PDA

View Full Version : Not eating.

MaxX
09-29-2006, 07:34 AM
(Since no one is looking at my other topic, and I really need some help, I'm copy and pasting into a new topic. Sorry.)

Grr.

He's refusing all but a little bit of the formula I'm trying to give him, and the only thing he's eating right now is shelled pecan halves.
I've been putting leaf lettuce, apple, carrots, cheerios, banana and sweet potato in his cage to see if he'll eat any. He's not eating a whole lot of any of those, actually, hardly any. The main things he's really showing any interest in are the pecan halves, (He just chews those things to bits constantly), little tiny bit of banana, some cherrios, tiny bits of carrot, he only picks up the lettuce and just puts it in his mouth, doesn't seem to think much of it. And he hasn't really touched any apple.
One thing I haven't been feeding him the past few days is avacado, which I'm about to go give him some right now. But my main concern is his not eating any of the formula, and if he does it's only like 2-3 ccs. He's been doing this since yesterday afternoon.
I've been trying to feed him more every 2 or so hours. Should I start giving him water instead, or keep trying to feed him the formula? He spazzes alot and runs all over my arms and back when I try to give it to him, but I have no idea why. Any help?

Okay, he didn't eat very much avacado.

Mrs. Jack
09-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Maxx, are you giving him all the foods at once or one at a time? Maybe he's overwhelmed with newness.. I found, with my wilds, that when I put a "fruit plate" out for them, they all avoided it. but when I put a dish with just apples, then just avocado, etc. Many of them would check it out and the food would disappear.
I've not raised a baby squirrel, but I've raised a baby human, and I remember that when he was starting solids, it worked best to introduce one new food at a time.. and that he'd play with it more than eat it at first.
I'm not the expert around here, but those are some thoughts of mine.

muffinsquirrel
09-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Try mixing some baby RICE cereal with his formula - maybe he will lap it from a dish. (I can guarantee that he will get it all over himself - clean it off while it is still wet, if at all possible - it's a lot easier that way!)

Judy
muffinsquirrel

Buddy'sMom
09-29-2006, 10:47 AM
This is my first post, first squirrel baby, too, so this is not the voice of vast experience, but ...

Buddy is 10 weeks (we have raised him for 6, based on the wonderful, wonderful support and guidance of all of you!!). We also found that he rarely picks up food to eat on his own, but if he refuses formula and is HANDED a piece of veggie/fruit, he will sit and eat it (usually). I am hoping that once he gets the hang of eating-when-hungry, he will go and "find" the food for himself. He is now starting to do that, once in a while, so I think there's hope for when we aren't there to literally hand out the food.

He will lap up vanilla yogurt, but so far only once tried formula, with or without being mixed with yogurt or cereal - yes, a major mess as he sort of stuck his paw and whole face in!! No interest at all in water.

Thank you all for your help!! :thankyou

island rehabber
09-29-2006, 11:01 AM
(Since no one is looking at my other topic, and I really need some help, I'm copy and pasting into a new topic. Sorry.)

Grr.

He's refusing all but a little bit of the formula I'm trying to give him, and the only thing he's eating right now is shelled pecan halves.
I've been putting leaf lettuce, apple, carrots, cheerios, banana and sweet potato in his cage to see if he'll eat any. He's not eating a whole lot of any of those, actually, hardly any. The main things he's really showing any interest in are the pecan halves, (He just chews those things to bits constantly), little tiny bit of banana, some cherrios, tiny bits of carrot, he only picks up the lettuce and just puts it in his mouth, doesn't seem to think much of it. And he hasn't really touched any apple.
One thing I haven't been feeding him the past few days is avacado, which I'm about to go give him some right now. But my main concern is his not eating any of the formula, and if he does it's only like 2-3 ccs. He's been doing this since yesterday afternoon.
I've been trying to feed him more every 2 or so hours. Should I start giving him water instead, or keep trying to feed him the formula? He spazzes alot and runs all over my arms and back when I try to give it to him, but I have no idea why. Any help?

