PDA

View Full Version : Help in central florida

Angie21475
10-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi there, I have an 8 month old female squirrel named Pickett. I found her at appx 6 weeks old, and she has always gotten tons of love from me. She has ALWAYS been sweet with me, never growled, or bitten me...ever! I noticed yesterday when I had her out to clean her cage, she was playing in the bag I use to dump her mess into. As I was trying to get her out of the bag, she growled at me and bit me!

I had her out today to clean the cage and play with her, and she wouldn't let me hold her. When I grabbed at her she ran from me. It took me about 10 minutes to catch her, and it was accidental because she ran into her cage, and I locked her in. Everywhere I went, she ran from me.

Help. Does wilding up happen this quickly? If it does, I am sad to say, maybe it's time to have her released.

Thank you.

JohnRegsaver
10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
they have 2 litters a year 6months to 6 months
i think most babies stay for 12 weeks and up but 8 months lol:jump

Jackie in Tampa
10-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes, some sqs make THE CHoice at her age. She must be wilded up and acclimated in a pre release cage for her best chance at survival.
I am so sorry that she has bitten you.
Not only do they break the skin, they break the heart when they reach the age and call.
Do you have a large cage and a safe place to do a soft release?
There are many threads about releasing on TSB.
Others will share their thoughts as well.
Good Luck

Angie21475
10-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I will be doing alot of reading about soft releasing, but also looking for rehabbers in my area in case I can't do this myself. I am in central florida (seminole/volusia county line area). If someone can reply, or PM me I would greatly appreciate it.

Jackie in Tampa
10-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Hello, me again.
Do you have a pic of sq and cage?
Florida has been swamped with babies..I know that I am overloaded with sqs, more than I normally like to take in...
most rescue/rehabbers are very busy this season.
...the unusual weather this year has slammed us all!
If your area is cat free or your sq is not cat imprinted, and you have some tree canopy to your area...and see other sqs...maybe you can do it yourself.:thumbsup
Hoping someone can help, but better to start planning soon. The trees will be shedding the leaves and release cannot be done without foilage...and the temps will drop too. You may have to wait for spring if you cannot get help soon.
How big is your cage?
I always try to get them fat and healthy before release, not too fat, they need to be able to run and jump, which is why a large cage able to contain tree limbs and practice being a sq in is needed!
There are examples here on release cage s and even tutorials on how to build a simple basic cage for $150 ish. {Pamela Lee:thumbsup }.
Idea is to get sq used to sights and sounds, day and night! Must be strong enough to keep other critters out.
sorry so long, I tend to do that often!
Others will add their advise too!
:D :wave123

Angie21475
10-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Hello, me again.
Do you have a pic of sq and cage?
Florida has been swamped with babies..I know that I am overloaded with sqs, more than I normally like to take in...
most rescue/rehabbers are very busy this season.
...the unusual weather this year has slammed us all!
If your area is cat free or your sq is not cat imprinted, and you have some tree canopy to your area...and see other sqs...maybe you can do it yourself.:thumbsup
Hoping someone can help, but better to start planning soon. The trees will be shedding the leaves and release cannot be done without foilage...and the temps will drop too. You may have to wait for spring if you cannot get help soon.
How big is your cage?
I always try to get them fat and healthy before release, not too fat, they need to be able to run and jump, which is why a large cage able to contain tree limbs and practice being a sq in is needed!
There are examples here on release cage s and even tutorials on how to build a simple basic cage for $150 ish. {Pamela Lee:thumbsup }.
Idea is to get sq used to sights and sounds, day and night! Must be strong enough to keep other critters out.
sorry so long, I tend to do that often!
Others will add their advise too!
:D :wave123

Hi again...:wave123 I currently have a Ferret Nation cage. I think it's close to 6 ft tall, and like 4 ft wide or something. It's all metal, so I don't think there will be a problem with critters getting in. Area is not cat free. I have one outdoor cat, and I have seen others' ocassionally strolling through. I have 2 indoor cats. One doesn't ever bother her, but the other one would kill her if given the chance. I am very cautious with the cats, and lock them out of the room when I am not home. My back yard is fenced, but very limited trees :(

Like I mentioned earlier, she is 8 months old,and I have had her for about 6 months. She is a healthy weight. Not too fat, or too thin. She is eating HH blocks, and veggies (very limited fruits, and nuts). I also, DO put tree branches in there, as I find them.

I feel like I can do this on my own, but a little concerned with the florida climate which is why I am exploring my options by trying to find a rehabber locally to me.

I don't think you are long winded at all! I thank you, and appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. :D

Jackie in Tampa
10-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Can you post pic of cage?
Does she have free roam of house ever? Where she runs and jumps and plays vigorously?
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4362&highlight=cages+nestboxes
Here is a link to a very simple release cage that a wonderful female member built herself, for $150 dollars. I think this is the best simple example on TSB. No frills, just RIGHT.
I too release in a neigh borhood with cats...arrr! but I have lots of trees...and fences. I also have hawks...
cats and hawks are everywhere...sqs are prey everywhere...nowhere are they safe...
Do you have sqs in your yard?

She maybe just smelling hair dye on you, or a strange smell that she doesn't like...
also seeds make sqs have the jitters, I never feed sunflower seeds {maybe 3 or 4 times a year} to my insiders.
Any nutritional deficiency can make them agitated or aggressive as well.
6ft tall is good, bar spacing is so important, if a coon can get their paws in...no good! NO CHICKEN WIRE! I recomend 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth.
Cage needs to be out of direct sun, under shade tree etc.
needs a partial roof at least, plywood is great. Also should have a protective feeling...meaning not out in the middle of an open area like a beacon. But tucked in under tree or against building or fence with avenues to travel, escape and hide.
Best to put a genuine nestbox inside and have another to hang in tree near release cage...especially for fall release. High enough so cats cannot reach.
Sometimes release may take a month, sometimes a sq may wild up sooner.
Point is so she can realize that there are cats/dangers and she can hear other sqs barking at preditors etc.
She will learn/ understand dark/night time and eat what is native.
I try to visit alot at first to ease fear, but slowly distance myself daily, providing food and water and stop providing love. Temperature change can be started now by simply taking outside in shade a couple hours a day. Sqs NEED UV to survive...so reguardless, she needs shaded time outside. Without sunlight, many sqs develope MBD. UV does not mean in DIRECT sunlight, shaded is enough, sqs can and do die of sunstroke.
Just some JIT thoughtstinfoilI can and will come up with more info as my brain kicks in and out!:rotfl
Hoping others will also give ideas and info!
It is bittersweet releasing...I am a major worrier too, so I lose sleep and wish I had homing devices on all of them...talk about an overbearing momma! :dono I cannot help it! I love my babies!!!!!:Love_Icon

:worthless