PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 week old fell out of the tree

Ida_Mann
10-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I know nothing of the critters except to know that this is a baby flying squirrel that one of the mini pinschers brought to the patio this morning,,,,,fed him a couple drops of water that he sucked from the end of the syringe but I think he is having trouble breathing and need some advice of what to do.

I'm going to try to include a picture if I can figure out how to do it.

Id@

Ida_Mann
10-01-2006, 10:03 AM
another pic for size comparison.

Id@

island rehabber
10-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Ida -- I hope one of our members who knows flyers better than I do will respond quickly, but in the meantime I would treat this baby for shock...keep her very warm, very quiet, and in a dark evironment or in a covered container so it will be dark and secure. If she is having trouble breathing, the dog may have damaged or punctured something -- do you have a vet you can call who treats wildlife?

island rehabber
10-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Also if you are going to give her fluids I would use a 1cc syringe -- that looks like a 3cc and may be too large for her, you don't want to get water in her lungs.

Ida_Mann
10-01-2006, 10:31 AM
OK, update, I'm sorry to say but just a few minutes ago he stopped moving at all and has not moved for at least 10 minutes now,,,no breathing or any other type of movements.

I think at least I made him/her comfortable for a few hours.

Id@

island rehabber
10-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry, poor little one. :(

Mrs. Jack
10-01-2006, 11:34 AM
:( I am sorry. It was very very kind of you to try your best to help the little one out. I am sure that you made his final moments much better for him. Thank you for caring and being there for him.

Suro
10-02-2006, 06:51 AM
I'm so sorry you lost him, like you said though, at least he was warm and safe with you. :(
Poor little thing, so tiny and helpless, I wonder whether he had some internal damage, from the dog, maybe broken ribs from being held and collapsed lungs, something like that you would never have been able to correct, but at least you made him as comfortable as possible. He is at peace now though, and thanks so much for trying to save him.