PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cat brought baby squirrel in through cat door

SquirrelMama
10-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I sure could use some advice tonight. My cat, Jake, has a bad habit of bringing his "prizes" into the house via the kitty door, and tonight brought something new in--when I finally caught it and got a good look, turned out to be a tiny flying squirrel! It's about 2-2.5 inches in length (not counting the tail). The baby was scared and traumatized, but doesn't appear to be injured--no blood, and no broken bones, at least as far as I can tell. I now have it wrapped in a blanket in a basket. I called my local rehabber, who says it's okay for me to keep it if I so choose, but I can bring it to her immediately if any problems occur. She recommended Esbilac puppy or goat formula, given by syringe, and said the baby would need antibiotics ASAP due to the cat saliva left on its fur. I won't be able to get any formula or meds until tomorrow morning, though. Can I just give water tonight?
I'm an RN, but certainly not educated in the care of wild animals, so could use some good information and wise counsel, as I want to do what is in the best interest of this adorable baby! :dono

Sincerely,
SquirrelMama in Tx

muffinsquirrel
10-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Congratulations! You have just been blessed with the best pet that will ever own you! Definately go with the Esbilac. For tonight, go with pedialite if possible - somewhere there is a 'make-your-own' formula for pedialite. Keep him in a box or cage with a top - those little things can really get around! And keep the box half of-half on a heating pad, so he can choose how warm he wants to be. Use fleece or old t-shirts for bedding. Well, you probably know all of this anyhow!

Check out this site for all the information you could ever need to know about flyers....

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php?sid=487f6358aaec406b87225812d3c44f11

The people are nice and friendly and more than slightly nuts, just like here. Good luck with him. They are addictive, you know - it's hard to stop with just one!

muffinsquirrel

Hey - I'm in Texas too - about 25 miles above Beaumont, in Buna.