PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Pox: A Case Study

Wildthingssanctuary
10-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Hello all!

I had an awful case of squirrel pox this summer (2009). It is such a terrible disease and so frustrating that there are no real robust cures. Even the wildlife vets here at Cornell University were of no help.

Mandie was a superstar sending me Acyclovir and Nystop. THANK YOU MANDIE!!! I am still unsure whether it helped or not, but was so grateful to have some HOPE.

I made a whole "case study" on my website and thought you all here at The Board would be interested. I really wanted to document it the very best I could from presentation to death & release (yes, some made it!).

See: http://www.wildthingssanctuary.org/squirrel-pox.html

And please get in touch if you have any questions!
:) Victoria & the wild things!

Lady Squirrelly
10-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I found this very interesting. I have not had to deal with it myself, but have seen lots of it on the board.

What about the necropsy on the little squirrel?? What did you learn if anything??

Thanks for sharing.

Wildthingssanctuary
10-31-2009, 05:22 PM
We haven't done the necropsy yet. Poor little guy is in the freezer waiting for when the vet has time (I'm trying to be pragmatic about all of this in hopes that we can learn from it, but it's tough!). As soon as it is done I'll be updating the site and let you all know!

Pointy Tale
10-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Amazing how well you documented them. I'm sorry for the losses. Thank you for sharing this information.