PDA

View Full Version : newborn squirrel

Nightl3lade
09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
first off, this is a double post, sorry, i just read this one and thought this section was a better fit..

anyways, when i got home from work today i stepped out of my car and saw a newborn squirrel (i think, pic below) on the pavement, i tried placing it under the closest tree, which is about 20 yards away, for about an hour, it was still there. so my question is how do i care for him, he seems to be doing okay right now, hes active. what should i be feeding him.

PBluejay2
09-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Because there's nothing to give a frame of reference to size, I'm not certain about what it is, exactly, but I'm pretty certain it's either a mouse or rat baby. But they need love too!

They take the same basic care as a squirrel baby. Please search the thread on here for what to do--especiallyn under the Emergency thread and the Non-life threatening help needed thread. It's a cute little baby, whatever it is!

psychobird
09-02-2009, 09:35 PM
looks like a baby mouse to me also, they can be hard.
i still have one i raised from a pinky who was also a cat attack.
he just turned 3 and is the best little pet ever.
needs to be kept warm and cozy, heating pad under the container and i'm sure he is deydrated needs pedialyte.
feeding is a challenge also, chris's squirrels and more sell tiny little nipple that are great for them
they need to be fed more often and will need a night feeding at this age.
can you take a pic of him next to a coin so we can see how big he is?

Feeze
09-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm going to agree with the others. Yes, please do research the "baby squirrel" care. I'll PM some members to see if you can get some mouse/rat specific advice.

Nightl3lade
09-02-2009, 10:02 PM
here is the photo you requested.

psychobird
09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
if you can get your hands on a sterile insulin syringe and remove the needle you may be able to get a tiny bit of warm pedialyte into him, it's so hard to tell if your getting anything into them they are soo tiny, but even a couple of drops every couple of hours will help him out a lot.
he will need to be stimulated to pee, a damp q-tip or a corner of tissue work good.
he needs to be fed about 6-8 feedings at his age, with 1 night feeding, he's under 1 week.
the diet is the same as a squirrel diet. esbilac

psychobird
09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
oh yeah, that's a itty bitty mouse! so cute.
you can also take a toothpick and dip it into the pedialyte and pick up a tiny drop and bring it to his lips, he may lap it up, go slow and take your time, make sure he's nice n warm before you give fluids and keep him warm while you feed him.
get your magnifying glass out! lol

Nightl3lade
09-02-2009, 10:20 PM
will he be alright tonight and through the day tomorrow? i do have a job :(

and can i feed him baby formula for tonight? i have had him in a padded box with a heating pad under it also

island rehabber
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Awww...this little one will need to be fed about every 3 hours....are you able to do that? He won't eat much at a time -- it will only take a minute or two to feed him. The same formula we use for squirrels is fine -- Esbilac puppy powder. I think this little one is a baby rat, although I've never rehabbed one. He doesn't look like the pinky mice I had. :dono

Cecil
09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi Nightl3lade. The important thing for tonight is to make sure the baby is warm and hydrated. Feeding him before he's stabilized will do more harm than good.

You have the heating taken care of, now you need to get fluid into him. Pedialyte is what's recommended but if you don't have that available you can make a substitute. Directions can be found here:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11782

Though feedings for a baby mouse are not needed as frequently as other animals it's still very important that no more than three or four hours passes between feedings, that means at least one nightly feeding. Go slowly and look for the milk line in the middle of their tummy. When it's evident, they're full.

The good thing is that baby mice mature rather quickly and will begin to wean themselves soon after opening their eyes. Once that happens the hard part is over. :-)

Peaches
09-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I have to agree with IR here, that's a 3 or 4 day old baby rat. I just raised 9 of them. He looks very dry though, he's probably dehydrated. On a up note they grow very very fast and will be self sufficient in no time. :D In the meantime just follow the baby squirrel rules.

Peaches
09-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh I just took a much closer look at the photo. He's dry alright, he has ringtail. Mom probably abandoned him because of it, most will kill them. Their skin gets very dry and tight with flakes, the tail will develope deep rings that cut into the tail. In most cases parts of the tail will die, turn black and fall off. I have 3 with short tails. They do out grow it but the tail issues can take up to 2 months to heal. Rubbing him with a thin coat of olive oil twice a day will help the condition. the older he gets the better he will get. Those rings in the tail are the tip off, a healthy rat does not have groves in the tail or wrinkles on their skin. I have photo's of mine at 5 days old next to healthy ones, I will post them when I dig them up. You will see the difference.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-03-2009, 05:20 AM
He looks like the two little mice I have :Love_Icon

I am feeding .1-.2 ccs every 2-3 hours. I work as well and have to leave them go from 6 AM to noon, but other than that I feed at least every three hours. Is there any way you can go home at lunch to feed your little guy? Yours looks like he is in rougher shape than mine, mine are quite energetic and latch onto the syringe to feed.

psychobird
09-03-2009, 08:29 AM
i don't think he will make it if he has to go 10 hrs or so everyday without a feeding, he will be in a constant state of dehydration.
can you bring him to a wildlife rehabilitator??? or bring him to work with you??

virgo062
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
What a cutie...hope he makes it

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Night13lad,

Hello,
Welcome to TSB...

Making my rounds..Popping.. to see how this little one is doing?
Were you able to smuggle him into work with you?
I can't see how any supervisor with out abeating heart could deny you taking 5 min..to tend to this baby...
Until it is able to reach a longer stretch on it's own..
I know it maybe akward...but you maybe surprised if you just ask...'if you may bring it in UNTIL...its able to be left home..on its own.".:thumbsup
Just a thought.
FTN~

psychobird
09-04-2009, 04:33 PM
i'm curious also any update good or bad?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I doubt the update will be good :shakehead. He looked to be in pretty rough shape and if the person couldn't feed during the day... I don't think getting him to a rehabber would have helped though, I don't know of any around here that take mice (except me :crazy). Almost all centers would euthanize or feed him to something I am sure :shakehead.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Night13lad,

Hello,
Welcome to TSB...

Making my rounds..Popping.. to see how this little one is doing?
Were you able to smuggle him into work with you?
I can't see how any supervisor with out abeating heart could deny you taking 5 min..to tend to this baby...
Until it is able to reach a longer stretch on it's own..
I know it maybe akward...but you maybe surprised if you just ask...'if you may bring it in UNTIL...its able to be left home..on its own.".:thumbsup
Just a thought.
FTN~

It is worth a shot to ask, but I know at our work it is absolutely not allowed. Flat out no, you would be fired if they come through the door, that is how bad they are. You can't have them with you and feed them at lunch or break. That is for squirrels and bunnies too, believe me the responses you get when you say you have baby mice aren't what you would hope for :shakehead.