Okay, he didn't eat very much avacado.

Max, I don't recall how old your squirrel is now, but it's good to ask yourself the basics when a baby won't eat well:

Is the formula very very warm?
Am I using a syringe with or without a nipple attachment - whatever he prefers?
Is the squirrel in a comfortable position while feeding, and are you, also?
Is there noise, distraction, movement around when you're trying to feed him? Some squirrels won't eat with a TV, dog or person with loud voice around.
Are you feeding at the correct time schedule for his age and weight?

If all these things are OK and he's still not taking much food or liquid I would suggest a vet exam. Healthy squirrel babies should be interested in eating more than anything else during their waking hours....if they're indifferent to food something is going on.

GhosTS
09-29-2006, 11:03 AM
MaxX, how old is the baby.(Did you already mention it.I missed it).Offer him just a piece of apple.Mrs. Jack is right.They sometimes reject food when they have too much to choose from.Also try giving him kale.All my squirrels loved it even as a starters food.

MaxX
09-29-2006, 04:24 PM
At first I gave him little pieces of different things at a time. Like, apple one day, avacado the next, banana, etc. Then recently he just grew a major interest in his pecans. I just got home from work and fed him, he ate about 8 CCs, better, but still not what I'd like. Then I put a little bowl of the sweet potato, apple, lettuce, carrot and the pecan mixed up into his cage, and he went over, inspected it, then chose a nut out of the bowl. Should I discontinue feeding him nuts for a while?

Also, he's about 8 weeks old now, give or take a few days.

I'll try giving him Kale as soon as I can.

EDIT : Also, on the way home from work, I picked up a cuttle bone. He gnawed on it a little bit, then lost interest.

Secret Squirrel
09-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Maxx, nix on the nuts... avocado is a nut so limit that too. All kids will eat junk...tha't what they do. As a parent you gotta be strong and give him only the best foods you can. A hungry squirrel will eat proper diet, so you will have to feed him only good foods for 2-3 feedings before he gets the point.
Kale, broccoli stalks..they really don't like the tips that much... cauliflower, rodent block, carrots. I mix Esbilac with ground up rodent food and serve it in a jar lid...they lick it up and get a belly full.

MaxX
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I ended up feeding him again about 15 minutes ago, and he ate 10 CCs, now he's just asleep in my lap.

Okay, I'll stop giving him nuts for now, and get some kale and broccoli.

Also, if you could go to the petsmart website and tell me if they have a proper rodent block, that'd be really helpful. Also, if you could point out which one, that'd be good too. :D Thanks a bunch!

MaxX
09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Also, he's started grunting recently. Is this normal for him to grunt when he moves a certain way sometimes?

island rehabber
09-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Good for you, MaxX, it sounds as if his appetite is picking up....and yeah, they make all kinds of sounds even as newborns....grunts, "nuk-nuk"s, growls, chirps and snorty sounds. Even in their sleep, which one of mine is doing right now. :D

Secret Squirrel
09-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Also, if you could go to the petsmart website and tell me if they have a proper rodent block, that'd be really helpful. Also, if you could point out which one, that'd be good too. :D Thanks a bunch!

http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/August04/51822_3ae95.jpg (javascript:open_popup('/global/include/inc_product_detail_popup.jsp', 635, 635);)This is Kaytee Forti-diet for rats, hampsters. This is the "rodent block" I use. I also use Mazuri, Fiesta & LM brands ...it just depends on what pet store you are using.
This photo is from the petsmart website. I looked in the small pet then narrowed the search by pet type, then selected rat.
I recommend to use this food as a 24/7 diet. Just leave a few pellets in the dish or cage daily. The squirrel will make beach sand out of it!! ha ha!! But for the most part will hide and nibble the rodent block between the fresh veggie feedings.
I hope this helps :peace

MaxX
09-30-2006, 01:30 PM
That's the exact kind I was considering. Thank you for confirming! And as always, I really appreciate all the help from you guys. I'm so glad I was able to find such nice and helpful people!