PDA

View Full Version : Expectant Squirrel Losing Hair on Face and Hands

ScootFoundUs
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
One of the babies I raised and released has been outside for a year now. She still comes to visit most days for a buffet of nuts on our back patio. A few weeks ago, I noticed she's pregnant with her first litter. Then a week ago, she started showing up looking pretty rough. At first I thought she was just dirty from digging more than usual, maybe in preparation, but now she's losing fur from spots on her face and on her forehead and the back of her front paws. And I'm not sure what to think of it or if there's anything I could do to help.

Has anyone seen this type of thing? I took these of her today:

http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/45542/2293631590101609462S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2293631590101609462GzagaB)

http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/5313/2577726580101609462S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2577726580101609462sHgSeB)

Here, notice the backs of her front paws:

http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/42778/2260670150101609462S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2260670150101609462doDlNd)

Thanks ~

PBluejay2
09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
It looks like it could be mange. If she's pregnant you shouldn't treat with Ivermectin, from what I'm reading, because it gets into the breast milk. She can be treated with Capstar (safe for pregnant animals), but you'd have to be able to adnimister it topically.

4skwerlz
09-01-2009, 07:03 PM
IVERMECTIN_USE - MODE OF ACTION – POISONING
http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html
Introduction
Toxicity
Effectiveness On Lice
Pregnancy and the Young
FDA Information

Notes: PREGNANCY AND THE YOUNG

Horses:"No adverse effects on reproduction were seen in these trials and it was concluded that ivermectin may be used safely in breeding stallions and in pregnant mares....There are insufficient data to determine safety of ivermectin liquid in foals less than 4 months old." (FDA - NADA 140-439)

Cattle: Some ivermectin products are for use in ruminating cattle of at least 12 weeks of age (not the very young) . Data presented on subcutaneous administration of ivermectin showed no adverse effects on breeding cattle. Applied topically, the concentration of ivermectin in the blood was significantly lower than the concentration of ivermectin applied subcutaneously in the blood, supporting the claim that topical application is also safe in breeding cattle. (FDA - NADA 140-841)

Sheep: "No stillbirths occurred in either group and no deformities were found in any lambs. Ivermectin was concluded to have had no effect on these pregnant ewes or their lambs." (FDA - NADA 131-392)

Dogs: "There were no clinical signs of toxicity among pregnant female dogs receiving ivermectin. Average maternal body weight gains were not affected by ivermectin treatment." (note the low doses used) (FDA - NADA 138-412)

Cats: "Ivermectin, administered in this chewable dosage form, is safe when administered to kittens at the label dosage of 24 mcg/kg body weight. There were no statistically significant effects of treatment on birth weight or weaning weight of kittens, on numbers of litters with mortalities or abnormalities, on total litter size, percent born alive and percent weaned, or on weight gains of male cats.... Labeling restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian because professional expertise and proper diagnosis are required to determine the existence of hookworm and/or heartworm infections." (FDA - NADA 141-078)

Rats, rabbits, and mice are referred to when evaluating the safety of ivermectin in horses: "Ivermectin has been shown to be teratogenic in rats, rabbits, and mice at or near maternotoxic dose levels. At these high doses, evidence of a teratogenic effect is limited to cleft palate that occurs at a low frequency in all three species and clubbing of the forepaws which occurs only in rabbit fetuses. Mice are the most sensitive species to the effects of ivermectin with maternotoxicity at a dose of 200 mcg/kg/day and teratogenicity at 400 mcg/kg/day. In rabbits 6000 mcg/kg/day was maternotoxic and teratogenic, and teratogenicity was also evident at a dose of 3000 mcg/kg/day. The threshold for both maternotoxicity and teratogenicity in rats was 10,000 mcg/kg/day." (FDA - NADA 140-439)

PBluejay2
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
From Drugs.com. Albeit this is human use, I wouldn't risk it. Humans-squirrels, horses-squirrels: great difference in species either way.

Stay off my ass 4s.

