PDA

View Full Version : I.D...how do you do it?

Critter_Queen
10-02-2006, 03:52 PM
So, I have this new set of three siblings and I'm having a terrible time telling the two females apart. I tried putting a sharpie-mark on one's foot, but that was "peed off" within a day. :D I can usually tell them apart when they are feeding as the one little gal does the "Nemo" thing through the whole feeding. I'm basically dripping it down her throat cuz she's not sucking on it...and it doesn't seem to go as well if I try to force her to suckle...she aspirates, go figure! (and as an aside, who woulda thought a squirrel's tongue would be that big! LOL!)

How do you tell yours apart when they are the same sex and look identical in every way? I don't really want to put a collar on them for fear that they would get hung up on something and choke...kinda the same thoughts for ankle tags, too...worried about broken limbs.

Experiences?? Ideas?? Thoughts?? Just wanna poke fun at me for not being able to tell them apart?? :tilt

island rehabber
10-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi CQ -- try Googling "agricultural markers" and you'll see a few ag supply catalogs where you can order these markers online. Now they're made for cows and sheep so they are big -- about an inch in diameter -- but you can use a little makeup brush and just dab some color on the top of one girl's head. They come in bright orange, bright green and bright blue, are really cheap (less than $2 each I think) and harmless to the critters. I bought some when I had the five fuzzers but I can't remember which catalog I got them from.....middle aged moment.....:skwredup :)

heidiann
10-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Might not be the best idea (sold me if you need to) but I put a dab of nailpolish in different colors on each of their tails. They haven't bothered fussing with it at all. I was in a bind and couldn't think of anything better.

muffinsquirrel
10-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I just notch the tails on mine - fur only, of course!!! I have 3 litters of flyers right now, so I have a rather involved code for that many - they are all between 1 1/2 weeks in age. But just trim a little fur off the side of one of their tail and that should do it - it won't rub off and it will grow back.

muffinsquirrel

Critter_Queen
10-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks you guys...I could probably get the ag marker thingy from a farm supply store local to me...might do that since hubby grew up on a farm and would know all about 'em and where to find 'em. :)

Great ideas!