PDA

View Full Version : Lulu-Bean's Teeth

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone,
well, it's been a while since I posted, but I've been doing a lot of independant research on Eastern Greys (as well as being a full-time student! ahh!)

Lulu-Bean is now 4 months old, and she has very little hope of being released. But she seems to be fairly happy here (nice big cage, good diet, the works!) and I haven't ruled out that a rehab center is a good place for her.

There's her little bit of up-to-date news.

I have a question about the length of her teeth. Despite all her gnawing on nuts, acorns, branches and even a brick, her teeth seem to be REALLY long. Her top incisors seem to be curling back towards her gums too, and it's really starting to worry me. I don't know if this will affect her health. She still is eating very well, and doesn't seem to have a problem with any hard foods.

I'm not sure what I can do to get the teeth down, or if I'm just a worried mommy.

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

4skwerlz
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Here are two pics of normal teeth. As you can see, Lulu Bean's are way too long and need to be trimmed.

PBluejay2
10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
This baby definitely has a malocclusion and her teeth need to be trimmed! There's a chance that after they're trimmed the malocclusion with correct itself, but you need to keep a very careful eye on her and her teeth. The primary way they keep their teeth trimmed is not by gnawing on things but by an almost constant grinding of their teeth together, even in their sleep. once they get out of alignment, the problem worsens.

Pam
10-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Does Lulu-Bean use a lick type water bottle? I'm concerned that her teeth are too long for her to even be able to drink water.

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Hmm, how do I go about trimming her teeth until I can get her to the vet? I'm not sure how soon I can get her there, and I'd like to take care of this before too long. I looked at a post on another thread, and I have the tools, but I didn't quite follow on how to go about the trimming process.

She does drink from a water bottle that requires licking. She doesn't seem to have a problem with it, at least not of yet.

Pam
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Hmm, how do I go about trimming her teeth until I can get her to the vet? I'm not sure how soon I can get her there, and I'd like to take care of this before too long. I looked at a post on another thread, and I have the tools, but I didn't quite follow on how to go about the trimming process.

She does drink from a water bottle that requires licking. She doesn't seem to have a problem with it, at least not of yet.

My squirrel's teeth look just like Lulu-Bean's. Hers have to be trimmed about every 4-6 weeks by a vet. I have never tried it by myself. Do you think you can get her in to see a vet tomorrow?

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think I can get her in before Saturday at the earliest. I'm a full-time student with two part-time jobs, so running errands is usually a weekend thing :( I hope that if I can get her in by then, there can't be too much more damage (so-to-speak).
I wouldn't mind having to take her to get her teeth trimmed every 4-6 weeks, so long as she is happy and healthy!

PBluejay2
10-21-2009, 11:31 PM

If I were you, I'd wait the few (emphasis on few) days to get a vet to trim her teeth. I trim one of my squirrel's teeth, but another one I have to take to a vet so she can be anesthetized. It's as grueling process to try to trim them yourself, and you run the risk of crushing a tooth rather than clipping it, which can cause a world of problems. Add to that that she will probably fight you every step of the way, you run the risk of cutting her tongue and/or cheek, and both their palates and lower jaws are split and can move independently of each other (making it difficult to line them up and get the teeth trimmed evenly), and it's just not worth the risks.

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses!
I will call the vet tomorrow and try to get her in ASAP. I will be back in this forum in the following days with (hopefully) good news. :)
Thanks again!
~Lulu-Bean's Mommy
:thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
10-22-2009, 07:17 AM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, do not attempt to do the clipping youself without an experienced teacher...I clip teeth also, but it took a vet tech coming to my house for seven months and teaching me how.
I also clip every 3 weeks.
Many permanent irreversible problems can occur if improper teeth trimming is done.

As PBJ said, some sqs MUST be put under, not all are calm enough to do while awake.
Keep us in the loop please and good luck.:grouphug

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Well...
I've called 4 vets today. Not one will take her because she is a squirrel. Breaks my heart.
So I guess I need to start calling up rehab centers. I'd rather she gets the medical attention she needs than have her suffer. It's going to be a sad, sad day. Especially since she and I are so fond of each other.
~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

"I wish 'if only' But 'if only' is a wish too late" (The Cure)

wheezer
10-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I have had two squirrel with this problem. You MUST get those teeth trimmed soon. They can grow into her skin. I always took my to the rehab center where I worked so they could be sedated and then we used a small Dremel saw blade. It is a very quick proceedure with little stress:)

I sure hope you get help soon and glad you found help here:grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Some rehabbers may do her teeth for you...especiall if you make a donation!:D
Call around and try before you give her away, she may end up being put down.
Good Luck..if I were near you, I would lhelp, so thinking there must be a sq loving experienced tooth trimming rehabber somewhere near you.
From my experience it will need to be done every three weeks.
Good Luck
hugs to you both:grouphug

JLM27
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh no! Don't give up! TSB will help you find a way. That's what we are here for. Do not give up Lulu-Bean!!!!

You just have to find a rehabber that will help

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-23-2009, 07:55 PM
:D :D Good news!
I was able to find a rehabber who was able to help, and Lulu-Bean's teeth have been trimmed. SO I GET TO KEEP HER!!
Thank you to EVERYONE with their help and kind words. Without TSB, I really would be lost.
:thankyou :thankyou

JLM27
10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Whew!! That was a scare! Hooray for Lulu-Bean! Is she inclined to share her new smile with us?

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I'll be getting a picture up within the next day or so. Right now, she is not liking having her mouth being the center of attention, so I'm going to let her have a little break. But I will be getting a picture up eventually!
~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

Pam
10-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Great news! I'm so glad the teeth are trimmed and you get to keep her.

Now you can enjoy your weekend with Lulu-Bean! :)

wheezer
10-24-2009, 10:49 AM
:wahoo I was afraid to come here today for fear you found no help but I was very pleasantly surprised and VERY happy to see you did find help and you are keeping your special treasure:thumbsup :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
10-24-2009, 10:52 AM
:D :D Good news!
I was able to find a rehabber who was able to help, and Lulu-Bean's teeth have been trimmed. SO I GET TO KEEP HER!!
Thank you to EVERYONE with their help and kind words. Without TSB, I really would be lost.
:thankyou :thankyou
Yippee!
Great news!!!!

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
10-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey everyone,
this is the best picture I could get of her. The teeth are still crooked, but now that I found a helping rehabber, I know I have her in good hands. And I still get to keep her :D