PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Nails

SquirrelNut
10-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Is it possible to trim just the very tips off of my Squirrel's nails? He is tearing me up.

Thank-you!

:thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
10-30-2009, 05:12 AM
They are tools, so clipping them is going to prevent him from jumping and catching himself and from climbing and other sq related physical feats.
If you must, only the white tips should be trimmed...they have nerves in their nails like dogs and will bleed if cut too short.
I would give more natural branches and some dirt.
Most of us wear sq suits:rotfl ...bathrobes, sweatshirts etc!

JLM27
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Rachel says she always clips Bean's nails in the sunlight so she can see through them and be sure NOT to cut anywhere near the blood vessel in the center, the dark streak. Of course, Beanie boy holds still for her now.

momofsquirrelly
10-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I wear a bathrobe and loose jeans. Those little nails are sharp, aren't they. I never opted to trim them because I wanted my squirrelies to know their capabilities with them.

Legomom
10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I use baby finger nail clippers & ONLY trim the very tips.
I only do this with Christine since she is constantly getting caught in her fleece flooring. :shakehead

Jackie in Tampa
10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I used to clip in sun, but with my luck, a hawk flew over, Rocky jumped and I cut too short and he bled alot, for along time too...I put nail in cornstarch...poor Lynninin and BsMom...I was a wreck!!!!:tilt
I now use magnifiers and do near window in the morning with coffee and only when he is willing to participate...scared the bejeez otta me!!!
but Rocky is MBD disabled...everyone else keeps full nails!

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I use baby finger nail clippers & ONLY trim the very tips.
I only do this with Christine since she is constantly getting caught in her fleece flooring. :shakehead

Same here. Lulu-Bean hates to have her nails clipped (can you blame her? It's not natural for her) but by trimming ONLY the tips, it helps keep them dull enough to not scratch me so bad, and she can still do what she needs to do.

Remember, do NOT take too much off! The quips (black parts of the nails...or at least that's what they're called in dogs) are sensitive and will bleed. Luckily, I've never had that problem with Lulu, but I know how it goes in dogs! And also, I have to trim Lulu's nails about once every 2 weeks, because I can't take that much off, and those nails grow so darn fast!

But if you're finding that your little squirrel is too squirmy, or if you become too nervous to clip the nails, wearing an old sweatshirt works wonders on you arms when you're handling it!:Love_Icon

My New Busy Tail
09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Hello All!
I was wondering, instead of clipping the nails, is it possible/safe enough just to use a nail file and round the very tips instead ?
Thanks!

SquirrelysMom
09-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Rachel says she always clips Bean's nails in the sunlight so she can see through them and be sure NOT to cut anywhere near the blood vessel in the center, the dark streak. Of course, Beanie boy holds still for her now.

I do the same thing with Squeakums (Squirrely, but now his nickname has become his most-used name). We sit by a window, or a desk lamp. I use the baby nail trimmers and just catch the little, clear/white, needle tip, and trim that. Sometimes it doesn't even look like I've cut anything, but it still makes a difference.

I trim him for my sake, and his because he gets his nails caught in fabric sometimes. He's more clumsy with things, like daring jumps that require catching himself, for about two days until he wears them down into a useful shape.

It took about 10 different attempts (and not giving up too soon) before he got used to it. Not that he'll sit for all 4 feet to be trimmed at once, even now...