PDA

View Full Version : NR Northern New England ... Help

LittleRed
09-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Just curious is there is anyone who is willing to help me out with a NR Red. We're looking to relocate her to someone who has more space for her. She is just not happy no matter what we do. She’s a year and a half old and is used to people, cars and cats.

She has been very unhappy for the past few months. We figured it may be that she’s coming of age, the season changing, etc ... but she it biting and attacking EVERYONE. She is just SOOOO angry! We give her free range of our whole house and our three season porch furnished with cut down maple trees, but she’s just SO angry. All she does is SCREAM and Screech all the time. Whenever we let her out of her cage she charges us and bites our feet and arms.

We would like to know if there is someone in Northern New England who may be willing to take her in and give her a better home. We call her a NR because she’s so used to other animals and people. She would probably run up to the first cat she saw in the wild.

We took her in as a baby and I know that there are people out there who say that I shouldn't have a squirrel around cats, but at the time taking her in was SO much better than letting her die in the wild.

Any help or helpful responses would be appreciated.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
It sounds to me like your squirrel is being a typical red squirrel. They have attitude! She probably won't be happy no matter how big of a cage she has, she is a wild animal and is meant to be free in the trees... whether or not that is still possible for her, I am not sure. She should NOT have been around the cats growing up. Does she interact with them? She should be afraid of them even if she was raised near them, as long as they didn't play together, she will have a natural fear of them.

LittleRed
09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
When she was a baby she befriended our large male cat. They were best friends. Now, she hates the cats and screams at them whenever she sees them. She hates everything ... I have tried everything to help her calm down, but I'm getting frustrated with being bitten and attacked all the time. I cant even go into my own bedroom without being attacked!

She has no stashes either, I did think of that. Its just getting out of hand!

psychobird
09-30-2009, 06:05 PM
sound to me like she needs to be free!!! what part of new england are you from?? once i let my grays go, she can have full use of my outdoor aviary for a little while, i have lots of reds here so she will have no problem finding a boyfriend once released.
and thankfully i have no cats around, but i am on a busy road, but i'm also surrounded by woods