PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

HK Knives
10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
A friend of mine moved a deerstand.After getting it moved,he found these two baby red squirrels.He brought them to me hopeing I could raise them.I have had them since 10-3,their eyes are not yet open,and I dont have a clue as to how old they are,but they seem to be doing good.I am hopeing to raise and release them.
I have been feeding them Milk Replacement for Kittens,and they have been eating it well.I am sure I will have many questions by the time I get them raised,and I hope I am able to do so.If anyone has any advice that can help me out,please let me know.Anyone know about how old these are?How old are when there eyes open?

Thanks,God bless,Keith

NaturesGift
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I *think* you have to gorgeous grey babies!

KMR really is not a good MR for baby squirrels. It doesnt meet thier nutritional needs. If you could go to Walmart and get some "Just born" or goats milk though you have to add to that :thumbsup

or what I would do is order some formula from this website

http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/products.asp?PLID=1

It is THE BEST option for your babies.

your babies will be 5 weeks old when thier eyes open.

you have VERY cute kids!!! TY for taking them in.

I would guess them at 3-4 weeks.

Please get yourself a 1 cc syringe and feed them with that..,..It is very easy for your babies to aspirate and get pneumonia and that can cause death. If you need help finding a syringe I would be glad to help. Also bottles allow ALOT of air to be swallowed which can give your babies bloat. *YUCK*

Mandie

Nancy in New York
10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
The babies are sweet...I resized them for you. They look quite skinny to me. I think you would do much better getting them on different formula and perhaps adding a little heavy cream to it. How much do they weigh, and how often do you feed them? Do you have them on a heating pad. You should have them on something warm, but where if they get overheated they can get off. It is suggested that you put the container they are in half on and half off a heating pad on low so that they can crawl off if they get too hot. You should not feed a baby with a bottle, as suggested get a l cc syringe.
I am going to post this now, because I want to see how they look since I resized...

island rehabber
10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes, those are sweet baby grey squirrels :thumbsup.
You've gotten great advice here from Natures Gift and Nancy in New York: please get them off the kitten milk and please please please get a 1cc syringe to feed them with. Oh, and :Welcome to the Squirrel Board -- we are so glad you found us! :)

Nancy in New York
10-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Hope the little ones are doing great...please keep us posted. If you need syringes, I can mail you some...It is much better to to hold a squirrel a little upright...head forward though or even feed it laying down like in the pictures, if the syringe is more upright, less/no air will get into them. They should be off of the kitten formula. You could get them canned puppy esbilac at PetSmart or Petco, that will have the proper nutrients in it for your babies.
If I can help in any way, please let me know, they do look a little small and I am quite concerned, but we can get these babies big and strong for you...:)

Rocky&Roxy'smommy
10-14-2009, 04:50 AM
I also use esbilac puppy powder formula. I have heared it was much better for them. Also a 1 cc sur, plus I used heavy whipping cream. I noticed it started putting weight on my babies. I'm sure you have been Reading to rehidrate them. Pedialite is what I used. I didn't know what to do when I first got them, and just kept feeding them formula, then one day I woke up and one of my babies was lifeless. I did some research and prayed a lot and realized I was supposed to rehidrate them. So I pumped pedialite in him for 2 to three days every two hours, the third day he was back to normal. Also I give my little guys crushed up calcuim on a slice of avocado once a week. I have read to make sure they get plenty of calcuim! Well good luck. It's a very difficult thing to do. I have two kids, and never was it this hard when my kids were babies. It will be a long, hard road. And you may find yourself tired alot. But you can do it, if not find a rehabber. In my case there wasn't any rehabbers around. So thanks to this board, and the many days of researching the enternet I have made it to 12 weeks old. I got them at around 4 weeks old and it seems like I have had them a year. Well good luck again, you will find much joy in taking care of them, and don't let me forget, the many scars on my arms that look like road maps. Lol