PDA

View Full Version : When to do things...

GuardianEarth
09-16-2009, 04:46 PM
When do I add the water bottle to her cage?
She also seems to be eating alot more slowly so when should I start to wean her.
I give her apples every day.
She opened her eyes maybe a litle more than a week ago but is still slow moving.
I am not sure how old in weeks she is.
but her eyes are open and her inscisors are coming down and she is just developing some ability to lift her tail though she doesn't yet.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Your little girl is about 7 weeks old. I have some about the same age and I have monkey biscuits in with them and they chew on them a little but not much. I will start giving them a real diet next week with carrots, apple, broccoli, grapes, avocado, banana, squash, sweet potato, etc. You can try offering some of those foods and walnut halves and see if she is interested. I take mine down to 3 feedings a day when their eyes open (because on 4 feedings I have a night feeding since I work, but I can sleep through the night if they are on 3 feedings a day).

How much does she weigh now? She should be really putting on the weight. My little one that weighed 70 grams when yours first started having issues is now 132 grams! She should be gaining at least 4 grams a day.

4skwerlz
09-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't make apples her first food. You'll give her a sweet tooth. Fruit is like candy for squirrels. Fruit is a TREAT; not good nutrition.

Stick with formula as long as she'll take it. Then her first food should be some kind of rodent block or squirrel block. Plus healthy veggies.

Try making the formula a bit warmer; some squirrels like it almost hot!

island rehabber
09-16-2009, 07:53 PM
For what it's worth, this season I have not given my gang ANY fruit at all. Not even grapes. And guess what -- they love their rodent block :multi.
I think fruit gives them a sweet tooth and so then all the good healthy stuff tastes horrible compared to it.

4skwerlz
09-16-2009, 08:00 PM
For what it's worth, this season I have not given my gang ANY fruit at all. Not even grapes. And guess what -- they love their rodent block :multi.
I think fruit gives them a sweet tooth and so then all the good healthy stuff tastes horrible compared to it.

Interesting...

pamela lee
09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I NEVER give my babies fruit until it's almost time to release and then it's only what I can find growing wild....mine have ALWAYS LOVED their Rodent block.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-17-2009, 05:18 AM
Sorry guys, I am the one that suggessted the apple. Apple is ALWAYS the first food I offer, along with rodent block or monkey biscuits because they really like it. Then they get avocado, grapes, and banana cut really small. For me, I have to offer foods they like to get them on the weaning process because for me feeding formula 4 times a day means I have a night feeding and when I get up to 16-20 squirrels I can't manage a night feeding for everyone, it just doesn't happen. So, I try to get mine to eat regular food as soon as their eyes open so I can get them down to 2-3 feedings a day. My guys are never picky from getting the fruits first, they will eat anything. Rudy actually goes for the monkey biscuits first now. Fox squirrels will eat anything once they learn real food is good.

I guess if you have just one, you could get them started with the healthy foods first, but you will have to keep him on 4 feedings a day until she is eating it.

4skwerlz
09-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Sorry guys, I am the one that suggessted the apple. Apple is ALWAYS the first food I offer, along with rodent block or monkey biscuits because they really like it. Then they get avocado, grapes, and banana cut really small. For me, I have to offer foods they like to get them on the weaning process because for me feeding formula 4 times a day means I have a night feeding and when I get up to 16-20 squirrels I can't manage a night feeding for everyone, it just doesn't happen. So, I try to get mine to eat regular food as soon as their eyes open so I can get them down to 2-3 feedings a day. My guys are never picky from getting the fruits first, they will eat anything. Rudy actually goes for the monkey biscuits first now. Fox squirrels will eat anything once they learn real food is good.

I guess if you have just one, you could get them started with the healthy foods first, but you will have to keep him on 4 feedings a day until she is eating it.

I think you're right, that greys are much pickier eaters than foxers.

GuardianEarth
09-17-2009, 05:18 PM
sadly I just started her on the esbilac with cream and she is not gaining weight she did gain 4 grams initially and then dropped 1 gained some and is down 1 again. I am thinking i maybe need to up her feeding amount but she eats SOO slowly now with the new formula and it is like drop after drop after drop.

so no water bottle yet?

Nancy in New York
09-17-2009, 07:51 PM
When do I add the water bottle to her cage?
She also seems to be eating alot more slowly so when should I start to wean her.
I give her apples every day.
She opened her eyes maybe a litle more than a week ago but is still slow moving.
I am not sure how old in weeks she is.
but her eyes are open and her inscisors are coming down and she is just developing some ability to lift her tail though she doesn't yet.

If she just opened her eyes a little more than a week ago, personally I would keep her stricktly on the formula for a couple more weeks minimum...I love keeping mine on this, it has everything in it that she needs. You can slowly add a few pieces of pecan or walnut, but right now I believe that her main diet should be the formula. Don't even worry about the water bottle yet, that will be a long way off.
Here is an excellent site that offers suggestions and pictures of their different stages...
Good luck with her....

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Is your squirrel clicking at all? Has formula come out her nose? If she is not sucking the formula down like she used to that is a problem. Something has to be going on if she isn't willing to drink the formula. You are warming it before feeding right? She shouldn't be losing weight at all at any time. She needs to be picking up the weight and I would try to get her on regular food as well because then she gets more food and should gain weight.

I am feeding my one hundred grammers 8 ccs :). I am not mixing the new formula as thick as recommended, I am making it like 2:1 formula. I mix up 4 tbsp. Esbilac powder, 2 tbsp. multimilk powder, and 12 ccs water. Then I feed 5-8% of their bodyweight and it works great!

Nancy in New York
09-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Is your squirrel clicking at all? Has formula come out her nose? If she is not sucking the formula down like she used to that is a problem. Something has to be going on if she isn't willing to drink the formula. You are warming it before feeding right? She shouldn't be losing weight at all at any time. She needs to be picking up the weight and I would try to get her on regular food as well because then she gets more food and should gain weight.

I am feeding my one hundred grammers 8 ccs :). I am not mixing the new formula as thick as recommended, I am making it like 2:1 formula. I mix up 4 tbsp. Esbilac powder, 2 tbsp. multimilk powder, and 12 ccs water. Then I feed 5-8% of their bodyweight and it works great!

:thumbsup Multimilk

Jackie in Tampa
09-18-2009, 07:27 AM
I am concerned...
by 7 weeks, mine are chow hounds...
something is not right here folks!
This baby should have a big appetite!tinfoil
and if no one has mentioned...always peel anything that you give when they are first starting out, they can choke on skin!
Is she clicking? did I miss something?
sorry, just trying to figure out what is going on!
sending 'my best appetite to her? eat baby sq, EAT!
grow big and strong!!!!:grouphug

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
This little squirrel is a foxer. They are slower to grow up and learn to eat their regular food and everything else. Instead of opening their eyes at 4 and a half to 5 and a half weeks old like greys foxers open theirs at 5 and a half to 6 and a half weeks old and they don't really start eating regular food until they are 8-9 weeks old. They SHOULD be eager eaters (for formula) after their eyes open though.