Ivermectin Pregnancy and Breast Feeding Warnings

Overview

Do not use Ivermectin if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Ivermectin is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ivermectin , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.

Ivermectin Pregnancy Warnings
Ivermectin has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed evidence of teratogenicity, but at doses that were also maternotoxic to the pregnant female. The manufacturer considers ivermectin contraindicated during pregnancy.

Two cases of the use of ivermectin during pregnancy have been reported. These reports found that the risk of fetal damage in pregnant women treated with ivermectin was no greater than control. The risk versus benefit should be considered in pregnant women heavily infected with parasites, especially during mass distribution of ivermectin in endemic areas. The advantage of treatment may outweigh any potential risk to the infant.

Ivermectin Lactation Warnings
Ivermectin is excreted into human milk in low concentrations. The manufacturer recommends that treatment during nursing only occur if the risk of delayed treatment to the mother outweighs the possible risk to the infant.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
The risk versus benefit should be considered in pregnant women heavily infected with parasites, especially during mass distribution of ivermectin in endemic areas. The advantage of treatment may outweigh any potential risk to the infant.

Ivermectin Lactation Warnings
Ivermectin is excreted into human milk in low concentrations. The manufacturer recommends that treatment during nursing only occur if the risk of delayed treatment to the mother outweighs the possible risk to the infant.:goodpost ...when the benefits out weigh the potential loss of mother and babies..treatment is the ONLY option here.
Now the next question...ScootFoundUs will you be able to handle her to treat her?
FTN~

JLM27
09-01-2009, 08:35 PM
(Let's not have an ivermectin war here.) My understanding is that mange, while ugly and probably uncomfortable for the patient, is not life-threatening unless the squirrel loses enough fur in the winter so as to die of hypothermia. Is this correct? If true, then it would seem that there is time to get the alternative drug considered safer. My real concern would be, and we have discussed this before, how the heck do you apply it topically to a wild squirrel? Squirt gun?

PBluejay2
09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
(Let's not have an ivermectin war here.) My understanding is that mange, while ugly and probably uncomfortable for the patient, is not life-threatening unless the squirrel loses enough fur in the winter so as to die of hypothermia. Is this correct? If true, then it would seem that there is time to get the alternative drug considered safer. My real concern would be, and we have discussed this before, how the heck do you apply it topically to a wild squirrel? Squirt gun?

That's my understanding also, and since this was a squirrel raised by the poster, a squirrel who probably still recognizes its "Momma" and who is still friendly and comes around for feedings, it probably wouldn't be too stressful to trap it and apply the Capstar.

4skwerlz
09-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I thought Capstar was only for fleas and maggot infestation. Or is that an off-label use?

PBluejay2
09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I thought Capstar was only for fleas and maggot infestation. Or is that an off-label use?

I've found on several sites that it also kills mange mites, but you're right about my brain fart--all the while I was thinking Revolution. Too little sleep. Plus I have Capstar on the brain after picking up a baby last night with maggots crawling inside of its mouth. Had to put the little boy down (crushed jaw also).

scurry'smama
09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
The hospital I work for has Capstar and it is an ORAL medication used to kill adult fleas. I have used it for numerous rescue dogs that I have taken in.
Could there be a different kind I am not aware of? The product I am speaking of is by Novartis.

PBluejay2
09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
The hospital I work for has Capstar and it is an ORAL medication used to kill adult fleas. I have used it for numerous rescue dogs that I have taken in.
Could there be a different kind I am not aware of? The product I am speaking of is by Novartis.

You're right. Again, I was saying Capstar but thinking Revolution. My apologies. But what I've skimmed, Revolution is considered safe for pregnant animals. If I'm wrong, then I'm sure someone I've tried to avoid but seems to be hell bent on riding my posts and finding fault will soon, rightly or wrongly, correct/contradict me. The issue is mange in a pregnant female squirrel (which there is little to no research on how any medicine might affect), and I, although I am in a minority in still thinking Ivermectin is a very useful effective drug, would hesitate giving it to an expecting mother. If the squirrel is left untreated, however, my biggest concern would be that she would infest her offspring, who might be even more difficult, if not impossible, to treat.

scurry'smama
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I am sorry pj, i must have been posting while you were explaining, As far as I know we have had clients use Revolution on pregnant animals with no problem, but again I only know about the dogs and cats in our hospital but assume it would be safe for squirrels as well.

