont touch... that they will ever properly wear down.:dono thoughts?? TY!

Mandie

PBluejay2
11-02-2009, 11:20 PM
What a lot of people don't understand is that both their lower jaw and their upper palates are split, not fused like ours, and this lets their teeth move independently of one another. Because of this some think their teeth are "looser" than ours. The first pic looks like one tooth is much longer than the other, but the way the jaw is being held open contributes to this apparent discrepancy. The bottom pic doesn't appear too bad, though one is still a bit longer than the other. If at all possible, I'd try to trim the one tooth to even them up (taking care to keep both sides of the lower jaw parallel). The tops look fine to me, so there must be some ability to grind them down herself.

Jackie in Tampa
11-03-2009, 06:01 AM
What a lot of people don't understand is that both their lower jaw and their upper palates are split, not fused like ours, and this lets their teeth move independently of one another. Because of this some think their teeth are "looser" than ours. The first pic looks like one tooth is much longer than the other, but the way the jaw is being held open contributes to this apparent discrepancy. The bottom pic doesn't appear too bad, though one is still a bit longer than the other. If at all possible, I'd try to trim the one tooth to even them up (taking care to keep both sides of the lower jaw parallel). The tops look fine to me, so there must be some ability to grind them down herself.
this is sooo true.
Their bottom teeth work like the two fingers we use to sign the Peace Sign...
so they move alot...they can split forward/backward, and side to side.
When thye are carring a hazelnut you can really see how independantly the lower teeth can move. However the uppers do not move.
I agree that the picture is not too bad...I would monitor them and use good cutters if you do clip...I use a popsicle stick behind teeth, it stablizes head and keeps teeth from being swallowed and also keeps tongue safe.
I do it alone Mandie, and no one has ever said the loved me when I was done, but I know they do!:D
Good Luck!

island rehabber
11-03-2009, 06:40 AM
I agree with JIT and PBJ2....Bartles is so fortunate that her top teeth look fine, and are obviously grinding themselves down appropriately. The two mallocs I raised had horrendous top teeth -- Peppina has a 'fang' that actually grows out horizontally and Tomo must clip her monthly. That's when you're in for real trouble....Bartles might be ok.

NaturesGift
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
:thankyou :bowdown

yeah her top tooth on the right was bad but she is not happy in a cage and she broke it herself on the bars :dono you can see its kinda crooked towards the other tooth? and its missing a piece.

So glad that you think it will be ok! How long should it be before I know?

Yeah I will trim it down a bit further. She doesnt really like ppl:D and She got out of my helpers grip, But I will have another go at it:thumbsup