PDA

View Full Version : Strange pooping question

djarenspace9
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Has anyone had a similar issue and can either explain it or advise me?

I have a 5-6 week old male Eastern Gray (furry guy, eyes open and very active). He seems perfectly normal except his anus does not close...it's always open. When he poops it comes out but the last bit usually stays right there at the opening (I check him regularly and wipe it off). The opening never tightens back up. Otherwise he seems fine, drinks his formula and is eating solid food and the poop is normal too.

Not sure if I need to concern myself about it...

Byrd
10-08-2009, 11:43 PM
I know Roscoe when i first got him had a hard time pooping and there would be bits left up in there that kinda held it open but it closed once they got out... I am by no means an expert have you been stimulating him?

djarenspace9
10-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I've only had him one day but the rehabber that was caring for him had been stimulating him and suggested I do so. Usually he has already gone when I go feed him, just has one or two strays left behind! It does not look irritated or otherwise concerning though, just odd! I'll be keeping a close eye on him for sure.
:thankyou

PBluejay2
10-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I had a pinkie earlier this summer whose anus stayed gaped open, crusting over with poo. Even when I cleaned her out--stimulating, moistening, and swabbing away the dried poo--the anus would remain open. I lost her at about three and a half weeks. I've read that bacterial infections that target the rectum exist, and if I had the opportunity to do things over, I would have given her antibiotics from day one. The condition might be more serious than you think.

djarenspace9
10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
:sanp3 Anyone else have info about this type of bacteria? Would Baytril be appropriate? He is 5" and 65g right now.

Today I noticed what you mentioned, it looked like the anus was closed but it was just a thin crust because all his poop was just sitting there right at the opening. I ran warm water over it and it all came out, then left it open again.

Pointy Tale
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
djarenspace9—I am Not a rehabber, but PBluejay2 is very knowledge and if says get antibiotics I would get them immediately. I’m sorry, I do not know the kind or how much, but perhaps PBluejay2 or another rehabber will respond soon to let you know.
Best of luck.

Can you stay on for a bit? Let me see if someone can help you?

Refresh your screen too, OK.

PBluejay2
10-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Albon, Sulfatrim, and Baytril are all listed as good for GI/enteric infections.

djarenspace9
10-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Just a quick update...The little guy is doing good. Seems to be gaining control of the muscles (?) in that area and I have not had any blockage issues since the last time I posted. I check him with ever feeding and in between to make sure but the last day or so he has had no problems. He is eating everything in sight and putting on some oz's!

:jump

Thanks to everyone who gave support and advice!

Nancy in New York
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
We just love updates, and especially good ones. Thanks so much for posting....:thumbsup

PBluejay2
10-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Just a quick update...The little guy is doing good. Seems to be gaining control of the muscles (?) in that area and I have not had any blockage issues since the last time I posted. I check him with ever feeding and in between to make sure but the last day or so he has had no problems. He is eating everything in sight and putting on some oz's!

:jump

Thanks to everyone who gave support and advice!

That's great news! I assume his sphincter muscle is closing as it should?