PDA

View Full Version : Caring for young squirrel

Bakuhn7
09-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Hello.

A few weeks ago, I found a baby squirrel that I took in, after watching it hide in a bush for a day, with no mother to be found.
I assume that the mother died ( found next to busy road ).
I have since taken this little guy in and he's been doing great! He couldnt eat much food other than peanut butter because of his teeth I presume. Its been about 2 weeks and little cheeto is doing great!
I am looking for some tips on getting him a bit more used to humans. He's very active and is always interested in what i'm doing. He's not afraid of people, and seems to enjoy being pet and played with! He's very curious.

I'm estimating that he is about a month old? but i'm no expert...thats why I have some to this forum! Any help on caring for my little cheeto would be VERY appreciated! Thank you all!

http://tinypic.com/r/25iy7eq/3

NaturesGift
09-16-2009, 04:15 PM
hi and welcome

please do not continue feeding him peanutbutter.

can you show us a picture or describe him in full detail so we can discover how old he is and give you diet Ideas?

Meanwhile you need ot run to a vet or feed store..or pet store and by some esbilac puppy milk replacer. And a syringe to feed him with.

Momma Squirrel
09-16-2009, 04:48 PM
There is alot of info and good people here to help, listen too all their tips and advice and lil cheeto should be fine.

Do you have a way to weigh him? What is his bedding like?

I know we ask alot of questions but just wanna get you on the best path to taking good care of cheeto.

Jackie in Tampa
09-16-2009, 05:38 PM
:Welcome :wave123
Thank you for rescuing Little Cheeto! RIP Momma SQ!

He should be on Esbilac until minimum of three months old.
He should be in a container half on a heating pad set on low!
Please keep him away from other pets and loud noises.
peanut butter is not a good diet...he will contract MBD with out proper nutrition..honest!
Sqs must have a high in calcium diet..low calcium certainly means a suffering death, but also anxiety before the sudden decline. please follow all memebers advise, as we have seen many sqs die due to seed and junk food diet.
If you can post a pic, we can help you age him and give better details on baby sq care.
I will post a link to the ABCs of Bab sqs...here ou will find three articles in purple text..these are full of info...a great place to fill in the gaps!
Glad you are here seeking knowledge:thumbsup
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56