PDA

View Full Version : I think my baby squirrel knows its name

ac556k
10-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Today I believe my female baby squirrel (Peco's) responded to its name. The male (Bill) is slightly slower or maybe retarded since he continues to poop in a candle. Are female squirrels generally more intelligent? She at 8 weeks never pees on me, gives kisses, eats all her formula, etc. Also she is almost 1/3 larger in size and they are from the same litter. Any thoughts on my little special ed boy?
Thanks

Timber
10-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Not to be gender predjudice but From all that I have abserved ( including my precious Timber (M) who I have had for three years and Wahdee (F) only 12 weeks) the females do seem to be, I won't say smarter,but they domesticate eaiser, they learn things quicker, and I quess they mature quicker. But for anyone who says that their babies came from the same litter yet are so different the reason behind that is because most females mate with more than one male while in heat and to ensure that they get at least one strong and healthy baby. So you can very possible and most likely have a litter of 2 or more babies all maternal siblings but not one of them paternal sibs.

island rehabber
10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
The male (Bill) is slightly slower or maybe retarded since he continues to poop in a candle.

I'm sorry, I may be a little punchy today but that phrase just sends me into such a fit of giggles I can't....stop.......hee hee heeeeeeeee!!!!!:rotfl:rolf:rofl4

island rehabber
10-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Okay....I've gotten myself together now. I've also noticed that the females are quicker studies, more self-sufficient and even more aggressive than the males. And my Sheila, bless her little secretive self, knows her name. Here is a squirrel who spends no time interacting with me whatsoever....who stays hidden most of the day unless she's giving Roadie hell....and yet, as soon as I approach her nest box and say "Sheila?" her head pops out. None of the others know their names....go figure. :dono

Twirly Squirly Squirrel
10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
I believe it. My little friend would come every time I called her just by making kissy noisesout back here in the reserve, yet all the boys are goof-balls...they 're still not able to figure out that I'm the one who's leaving the nuts and lettuce....where'd they think it's coming from, The Nut Fairy????:shakehead

Mrs. Jack
10-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Zappy turns his head and then comes to get a nut if I call his name. So does Stubby. I don't know if it's the names themselves or that I do believe everyone has a different call "Stubby! hey stubs!" and "Zappydappydingdong...." that specify who I am talking to, but that does mean "hey you, there's food waiting for you at the other end of this voice, yes YOU, not them." and they're boys. just y'know evening up the playing field, pooping in candles aside- LOL. although I shouldn't laugh, my mousie likes to go into a certain candle holder and poop there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/solstice/IMG_0355.jpg<--- taking care of business.

Twirly Squirly Squirrel
10-05-2006, 11:41 AM
That's great!!! Makes for quick and easy clean ups. It's like the perfect outhouse. I can't believe you just so happened to have a picture of that!! What a gas (no pun intended)!!!:rotfl