PDA

View Full Version : Wife Scared about Staff Infections--HELP!

Little Sparky
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
We have found a Baby squirrel about a month ago. She is doing great and is very healthy. Very playfull and comes right out of the cage to me,when I call his name... My question is, we were seen all over the internet that you can come down with a Staff Infection from handling a squirrel? We love Sparky, but we also don't want to get that deadly infection....

What is the truth?, and do we need to be very careful... He looks healthy, no watery eyes, She eats like crazy, and is very active... When we found Her,she was about 6-8 weeks old... She is a fox squirrel... Thanks for your help in this issue... I have included a Pic and a video...

psychobird
09-15-2009, 05:48 AM
i have never caught anything from a squirrel or a bird for that matter and i have raised around a hundred squirrels and i'm nearing a 1000 birds.
just practice common hygiene sense, when handling his waste.

psychobird
09-15-2009, 05:51 AM
oh and he looks cold in that food dish, i hope he usually has lots of cozy fleece to snuggle in and a heating pad under 1/2 the cage

4skwerlz
09-15-2009, 06:28 AM
Staph germs are found all over your environment naturally. In fact, it lives on your skin.

I'll guarantee there are more nasty bacteria (and viruses) in your kitchen sink, under your fingernails, on your phone, and especially on the handle of that Walmart shopping cart, than you'll ever find on your squirrel.

Humans CAN sometimes catch diseases from animals, but we catch 99% of our diseases from other humans. If your pet is healthy, with yearly vet checks, etc., then there is little to worry about.

Jackie in Tampa
09-15-2009, 07:08 AM
:wave123 In one of your other threads..I posted links to our nutrition forum, as well as the ABCs of baby sqs...
As PBird has sudggested, a heating pad half under container, also t shirts work well for baby sqs, anything that will not snag their nails...NO TOWELS!!!!!
Again, I recommend getting this baby on ESBILAC!! today.
Two kinds are offered, a ready to use liquid in a can, good for only three days in fridge, but can be frozen into cubes. Also a can of powder, which also needs refridgeration. Follow the directions on the can, first feeding can be semi diluted, 3waters to one powder. After that I would gp with full strength, 2 waters to one powder.
Esbilac can be found at most fed store, pet stores, and some vets...also Tractor Supply carries.
We recommend feeding with a 1cc or 3cc syringe, also found at same places. Nipples are optional and can be harder to find. I will mail you whatever you cannot find...
Hold the baby in an upright position to feed, never leaning back, go very slow or baby can aspirate , causing pnuemonia. If formula does come out his nose, tilt his nostrils toward floor for a few seconds so it can drain out, and gently dab an excess from his nose...please be careful and SLOW!
Please do not take this as anything but loving help. We want to help you and your baby sq! I am not a good typist and my sqs have eaten my keyboard! *eek*
Please place tshirts in cage....if he climbs and falls even that short distance he may hurt himself, also they feel better hiding! I provide a water bottle as well as a drinking bowl at first. Cheerios and pecan halves are good first foods as well as peeled grapes and apple pcs. They must be peeled, so baby won't choke.
I also push formula as long as possible, weaning is not nessecarily something to rejoice...the longer they are on formula, the easier it is to get them the right nutrition.JMO
Also cover the entire cage at night and keep him away from all other animals, exposure to domestic pets can create a false sense and later can be havoc when in the wild. He is also going to need several sized graduating cages...are you planning on releasing your baby?
I am not sure about climate in Ok, but some sqs must be over wintered as there will be no leaves{nesting materials} for him on the trees and no food to store.
Since he is a solo/singleton, I also would offer a rice buddy, a sock filled with any rice, tied off and microwaved for approx 20 seconds to snuggle up with.:grouphug
I have offered all I know to get you started on the right path! Others will have more advise!
:bowdown Thank you so much for taking him in, he is gorgeous! Of course baby sqs are the best thing in the world...IMO!:D
also as others have said...there is nothing to worry about as far as catching anything from him...nothing! I am biten almost daily for many years, all I ever got was a band aid bill:rotfl !
:poke We love pics ...so please post more!!!!!
If you need help and want us to find a rehabber, we can also help with that.
:thinking I am not sure if Oklahoma is legal state, thinking it is not, so please be careful with him.
Sending lots of love and good vibes from Sq Central!:grouphug
:wave123

psychobird
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
is that a currant picture?? how old is she??

psychobird
09-15-2009, 08:15 AM
oh there is like 5 threads going with the same question maybe the moderator can combine them

henry_peanut
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey Little Sparky, I don't mean to thread jack but Jackie you said that the Esbilac liquid was fine to use?! That's great news! You can't find the powder here easily but I did see the liquid at a pet shop the other day...Could I freeze it in a normal ice cube tray and use as needed?
:Love_Icon

Pointy Tale
09-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Sparky is adorable.