PDA

View Full Version : weird fur...????

ljhpsauce
10-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi i didn't know where to post this thread really as it is not really an "ailment" but but i have a little boy squirrel called Marvin, i live in GB he is a Grey squirrel, and he was rescued when he was a few days old he is now around 10+ wks old and although now on solids he still insists on 2 formula feeds a day and won't even entertain the idea of drinking water! Anyway what i wanted to query is.. he has really different Fur compared to any of my other squirrels, his fur is really soft and feels soft and downy like and has the texture of velvet, in fact it is actually like the same type of fur which they have on their belly's except all over him, you can't see the single strands of the usual agouti peppered pattern hairs in his fur as you can in see in my other squirrel's coats. So i was wondering if anyone else knew of anything like this?????:thinking :dono :dono

ljhpsauce
10-21-2009, 05:55 AM
In fact i have just been feeding him and his fur is actually "fluffy" fur, as opposed hairy fur.

4skwerlz
10-21-2009, 06:44 AM
What kind of formula are you feeding? Fur problems are often nutritional, and it's very important to correct it right now.

At 10 weeks he should still be on formula with just an occasional nibble of solid foods; they shouldn't be weaned until at least 14-16 weeks old.

Nancy in New York
10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
In fact i have just been feeding him and his fur is actually "fluffy" fur, as opposed hairy fur.

Just check this out...it may be the problem...

http://www.geocities.com/insect_quee..._syndrome.html

ljhpsauce
10-23-2009, 09:49 AM

Hello thanks for the link but i am having probs getting on to this as its saying "Page Requested Not Found" have you any more links or info or if you could tell me wot the subject of the link was called i could check it out myself prehaps???? ThankU for your help. xx

ljhpsauce
10-23-2009, 12:01 PM

OH THANK YOU I HAVE MANAGED TO GET ON TO THE LINK FINALLY . THANK U I WILL LOOK INTO THIS NOW. XXX

ljhpsauce
10-23-2009, 01:08 PM
This would make sum sense actually because i had to swap over from my usual fav Esbilac to a ready made formula milk we have over here in GB called "Toplife" puppy and kitten milk its basically made from goats milk, goats cream & with added vitamins. its recommended on GB TSB forum but Its the first time i have EVER given it solely by itself as a feed and also to a young squirrel i normally give it to my older Squirrels and then mixed with Esbilac when i am trying to wean em. Oh i am really worried now. U see he had it in his early weeks but i ran out as i had 10 babies at once (although he was the youngest) ( its hard to buy here in GB and i have to order it online, its also expensive its treble the cost of the price you pay in the USA) Anyway i had to make do for a while with just "Toplife" formula and then when i have finally managed to get some he refused it so i continued with "Toplife":nono Ewhh i am really worrying now!!! theres me supposed to be a registered wildlife rehabber an all!! & now look wot i have done !!! I even got some ready made Esbiac yesterday as i thought it would be the nearest taste to the other i am feeding but he hates it!! he is totally refusing his feeds now because of it!!! i am going to have to really slowly try to reintroduce it by mixing it with the other little by little. probs is they are so clever and also so stubborn at that age.:dono :peace :thinking :confused: :sorry

Nancy in New York
10-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Can you also try mixing with a little baby food sweet potato or applesauce, banana, just a little something to peek his interest in the formula...

Jackie in Tampa
10-23-2009, 03:40 PM
can you post the ingrediats of his normal formla? the toplife
Alot of my sqs have really soft fluffy hair and are healthy as their bros and sis's...although not doubting that there is a problem, just thinking not all sqs are the same.
can you post pic of Marvin?