PDA

View Full Version : Green Diarreah

SilentRodent
09-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I've been taking care of a 4-5 week male baby squirrel for about a week now. He's been pooping and peeing regularly. About two days ago I woke up and he was a bit dehydrated so I gave him some grape pedialyte and he started having green diarrhea. Before this his poop was fairly solid. I wouldn't think that pedialyte would do this. Any ideas? he seems to be crawling around fine, and he's one some antibioitics for a very early mild sneezing/clicking noises which are subsiding. But he was pooping fine while on the meds before the pedialyte.

Other things I've been feeding him are esbilic formula and he has some rodent blocks pro in his box since he's got some little teeth, though he doesn't seem to have touched those yet.

I apologize for any confusion. I have class tonight at 6:30, but I will keep checking back for any feedback.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Green diarrhea usually indicates coccidia. Do you have any albon?

It is possible that the flavor additives in the pedialyte upset his stomach. I always use plain pedialyte.

Has he gotten any new foods, like avocado, or something else that is green? Does he have anything green in his cage he could have chewed on?

grinn75
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Antibiotics can destroy the natural and healthy bacteria in their gut. You may want to try adding some yogurt or a pro-biotic to the formula.

SilentRodent
09-09-2009, 10:26 PM
No I don't have any aldon, can I get that anywhere without a vet? I got my antibiotics and dosage from left overs from my horse, and I don't believe that we give that medication to horses. But I can get standard antibiotics.

I can try giving him yogurt, I'll stop the grape pedialyte and see what happens. He seems to be peeing clear healthy pee and he has an appetite, just the weird green diarrhea.

NaturesGift
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
You really need the Albon I would call and ask your vet in the AM they normally sell it for dogs and cats its cheap and they should sell it to you.

Let me know if your vet wont let you have it.

Mandie

SilentRodent
09-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't know if he will give it to me without seeing the animal I need it for. That's the problem, and it's illegal in connecticut to have wild animals. The only reason I have the antibiotics is from having horses.

Now I am really worried and not sure what to do. : /

muffinsquirrel
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Grape Kool-Aid = green poop. Could be that grape pedialyte does the same. I have no idea why it turns poop green - I would have been less surprised if it was purple! Anyhow, try dropping the grape pedialyte and see if that doesn't clear it up.

muffinsquirrel

SilentRodent
09-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Hmm..maybe its the antibiotics causing the diarrhea(maybe it took a few days for it to cause it?) and the grape pedialyte is coloring it? I was doing some research on the coccidiosis and he's got a hearty appetite and is growing and gaining weight like normal.

I didn't know grape/purple things caused green poop. That's...really bizarre.

Thank you to all of you for helping!

NaturesGift
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Ok I searched online and found this...

https://www.storesonline.com/site/744999/product/532-9777831

its generic albon

NaturesGift
09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
ok I have been talking to SilentRodent via PM and the problem was that he was on Cephalexin (keflex) Bad bad messes up the GI tract and can be fatal.

besides that if it was left overs from the horse it may have gone bad since the medicine is only stable for 2 weeks.

He needs probiodics to get his wittle tummy back in order:thumbsup

Mandie

SilentRodent
09-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Yes, threw the meds out even though they were still good, he's getting yogurt and doing better. He still has some diarrhea but he's getting better. I can't thank all of you enough for the help and my ignorant move. : ( I feel horrible. I am just thankful I found this site and all the friendly people on here to help me.

NaturesGift
09-11-2009, 11:41 PM
How us her today? any pics?

SilentRodent
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
My baby is doing great today, he just started holding his tail up over his back. It's adorable. I don't have any pictures because I can't find my card for my camera.

The diarrhea is almost completely gone and boy does he have an appetite.

Legomom
09-12-2009, 03:56 PM
:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo
Give the little one some lovin' for me! :Love_Icon