PDA

View Full Version : Fish Hook Stuck in Squirrel

Lovedemsquirrelies
09-29-2006, 10:17 PM
One of the squirrels I feed everyday at lunch has a fish hook in his hip. The hook has a 3" lure attached to it and there is about 6" of fishing line attached to it. The squirrel is not limping, bleeding, or reacting to the hook. Yesterday he did not have it, today he does. I expect it will infect if it is not removed. I am told the hook must be cut off and pulled through because it has barbs that will tear him if it is pulled out in the direction it went in. What should I do? He hand feeds, and gets pretty close to me.

Love Dem Squirrlies needs advice please !!!:dono

SquirrelyGirly
09-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Lovedemsquirrelies..I can't help you:dono but someone here will be able to suggest something. hang in there.

Hopefully it all works out

nutz4squirls
09-29-2006, 10:29 PM
You Need to contact a wildlife rehabilitator or animal control to trap this squirrel and get him taken to a vet asap. He's going to get tangled in the line and have a lot of trouble getting that hook out on his own. Chances are he won't get it out. Since squirrels are not much for swiming I'm sure this was a prank that someone thought would be funny to catch a squirrel with a fishing pole with a nut attached to a hook. Where is this that this happened? State, Park etc?? Nutz

nutz4squirls
09-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I just noticed your in California. If you let me know what County your in I can try to get someone to help you with this squirrel. nutz

Secret Squirrel
09-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Have you checked DNR in your area??? http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ Maybe they cab help too.
Keep us posted on the little guy/gal!!!