PDA

View Full Version : Little Missy is hurt!

clk
09-28-2006, 04:18 PM
We have renamed Bounce "Little Missy" as we now know she is a little girl. I went outside to feed her this morning, when she made a different sound that she ever has. I did some checking and found a cut on her tiny ear, and she is favoring her right hind leg. I placated her with a grape while I looked at the leg. I don't think it's broken (can't be 100% sure) but there is a triangle sized cut on the inside of the leg. She wants to be in her bed and will eat only if I hold her. Can I use something like Bacitracin (an anti-bacterial cream) on the cuts?
I think that her Momma may have done this to her as she will run her off from the food or the tree when she is around. I am not sure of what to do at this point. Can anyone give me some suggestions???? Thankyou!:dono

Critter_Queen
09-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Neosporin is fine to use...generic, too...I use the stuff with the pain medication in it... I would start by washing it in warm soapy water to be sure you get it clean...if you have betadine or iodine around you can dilute that with water and dab a little on the sore when you are finished cleaning it, otherwise just wash it out and apply the neosporin.

I hope this helps!

clk
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Thank you so much- I will give it a try. Any suggestions on what I should use to wash it out? Or do I use just plain ole water?

GhosTS
09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Use plain water.Or use a sterile saline solution if you have it.

clk
09-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I washed the area with soap and water, then put on some neosporin. She was NOT happy with that. That leg just kinda dangles there. I didn't think she could do anything, but when I put her in her cage and went back in the house to feed the hubby, Little Missy was climbing the screen door!!!! Still dangling the back leg, so maybe she will be okay?? She cries when you move the leg and it breaks my heart. She is still sooooo sweet, gave me nose kisses after I gave her the sunflower seeds then her pecan.:)

Timber
09-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Maybe you should bring her back in while she heals so she doesn't become even more damaged. But to tell you the truth she looks a little young to be released. Foxers are larger then grays to began with so in weight she may seem ready to be released but it doesn't sound as if she is mature enough for it.

Secret Squirrel
09-28-2006, 10:45 PM
I've been reviewing your posts......The very first one was Sept 3, 2006.....so say he/she was 6 weeks old. Now 4 weeks later you have released her....so 6 weeks plus 4 weeks....makes Little Missy 10 weeks old but let's round it up to 11 weeks old.
That makes Little Missy....OH HOW DO YOU SAY.......A BABY.....!!!!!
We are here to help but releasing a squirrel way too soon is not acceptable for any reasons. She was attacked by mature squirrels who KNEW momma wasn't around to protect her. What was your reason for letting her go prematurely??? If I am wrong I don't mind being set straight....so PLEASE set me straight.
We try our best to help...but we can't even begin to do our job if folks don't listen. Squirrels raised by humans need to be released no sooner than 16 weeks old. Missy had more than a month to go. Squirrels raised by humans can't possibly obtain the full savvy that a real mommas can give in the wild. A singly raised squirrel has less less of a a chance than those raised in litters of 2 or more. Even if they are mixed matched litters from different mothers.
All the sunflower seed won't help her broken keg....GET HER TO A VET ASAP.....if the vet can't repair the leg....what is you next move??? Will you accept responsability and raise a non releasable for the rest of her life....or will you have her euthanized?

clk
09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I want to thank all of you for your concern about Little Missy. I washed the leg and put some neosporin on it. Momma squirrel was the one who hurt her. I found that out late yesterday from my neighbor. So we have that mystery solved. I went out to feed her this morning and she wasn't in her cage but up in the tree in her favorite spot. She came down to me when I called and is still favoring the leg but is putting alot more weight on it- she seemed like her old self this morning with kisses and piggy grunts. And she is climbing like crazy! Up the screen door and up the living room window screen as well!!!! Just for the record- I am not releasing her yet. We are trying to get her accustomed to being outside since the weather has been really warm during the day and at night. And she doesn't want to be inside anymore. I am very very encouraged that she seems to be able to use the leg again- it is not deformed but seems to have a bite wound. I did call the Vet that we had when we had our dog, but he said it didn't sound like the leg was broken by the pictures I sent him and the description I gave him. And yes, I would be fully prepared to care for Little Missy should anything prevent her from being released. I would not euthanize her for either a broken leg or bite wound. The only way I would have that done is if she had a condition that was causing her immense pain and could not be cured. She is both my husbands and my furry baby and we would never do anything to harm her- she is just sooooo sweet and loving- you can't help but want to protect her. Our backyard is fenced and fairly small with this huge 100+ yr old black walnut tree right smack in the middle of it, and she is protected from cats, dogs etc. We are usually always in the back yard, so we can see what is going on. I hope this clears up any questions regarding her early release and injury. And thank you all again for your concern and help, I really do appreciate it (as does Little Missy!!) :)

