PDA

View Full Version : Rehabbing in NE Ohio?

mtomecko
09-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Soooo...this little guy has stolen my heart. I have found great accomplishment in seeing him grow strong everyday. I would LOVE to look into doing this legally...as a squirrel rehabber...but have no clue where to begin. I have so many questions.
Could someone help me?
Is it illegal in NE Ohio to rehab without a license?

This is the second time in 2 years that I have nursed squirrels to health and I am loving it! I am willing to volunteer, wake up at all hours to feed (heck, I do that with the kids anyhow) lol., I just am finding complete happiness in doing this. From a teenie tiny pink, fur-less and very helpless baby to an active, strong squirrel....I LOVE IT!!!! I AM HOOKED!!!
Could someone point me in the right direction?
Thank you very very much.
Michele

Legomom
09-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is located in Northern OH. Send her a pm & maybe she can help you out. Yes, I do believe that it is illegal to rehab in OH without a licensed rehabber as your 'supervisor' or a license.

Good luck from a Buckeye living in the South! :thumbsup

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
It is illegal to rehab in Ohio without a permit. You will definetely want to wait until after this guy goes free before you persue a permit, but a category one is pretty easy to get. It is for orphaned squirrels and bunnies only, but it is a good way to get started and since that is what you have gotten so far, it will suit you well.

If you are REALLY interested in the world of wildlife rehabilitation, your best bet is the Ohio Wildlife Rehabilitators Association conference in November. You can find out more info at www.owra.org. There are even grants available to cover the hotel expense and conference price. I have been to the conference before and it is a great time. If you want to get a category one permit, you have to take the rehabbing class they offer on Friday, it is animal basics or something like that. I am taking the RVS class so I can rehab bats next year :D.