PDA

View Full Version : ant poison

SUNSHINE
10-02-2009, 07:58 PM
i have a ant trap one that you can stick in ground or lay flat its grey and plastic well my grey got a hold of it and tore it open im worried sick has anyone experianced this ? how bad is this i dont know what she got out of it if any but being open scares me to death ive been making her eat so shell drink she ate a hole cookie and a nut and two meal worms like she was really hungry which she wasnt she drank good for me , know in bed im gonna be up all knight worried any suggestions does anyone know the affects of this stuff and what it could do to know ahead of time , ive been non stop praying,shes 4 years old and very healthy thanks for any info

PBluejay2
10-02-2009, 08:03 PM
i have a ant trap one that you can stick in ground or lay flat its grey and plastic well my grey got a hold of it and tore it open im worried sick has anyone experianced this ? how bad is this i dont know what she got out of it if any but being open scares me to death ive been making her eat so shell drink she ate a hole cookie and a nut and two meal worms like she was really hungry which she wasnt she drank good for me , know in bed im gonna be up all knight worried any suggestions does anyone know the affects of this stuff and what it could do to know ahead of time , ive been non stop praying,shes 4 years old and very healthy thanks for any info

I think the quickest way to get help would be to call the poison control center. I think all poisons have the number listed on their packaging.

starfairy
10-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Squirrelly got ahold of one once. I beleive I called the number and they said that there isn't enough poison in them to hurt. But I would call just to make sure since that was quite awhile ago and the formula could have changed by now.

PBluejay2
10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I just dug out a a book on poisons (old book). If you can read on the packaging and see what the active ingredent is, I'll look it up for you.

TexanSquirrel
10-02-2009, 08:50 PM
When my dog did this with a roach trap I called the poison control people and they were also worried about how much of the plastic he ate. Can you tell if the squirrel ate any plastic?

SUNSHINE
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
i dont know if i have package ill look , staying with her she come out of bed and has been throwing up now i keep giving her watewr and little bit more to eat i think its good for her to get it out she still seems okay and she knows im tryin to help shes actually drinkin alot of water for me shes back in bed again ill be right by her side i think if she gets it all up and out shell be fine,im prayin , prayin, prayin thanks for info i cant find a box it came in

SUNSHINE
10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
i dont know if she actually ate any of the plastic , it was all in tiny pieces like she just bit it apart

TexanSquirrel
10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
:dono

So she's throwing up now? I am going to post this in Emergency - better safe than sorry....

TexanSquirrel
10-02-2009, 09:31 PM

i dont know if i have package ill look , staying with her she come out of bed and has been throwing up now i keep giving her watewr and little bit more to eat i think its good for her to get it out she still seems okay and she knows im tryin to help shes actually drinkin alot of water for me shes back in bed again ill be right by her side i think if she gets it all up and out shell be fine,im prayin , prayin, prayin thanks for info i cant find a box it came in

i dont know if she actually ate any of the plastic , it was all in tiny pieces like she just bit it apart

-from username: SUNSHINE

TexanSquirrel
10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=445794#post445794

Ok, I posted the important stuff from this thread at that link. Please go there now and post your updates.

Please find the package and post the ingredients so the rehabbers will know what they are dealing with.

whopoopwrasse
10-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Can you see a brand name on the trap itself?

TexanSquirrel
10-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm afraid she logged off...

PBluejay2
10-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I was here. I was waiting. I hope the baby is okay . . .

Mrs Skul
10-03-2009, 01:23 AM
:wave123 Sunshine How is your little girl doing today?

Mrs Skul
10-03-2009, 01:24 AM
:wave123 Sunshine How is your little girl doing today?

