PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Mississippi

HK Knives
10-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for letting me be here.This will be my first post,I have a few questions about two Red Squirrels.I will ask,and post pic tonight.

Great site!,God bless,Keith

TinyPaws
10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Keith :wave123 :Welcome to our board...

NaturesGift
10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
do you make knives? My dad teaches wilderness survival. ANYWAYS :Welcome

Mandie

amylou
10-13-2009, 10:27 PM
:Welcome I am also in MS! Glad you joined. Can't wait to see the pictures!! :D

Pam
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
:Welcome Welcome to TSB, HK Knives! I'm in Miss'ippi, too!

HK Knives
10-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome.I have posted my questions and pic in the non-emergency section.Looks like I have been doing several things wrong.With help from you all,maybe I can get it right.It is good to see so many others here from Mississippi,great state!,although I would reather be living in the north west,i'm happy were i'm at.

Yes Mandie,thanks for asking,I do make knives.It has always been just a hobby,and I use to make,1 or 2 a week,but after I had my 4th back surgery,along with other surgeries,in the last 2 years,I have slowed way down.

Thanks to all,God bless,Keith

Jackie in Tampa
10-14-2009, 05:25 AM
:Welcome :wave123 Hi Keith! and welcome to TSB...
I am in Tampa and am sq crazy! Love those fuzzy acorn eaters!!!
I have a few NR keepers, and always releasing a few!!:D
TSB loves pics...and good sq stories!

Nancy in New York
10-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome.I have posted my questions and pic in the non-emergency section.Looks like I have been doing several things wrong.With help from you all,maybe I can get it right.It is good to see so many others here from Mississippi,great state!,although I would reather be living in the north west,i'm happy were i'm at.

Yes Mandie,thanks for asking,I do make knives.It has always been just a hobby,and I use to make,1 or 2 a week,but after I had my 4th back surgery,along with other surgeries,in the last 2 years,I have slowed way down.

Thanks to all,God bless,Keith

:Welcome Hi Keith...
Just keep posting your questions where you were yesterday...and we will all help you with your babies...

tatermama
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
:wave123 Welcome Keith! I am in Mississippi also!! You have joined a GREAT board!! :)

Pointy Tale
10-16-2009, 07:53 PM
:Welcome

Rivercat
01-13-2011, 09:19 AM
mjs Hey! I rescued a grey squirrel here in Madison, she was about 4 to 5 weeks her eyes had just opened from what we could tell. I have had a lot of fun with Runny so have my kids, we buillt her a huge cage and even my other animals love her. Now, she is about 9 weeks, she eats carrots, unsalted peanuts (only if I crack then for her- she is spoiled), acorns, dried apples, honey rolls that are made for birds and hamsters, just make sure you whatever you feed them has no sodium. Also, we feed her the GNC puppy milk
till last week and I weined her to a hanging bottle! Also, be sure you have them on a heating pad, Runny always like to sleep on the blanket inside my old t-shirts. Just be sure when they get a few weeks older the wrap the cord in duct tape and cut some old socks up then get some zip ties to wrap around the cord that is exposed the in the cage, they chew everything!!! Try to have as little of the cord as you can in the cage as possible. Also, they will be very fun later, ours is like a pet, rides on our shoulder, plays, and loves interaction. Also, feed them with a syringe from the drug store with a nipple at the end not a bottle, if they get milk in their lungs they will die from
pnemonia. Let them drink slowly. make sure it is warm, and a thick not to thick but not like water milk. Mine would not drink watery or cold milk. Feed every 3 hours since they are so young. Email, me for questions!

shearives@rocketmail.com

Jackie in Tampa
01-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi Rivercat:wave123
Welcome to TSB!:Welcome :wave123

I have never heard of GNC puppy milk:dono ...I have always, as well as most here, used Fox Valley Squirrel Formula...
It is designed to the proper nutrition levels that sqs need to be in the best health.
I will look into the nutrition levels on the product you used, interesting!
We have a nutrition forum with many healthy suggestions. You will find the Complete Healthy Diet charts there. Please take a minute to review what has been a labor of love researching...it's tried and true.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191

About the heating pad, I stop using them once the sqs are about 2 months old, at that time they should be able to hold their own temperature, just my thoughts.

Are you planning on keeping Runny? or is he going to be released in the spring?
I see he has been exposed to your cat, not ideal for his safety in the future...
many here will say that only the sq makes the choice to be a pet or a wild. Please can you seperate the two on a permanent basis...in the end , the cats will kill him...no matter how sweet and loving the cat is, it's their instincts that will cause the 'kill'.
I understand how attached you are to your sweetie, we all are, that's why TSB has become so big on the net...we are true SQUIRREL LOVERS, all of us!:D

There are so many type peeps here and so much info...all walks of life to share sq love with. Please read and discover the awesome world of sqs thru others tales and experiences. I know I learn everyday...and I have been a sq friend for 9 years steady! and have had many sqs in my life.
I do have a few pet sqs, but all of them are disabled, most due to cat attacks, or taking a bad spill and landing wrong...these special needs sqs will be here for the rest of their happy lives...
Here at TSB and in the daily lives of rehabbing,
we call then non releasanbles, NRs.

TSB also has members in Miss, so if you ever need help, just ask!:thumbsup

Glad you found us, and thank you for sharing Runny with us. As you see, we love pics...the more the merrier...:D
Again.....:Welcome

astra
01-13-2011, 05:24 PM
:Welcome
What a sweet little thing you have there!:Love_Icon
Yes, everything Jackie said. She is one of the most experienced ppl here - tons of squirrel wisdom to share. I have nothing to add, except, that it's great that you found TSB!
And yes, about the cat - squirrels should have a fear of cats, or it will be a death sentence when released (if she chooses to;-)).

More pics, please!:)

Rivercat
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your info! Yes, I too am glad that I found the TSB! I have already removed her heating pad and actually hung a towel from the top of the cage and she loves to sleep in it, she feel like it's her nest and fills it withe leaves!

As far as the cat, I would agree. However Ashes is different than most cats, she has had a broken paw and is overweight (as you can see) and is declawed. She has always been exposed to other animals and never tried to attack; hamsters, turtles, and lizards! She just is not that type of cat, she only wants to play, and watch and if the Runny moves to fast Ashes gets scared and runs away! But, yes we are trying to decide what is best for Runny now, although it is too cold to make any decisions now, and as you said it is up to the sq, on the whether or not they are a pet. Runny wants to play all the time with us, not just run the house, she wants people interaction. We keep stuff interchanged constantly from the outdoors in her cage such as tree limbs, branches, acorns, pine cones, to keep her familiar with outside surroundings, and even deer antlers she loves to chew on. So, she is quite spoiled I must say, and we try to provide the best for her. I have worked with animals and rescue, and rehab a lot, so this is familiar ground to me, but first for a Sq. Anyway, thanks for help!