PDA

View Full Version : Legal/Illegal states

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-10-2009, 06:44 PM
If I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize. Nowhere else really seemed appropriate.

I am travelling from Florida to western Kentucky in a few weeks to help my sister move down (THANK GOD).
Anyway, Rodney will have to come with us (not a problem at all) but I don't know where to look to find out if it's legal/illegal for me to have him in the states I will be travelling through.
God forbid some cop or a game warden drive up next to us and see him in the truck and try to take him from me.
Does anyone know where I might find this info or is it somewhere on the board?

pamela lee
09-10-2009, 07:49 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1979
If coming through Alabama or Georgia it's illegal to even have wildlife in your possession. I actually went down to meet Jackie in Tampa and several other members and had 5 babies with me. I got pulled over in Alabama right before the Georgia state line for speeding. The car I was driving still had my sons OLD expired tags from California and I was transporting illegal wildlife across the border. By the time the Trooper got to my window I was crying so bad that he felt bad and just quickly wrote me a speeding ticket and didn't even check anything. I was sooo scared, I kept imagining the headline " Crazy women locked up for speeding across state lines with SQUIRRELS". I went the speed limit the rest of the way.

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Great. We have to go through a big chunk of Georgia.
Not planning to get pulled over, I do have a badge that should preclude any excessive searching or anything though :) I hope.
Oh that would be horrible if they took him from me.
A couple of weeks ago I could have hidden him in my bra, he liked to hang out there LOL but he is too big now.

btw Pamela go to that thread that has your cage on it, the one about the nest boxes and cages. We built our cage over the weekend based on your and it came out really nice

Wow that thread on the states was really something. So I guess my mom and I will be wanted in 6 states after we make this trip LOL We are travelling with a truck and a LQ horse trailer, so I think we will be able to hide him.

psychotic feather
09-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Careful in Ky! All exotic animals need permits. But what they don't know won't hurt 'em right? :D

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Crap. And I just reserved an RV spot at a state park for the camper.

Well, we'll just keep him in the camper and hide him. At least he's really quiet hopefully he won't make any noise.

Maybe I can tie a beak on him like that squirrel on the coffee mug and tell everybody he's a really ugly bird.

Bugsie
09-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Watch out in Tennesseetinfoil
Good luck..and a safe trip:thumbsup

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks. I will remain hopeful that apprehension of bootleg squirrels is not too high on the list of enforcement priorities, but we will still do all within our power to avoid detection.

virgo062
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Hey I am in Georgia what part are you camping in? Just be careful and if they ask what is in the box tell them it's a rattlesnake I bet you they won't look

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-11-2009, 08:13 AM
We aren't actually stopping in Georgia, just passing through. We are going to western Kentucky to move my sister and 5 year old niece back down to FL to live with my mom. We will be staying at a state park campground for at least one maybe two nights in Kentucky while we pack up her stuff in the horse trailer and then heading back.

bug2001
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
What about ohio I cant find anything if you can keep one legally and how can i find out what all involves in that. I did have one. but he passed on and would love to find another one, but I know my luck I wouldnt have another one climb on someone and bring it to my house. I would love to buy one. I dont know where to look either

Rescue04
09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow, so we have a fugitive on the run! LOL Seriously though it is too bad you do not know someone down here who could help watch him while you go away. We are lucky to have enough friends to watch our babies while we are away. Leroy is tame enough to play with anyone, thank god, and if he has an issue - give him a piece of cantelope and he is your best friend forever!

island rehabber
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey guys? The last post in this thread was over a year ago -- 9/11/09 :D

PDXErik
09-15-2010, 06:37 PM
What about ohio I cant find anything if you can keep one legally and how can i find out what all involves in that. I did have one. but he passed on and would love to find another one, but I know my luck I wouldnt have another one climb on someone and bring it to my house. I would love to buy one. I dont know where to look either

This is a pretty useful site.
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php

Hey guys? The last post in this thread was over a year ago -- 9/11/09 :D

Maybe, but it's a pretty useful thread.

Conkers
11-06-2010, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE=Bugsie]Watch out in Tennessee
Good luck..and a safe trip:thumbsup[/QUOT
Ya know what, I am totally not even looking at this. GOD would say I did the right thing! And as long as I let her go, no regrets! Who! Who could let her lie on the sidewalk and die? It was ME who grieved over her life and it was me who gave life to her! Now, I am ready to watch her be a squirrel! Now is when integrity kicks in because I love her more than any "pet" I have ever had. I looked up the qualifications to be a rehaber in this state and it is more than I have time to dedicate to. I know I am doing the right thing as long as her freedom is in mind. That is the MOST important thing. Despite my love, she is a wild thing haha! I wouldn't have it any other way lol! Perhaps it was the nursing that created this bond for us both...none the less, it is there! True love is doing what is right for the source, not yourself! Raise the baby, release it, or call a rehaber and they will, or me! I would do what is in the very BEST interest for the baby!

Conkers
11-06-2010, 05:39 AM
[QUOTE=Conkers][QUOTE=Bugsie]Watch out in Tennessee
Good luck..and a safe trip:thumbsup[/QUOT
Ya know what, I am totally not even looking at this. GOD would say I did the right thing! And as long as I let her go, no regrets! Who! Who could let her lie on the sidewalk and die? It was ME who grieved over her life and it was me who gave life to her! Now, I am ready to watch her be a squirrel! Now is when integrity kicks in because I love her more than any "pet" I have ever had. I looked up the qualifications to be a rehaber in this state and it is more than I have time to dedicate to. I know I am doing the right thing as long as her freedom is in mind. That is the MOST important thing. Despite my love, she is a wild thing haha! I wouldn't have it any other way lol! Perhaps it was the nursing that created this bond for us both...none the less, it is there! True love is doing what is right for the source, not yourself! Raise the baby, release it, or call a rehaber and they will, or me! I would do what is in the very BEST interest for the baby![/QUOTE

I know its an old thread but who knows!