PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Trauma?

Byrd
10-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Maybe i just worry a lot but my family and i remember Loki running and jumping all over people at the age rosceo is no 7-8 weeks, maybe we are wrong but either way roscoe seems scared of jumping his eyes were ope when he fell out of the nest so i was wondering if that could have caused enough trauma to keep him from being a ferless little jumper like most squirrels. what age do they usually start jumping everywhere?

Pointy Tale
10-04-2009, 01:41 PM
HI, I am Not a rehabber, and am slow typer, but if you hang tight I will read your post and see who is online, can you stay on line for a few minutes? So glad that you are still there, please don't forget to refresh your screen to see new posts.

PBluejay2
10-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Maybe i just worry a lot but my family and i remember Loki running and jumping all over people at the age rosceo is no 7-8 weeks, maybe we are wrong but either way roscoe seems scared of jumping his eyes were ope when he fell out of the nest so i was wondering if that could have caused enough trauma to keep him from being a ferless little jumper like most squirrels. what age do they usually start jumping everywhere?

At 7-8 weeks he should be pretty active, but still at that age they're not fully developed as far as their coordination. They're still growing (quickly) and each day they have to test out their new, bigger legs, bodies, weights. Also, a lot depends on his caging. Does he have lots of room to exercise/practice? I once received a fully grown adult who had been kept in an aquarium his entire life who could barely climb my pants leg, much less jump (By the way, he's now the house squirrel and is fine).

Byrd
10-04-2009, 02:13 PM
He is very active i men he will climb up you. never really back down and he darts around he has room to jump in his cage but not a whole lot but he is usually only in there when i'm at work or asleep all other times he is with me, he has jumped a few times uually to get back to me but thats all.

PBluejay2
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
He is very active i men he will climb up you. never really back down and he darts around he has room to jump in his cage but not a whole lot but he is usually only in there when i'm at work or asleep all other times he is with me, he has jumped a few times uually to get back to me but thats all.

I really don;t think at 7-8 weeks you should expect him to be sailing through the air like an adult would from branch to branch, so be patient. From what you've described, he wsounds fine to me. Before long he'll be like mine are--attack squirrels flying out of nowhere and landing on you :D

Byrd
10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Well I set him up in a bigger cage today, still not the one he will be living in but this one is big enough for him to run jump and climb in.

whopoopwrasse
10-05-2009, 07:05 AM
What size cage was he in?

And what size is the one he's in now?

At 7-8 weeks They are still trying new stuff like PB said, give him a bit of time and he'll be as crazy as any other sq. :thumbsup

JLM27
10-05-2009, 08:40 AM
If the big cage is high enough to cause injury if he falls, you might want to put in some padding, stuffies, bedding, especially if he is having any trouble with balance.

island rehabber
10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes please don't put him in too large of a cage too quickly! Repeated falling in a large cage can have dire consequences. My 6-8 week olds live in a cage exactly like this:

http://ifpetsruledtheworld.com/store/product699.html

They can climb, but not fall more than 10-11 inches. :thumbsup

Byrd
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
he was in a small little rabit cage he is now in a big dog kennel with cloth strched across the middle. he has bedding in it but i will put some more padding on the bottom to be safe.