SUNSHINE
10-03-2009, 07:59 AM
hi everyone she did great thru the night no more throwing up the smorning she did her usual had her coockie came to my room and played , i see no bad signs im so relieved i hope the danger is gone will keep very close eye on her the ing. in the ant stakes is HYDAMETHYLON 1.0%:thankyou

SUNSHINE
10-03-2009, 08:11 AM
the ing inthe ant traps is HYDRAMETHYLON 1.0 % MY GIRL IS DOING GREAT SHE NEVER THRU UP ANY MORE AND NO OTHER SIGNS, IM NOW WAITING TO SEE HOW SHE GOES TO THE BATHROOM BREATHING IS GOOD SHES EATING ,PLAYING, THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE I WAS A NERVOUSE RECK ,PRAYED ALL NIGHT RIGHT BY HER SIDE, SHE SLEPT WELL. MOMS TURN.

island rehabber
10-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Glad she is better, Sunshine! :thumbsup Here's the best I could find on hydramethylnon:
Does hydramethylnon affect wildlife?
• Hydramethylnon dust is practically non-toxic to honey bees that eat or touch the dust (1, 6).
• Hydramethylnon is slightly toxic to practically non-toxic in birds depending upon the species (1).
• Hydramethylnon is moderately to very highly toxic to freshwater fish. Hydramethylnon is also moderately toxic to
freshwater insects and shrimp. However, aquatic life is not likely

They don't mention small mammals, unfortunately...but it doesn't sound like a highly toxic kind of poison. Interesting that it breaks down in water.....I think making sure a squirrel who eats this stuff gets lots of water immediately MAY help....:dono

island rehabber
10-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Sunshine, I merged your Emergency threads into one so that we can all follow your squirrel's recovery. :)

SUNSHINE
10-03-2009, 08:40 AM
THANKS FOR THE INFO, I MADE HER DRINK LOTS OF WATER LAST NIGHT, SO THATS GOOD TO HEAR THAT IT BREAKS IT DOWN, SHES DOIN HER BUSINESS GOOD TOO,SO HPEFULY SHE GOT IT OUT OF HER, DO YOU THINK THE PLASTIC COULD HAVE ANY EFFECTS ON HER DOWN THE ROAD, I REALLY CANT SEE THEM EATING IT JUST CHEWING IT , BUT YOU NEVER NOW

island rehabber
10-03-2009, 08:44 AM
DO YOU THINK THE PLASTIC COULD HAVE ANY EFFECTS ON HER DOWN THE ROAD, I REALLY CANT SEE THEM EATING IT JUST CHEWING IT , BUT YOU NEVER NOW

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that one year I bought a ferret cage with those pretty, brightly colored plastic shelves. Within a week my squirrels had shredded the shelves to what looked like plastic confetti on the bottom of the cage. I was horrified, but nobody was affected at all! :D

TexanSquirrel
10-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm SO GLAD she's doing better!!!:alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif

4skwerlz
10-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I've been following your thread and I'm so happy your girl is doing better!:thumbsup :grouphug You got some great advice.

Throwing up was probably the best thing she could do; hopefully she got rid of some of the toxins.

If plastic were highly toxic for squirrels, I think all of ours would be dead. They LOVE to chew plastic. Not that I'm recommending it of course....

Prayers coming your way that your baby will be just fine.:grouphug

Mrs Skul
10-04-2009, 12:56 AM
:wahoo I am happy your little one is doing well. Keep us posted. Christal

SUNSHINE
10-04-2009, 06:41 PM
HI EVERYONE DAY 2 AFTER CHIPPY EATING AT THE ANT POISON ,SHES STILL DOING JUST FINE,SHES ACTUALLY BEING REAL LOVABLE WITH MY HUSBAND ALL OF A SUDDEN, ITS PROBABLY ALL IN MY HEAD JUST WORRYING TO MUCH BUT IT SEEMED LIKE SHE FELT THINNER, SHES HER REGULAR SELF, THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE WHO WROTE FOR CARING, I WOULDNT BE THE SAME WITHOUT HER, I COULDNT EVEN IMAGINE, SHES MY GOD SENT BABY GIRL LITTLE ANGEL EVEN THOUGH SHES A LITTLE STINKER TOO, YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN:thankyou , IM SO HAPPY NOW:multi