PDA

View Full Version : Heat source?

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I have a baby squirrel that is about 8 weeks old. He is just starting to get more active and is ready to get out of the cat carrier he has been in and into the intermediate cage I got him yesterday (thanks craigslist).

The new cage is 33"x17"x17", I have a nest box, a hammock and some toys, branches etc to put in there for him.

What I need to know is how long do they need an additional heat source? Right now he has a heating pad sometimes and one of those microwave bed buddies. When can they heat themselves?

He is eating about 11 mls (like a hog) about every 5 hours when I'm up, I don't get up with him at night.
The game plan while I am off work the next few days is to get him into his bigboy house, stretch the formula feedings out and start introducing some solid foods. I got him a cuttle bone today and also ordered some stuff off of the henry's healthy blocks site.

Jackie in Tampa
09-01-2009, 05:21 PM
:Welcome If he's healthy, he should be ok now without heat. However they love it and it makes them feel cuddled and loved...not so alone!
I hope that the New Cage is only temporary....too small for anything more than a week or so at best...
I have had a sq break her back and die years ago, too active in a small confined space...no play area! jmo:(
Bigger is better!:thumbsup

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
It is definitely temporary. My husband is coming home this weekend and I hope to build a bigger cage for him.
I wanted this one just to get him weaned and give him more room until we can build the new one. I do plan to try to release him when he's ready, but while he is with us he will get lots of "out" time and play time.

They are loving him here at work, Sarge calls him our mascot, it too cute

So you think he would be ok without extra heat now? He seems to get cold so fast when I take him out and likes to cuddle up.

Jackie in Tampa
09-02-2009, 05:56 AM
:D so he's a traveling cutie...and the boss likes him!
Whootie whoot!:wott We love Sarge!:thumbsup
Hate to sound pushy...but the best thing in my opinion is to NOT try to wean him. The longer they are on Esbilac the better off they are. The daily required nutrition is in esbilac and is so easy. Once you start giving ONLY solids, they get picky and it becomes harder to get them to eat as well. Also starting them off on ONLY the good stuff is best. Hard not to cheat, but better to only give things from the healthy list! Also HHBs are the best and should be introduced immediately.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191
The 'healthy list' and the Blocks can be found in this link to the nutrition forum! 4 Skwerlz has even offered the recipe to those who have time to bake them at home!:tilt

Here is a link to a great release cage that a female member built 'alone' for $150! Dang good example!:bowdown {Pamela Lee}http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4362&highlight=nestboxes+cages

Good Luck and :poke we need pics!:worthless

Rodney Ro-Dent
09-02-2009, 04:27 PM
They LOVE him at work, everybody is really enjoying him even though all he does is mostly sleep.

How much longer should he stay on the formula? I'm fine with it as long as he needs it, whatever is best for him. I already printed out the list of recommended nutrition and so on from that forum, it's very helpful. I kind of figured I would do both for awhile, he likes nibbling on his chow and such, but still enjoys the formula, and he would wean himself eventually.

have already ordered Henry's squirrel blocks, and the vitamins from there so I can make my own, and also ordered him a wodent wheel LOL

will check out the cage plans, I must have missed them when I looked before.