PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Baby

suzy72532
10-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey Yall

Ok I have a question or I'm in need of advice. Freddy is about 12 to 14 weeks old , I have had him 9 weeks and when I got him he had some hair and his eyes opened a couple of days after I got him so your guess is as good as mine. So here's the thing, he does not want to give up the bottle, I finally started Saturday giving him 1 bottle a day not sure of cc's ,the dropper bottle holds about 2 tablespoons maybe a little more, I give him the bottle in the am about 6 but when I get home from work about 6pm he wants his bottle, He is eating other things, he can crack any kind of nut except wal-nut but he will not eat any fruits or veggies, maybe some sweet potatoe just so I will leave him alone. I have been trying for at least 2 weeks to get him to eat the zupreem biscuts but He will not eat them, I don't have the heart to starve him into eating. I bought some liquid vitamins from the squirrel store and I have been giving them to him everyday ( I sneak 3 drops in the am bottle). He only wants to play in his water and I don't want to use a water bottle cause the plan is to turn him loose in the spring. I pick him native acorns and get limbs with moss and things on them. He is happy, very active he exhibits squirrel behaviors as in hiding food(anything you give him by hand if he does not want it right then he hides it in his food bowl), the loud noise still as a statue, he barks, growls, and purrs. He does not like to be held and he will use people as trees or as a means to get where he wants but he does not ask for affection from anyone but me. Ok enough background the question is this, How long do I let him have his bottle and do I need to worry that he will not eat fruit or veggies.

Critter_Queen
10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
If he doesn't want the solids yet, make sure he's getting enough nutrients in the formula. Is there a reason you are bottle feeding rather than syringe feeding? Syringes are so much safer for them...

How many nuts are you providing with the fruits and veggies? Only give them one half of a nut each day (or half a pecan and half a walnut, or equivalent) they WILL eat only nuts if you let them...just like kids and junk food. You need to keep offering all sorts of solids to him...he'll eat them eventually. How much does he weigh? That will go a long way in telling you how he's doing. If you are weaning him, and he's still gaining or maintaining weight from day to day, he's fine...but if he's losing, or starts to, he needs more formula or a change in solid diet that will interest him more...but more formula until then...

I have a 12 weeker that still begs for (and gets) two feedings a day at 20 cc each...He's getting weaned down to one feeding per day this weekend when he gets moved outside into the aviary...and he'll probably only get that for a week to 10 days and then he's done. He eats everything I put in his food dish, so I think it's just a crutch/habit for him now...

Critter_Queen
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
WHOOPS! Read your post wrong! Sorry!

If he's 12-14 weeks he really should be weaning...and he should have an appetite for solids, too...

So, I go back to what are you feeding him in terms of solids? How many nuts per day? When are you offering them? Are you offering a variety all at once or one item at a time?

suzy72532
10-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Nope I'm not just feeding him nuts. I have tried just sweet potatoes,just brocoli,just green peppers, just apples, just raw and dried bannanas. He gets one half pecan or acorn or walnut or chestnut a day he will not eat peanuts and he likes fresh corn on cob every now and then. As for the weight I have not clue other than when he sits up he has little fat rolls and He kinda looks like a pear from the rear. I guess I'll just keep trying ( he is so bull headed).

Critter_Queen
10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah, just keep putting all that stuff in there (try making it a smorgasbord sp? for him by mixing several items) and eventually he'll try it.

Keep it up, he'll come around. :)