PDA

View Full Version : When to introduce water?

Wizzoot
09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Ive had some baby squirrels going on 3weeks now. Still cant get ahold of the rehabber lady! Anyways, things are well.. growing big.. normal poops.. Their eyes opened just yesterday (Im assuming they are 5wks?) and Ive provided some rodent block and they are... well getting used to it lol. Question I have is.. when do I introduce water through a water bottle?

Thanks!

GuardianEarth
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I actually have some of the same questions. My baby opened her eyes just two days ago and I was wondering when to add the little waterbottle I got for her to the cage as well as start her on food and when I should start decreasing formula and giving her more food.

Legomom
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
We usually start introducing foods at about 7-8 wks. Start with rodent blocks (either Henry's Healthy Blocks or Harlan Tekland) & offer some of the soft foods as well: peeled grapes (young squirrels can choke on the skins), apple chunks, etc. but give them the formula as long as they are willing....the longer they take it, the healthier they will be. We even mix esbilac powder into a small bowl of applesauce for our boys that will be released this month & they're 6 months old.

We introduce water around the same time as solid foods. This usually coincides with a move to a bigger cage as they get larger, more active & curious.

Hope this helps! :grouphug

EDIT: In the meantime, be sure to familiarize yourselves with the stickies in the Nutrition Forum. http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191