Also, As an after thought I have used low dose Ivermectin on very small birds with no side effects....they are extremely sensitive beings and I would feel if safe for them then prob safe for squirrels.

I am sorry you feel contradicted and or corrected... I have felt that way here:shakehead and it is not fun. Have a good night and good luck to you.

PBluejay2
09-01-2009, 11:39 PM
I am sorry pj, i must have been posting while you were explaining, As far as I know we have had clients use Revolution on pregnant animals with no problem, but again I only know about the dogs and cats in our hospital but assume it would be safe for squirrels as well.

Also, As an after thought I have used low dose Ivermectin on very small birds with no side effects....they are extremely sensitive beings and I would feel if safe for them then prob safe for squirrels.

I am sorry you feel contradicted and or corrected... I have felt that way here:shakehead and it is not fun. Have a good night and good luck to you.

I wasn't referring to you, scurry! But anyway, the issue with Ivermectin for me is the use on a pregnant female. I've used it on squirrels before, both wild and rehab animals, with no problem. It's a very effective drug when dosed correctly.

ScootFoundUs
09-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi all.

I couldn't check this thread last night and just saw all these comments. From what I gather, Invermectin is an oral medication but there's debate over whether to use it on a pregnant squirrel. The topical Revolution could prove effective but I would have to be able to get it on Suzie. While I did raise and release her, she was already over 5 weeks with eyes open when I discovered her in my backyard, clearly orphaned, and brought her in. She was already a bit on the wild side and as a baby, she tolerated me but was far from friendly. Now that she's been released for awhile, she's more patient and agreeable, even sitting on my lap a few times and allowing me to pet her back/tail. I've not touched her face, never having a need to do so, particularly since she's usually eating while here. But if cautious and moving slowly, I could probably get some of the ointment on her.

Of course, this is if I could GET Revolution. I have a great vet I could ask and several rehabbers in my area who may have Revolution as well.

But here is one thought, however--I looked at other threads that mentioned mange and it seems that mange comes with red, scabby skin and itchiness. Is that correct? She doesn't have this going on. The fur is simply missing--what's left is pink-looking, furless skin. Makes me wonder if it's mange at all... Would it be harmful to try the Revolution even if it ends up not being mange?

Thanks for the insights. :thankyou

SFU

4skwerlz
09-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi all.

But here is one thought, however--I looked at other threads that mentioned mange and it seems that mange comes with red, scabby skin and itchiness. Is that correct? She doesn't have this going on. The fur is simply missing--what's left is pink-looking, furless skin. Makes me wonder if it's mange at all... Would it be harmful to try the Revolution even if it ends up not being mange?

Thanks for the insights. :thankyou

SFU

The wrinkly scabby skin happens as the mange progresses. In the early stages, it can be hard to diagnose without a skin scraping, but it does very typically begin in the head/neck area. The most common type of mange mite causes intense itching, but there is one type of mite that does not.

If you can get Revolution, give that a try. But if you can't get near her to dose her, then I personally would use the Ivermectin, diluted and dosed very carefully. Although we are always "guessing" when using drugs off-label (i.e., on squirrels) at least in the info I was able to find, there was not one instance of harm to mothers or babies when dosed properly. You could also wait and see. I guess either way, there are risks.

Although mange is usually self-limiting, it does weaken them. Since mange often strikes when the squirrel is stressed, injured, or ill and their immune system is weak, you might also think about some extra food/vitamins for her, especially zinc, which helps boost the immune system.

ScootFoundUs
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
How would you give the Invermectin (if going that route)? How do you know what the correct dosing is?

How would you give vitamins/zinc?