PDA

View Full Version : Metacam for squirrels?

djarenspace9
10-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Is Metacam used for squirrels?

I was given some by my personal vet for a hamster that had cancerous tumors (for pain management) and never used it (she died suddenly).

I wasn't sure if I should save it for use on any of my critters in the future.
I've read somewhere that it is a med that upsets their GI.

The one I have is a very small amount, and it's a suspension to give orally.
They had prescriped 1 drop per 24 hours (it was a tiny dwarf hamster).
The label does not indicate a strength though, so I wouldn't know how to dose it for a squirrel.

Anyone use it Metacam for a squirrel before?
Our wildlife vet has never prescribed it so I wasn't sure if there is a reason or he just prefers other meds.

Pointy Tale
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Is Metacam used for squirrels?

I was given some by my personal vet for a hamster that had cancerous tumors (for pain management) and never used it (she died suddenly).

I wasn't sure if I should save it for use on any of my critters in the future.
I've read somewhere that it is a med that upsets their GI.

The one I have is a very small amount, and it's a suspension to give orally.
They had prescriped 1 drop per 24 hours (it was a tiny dwarf hamster).
The label does not indicate a strength though, so I wouldn't know how to dose it for a squirrel.

Anyone use it Metacam for a squirrel before?
Our wildlife vet has never prescribed it so I wasn't sure if there is a reason or he just prefers other meds.
djarenspace9—Hi! I am not a rehabber, but noticed your post about Metacam. I believe it can be used for squirrels, but to be on the safe side, please post in either Non Life Threatening Help Needed (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116) unless of course it is an emergency, then please post in Emergency (Life Threatening) Help Needed (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115) so that rehabbers or more experienced/hands on members will be able to see your post and provide proper guidance.

All the best,

djarenspace9
10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks, I reposted it in the right spot!

psychobird
10-21-2009, 02:32 PM
yes metacam can be used for squirrels, the strength being questionable, i wouldn't use it

longshotgamble
10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes Metacam is used for squirrels and if you need dosing info when and if you need to use it; let someone here know.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
When was it prescribed and when does it expire? I would think it would expire before you will need it, possibly already expired. It can be used in squirrels, but is hard on their kidneys so should only be used if absolutely necessary for pain management or head trauma cases. You would need to know the strength of the suspension because it is very powerful and the wrong dose could do a lot of damage.

psychobird
10-22-2009, 07:59 AM
the metacam i have expires in 2 yrs, i just got it this spring, i have the weakest strength i could find because i mostly do songbirds. at .05 mg/ml i have to dilute it down for teeny tinies.

Jackie in Tampa
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
The drug itself is not that dangerous...unless improperly dispensed.
I have mucho experience with it..I love it!
According to a very knowledgable Lynninin, it is equivalent to acetaminophen for sqs. It is anti-inflammitory and pain aide!
I agree with SRBT...the BEST med for head trauma....
I thought I posted here already.
It comes in two strngths for small mammels...1.5 and .5mg/ml, one being three times as strong as the other. Very important to know which you have, or cannot be dosed and who wants to guess with a 1lb sq????
not me!:dono
psycho bird made and error, I am sure she meant .5mg/ml, not .05:thumbsup

psychobird
10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
yes i did, lol, oops