Squirlgirl
09-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi clk,
I too was wondering how Little Missy was doing and how old she is? Normally, with an injury they are kept in a cage to prevent climbing and to be kept quiet, until the sore limb heals and wounds heal. Also, when preparing for release, they stay in the outside cage for awhile, before the door is opened.
I presently have many youngsters that need to be kept through the Winter, due to age and squirrel ability. Is LM storing food in her nest box? Is she padding her nest box, making it a home? Does she open hard shelled nuts?Often single squirrels do not "wild up" as quickly as those with sibs.
My little guys would love to be outside and play and climb trees, but would surely end up injured or as a snack. They still look to me as Mom and would continue to return to me, which is teaching them that that is what wild is...which it is not. Does LM have enough time to build a stable nest, before Winter? She just seems very young to me. Youngsters do go through the "crazy" stage of wanting to be independant, but its up to us to know what is right.
Just a few things that I was wondering and that you may want to make sure that she is able to do, before release. :dono

clk
09-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Little Miss has been hiding food in her nest. Nothing like hidden broccoli, cauliflower, hazelnuts etc to sleep with!! She has been bringing in leaves and twigs, pinecones and bark into the nest as well, so I guess that would be considered building her nest. I have still kept her blankies in there (as well as her teddy) as she really likes her fleece blanket. She can open the walnuts and hazelnuts now (talk about sharp teeth!!) But I still suppliment with the squirrel food that we feed the others. Since I can see the Mommas nest and the three other babies from my back yard- I have kind of tried to follow Momma in what she does with her other babies, in other words- Momma is kind of pushing the others away. The other babies are up in the back tree now climbing and running and two of the three will follow Momma to the back yard and eat what I have put out there. I have contacted the Audobaun (sp?) Society as well as ODFW and their websites. I know that calculating LM's age has been difficult at best, but from watching the other babies and seeing what LM has been able to do, they are guessing her age at around 12 weeks- beats me. I know that she had her eyes open when I got her and she could climb and had her hair. I don't know if you can tell by the latest pictures, but she curls her tail like a big girl. So, if LM is, say, 12-13 wks old (and will ALWAYS be my furry baby) I would think that keeping her outside in her cage would be the right thing to do at this point??? Hey, what do I know? People babies were easier than this (that's NOT what I said when I had our son 24yrs ago!!!LOL) So I only hope I am doing the right thing by her, she seems happy. I have to tell you, she came down out of the tree again, climbed up on me, grabbed my glasses and planted two little nibble kisses on my lips. I was a gonner!!! You can't beat a squirrel kiss (okay- maybe from the hubby 1st-THEN the squirrel!!!) :)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-29-2006, 01:17 PM
She sounds like she has a wonderful personality!

island rehabber
09-29-2006, 01:18 PM
So, if LM is, say, 12-13 wks old (and will ALWAYS be my furry baby) I would think that keeping her outside in her cage would be the right thing to do at this point??? :)

Clk, yes -- if she's 12-13 weeks old then "keeping" her outside in her cage is the right thing to do, but emphasis on KEEPING IN THE CAGE. Not letting her go in and out as she pleases, because she is not savvy enough yet to avoid the pitfalls and dangers that await her out there. This is why we acclimate the squirrels to the weather at 12-13 weeks, but we don't release until 16-20 weeks. She got hurt because she is bright-eyed and bushy-tailed but doesn't have a friend in the world out there -- her own mother hurt her. In my opinion, the thing to do is keep her in the cage outside. If she needs out-of-cage time let her run around the house with you supervising. But not around the yard...yet. :peace

clk
09-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Thank you for the advice. It is going to be hard to make her stay in her cage with the door closed at this point. My fault. Hubby and I figured that since she was running and jumping all the time inside, it would be better for her to be doing it outside since that is where she is going to be living. Even though she is outside all the time now and out of her cage, we are usually right there in the back with her. Her cage is right outside the back slider up against the house- well protected from the elements and other little critters. I just sit out there and watch her, take the laptop outside as well so that I can keep checking my emails!!! Whenever she hears the scrub jays (I HATE their screeeeeeeeeeeching all the time!!!) she will run back to her cage or up the tree. So hopefully she is becoming more aware of her surroundings. One thing I wondered though, since we are in Oregon and she is a Douglas Squirrel, do they develope differently than an east coast squirrel? I am originally from NH (born in MASS) then transplanted here in Oregon. When I lived back home the squirrels there are bigger than the ones we have here. Mom still lives in NH and is having a fit because her squirrels are eating all her Mums! They don't mess with my Mums here. Just curious.:dono

Secret Squirrel
09-29-2006, 06:20 PM
It's not hard to keep her in the cage if you keep the door closed....no matter how much you want to spoil her. The danger is real....just look at what happened already. In cage...door shut...period. You are risking you baby's life. If you continue to risk her life than don't tell us when she gets hurt.....we give you sound tried and true advise but you refuse to absorb it.
You keep refering to "my fault" for letting her out of the cage.....two words...tough love......!!
If cleaning the cage and meal time lets her escape then try something different. I put a treat on the side of the cage furthest from the door...a distraction if you will. Or wait til she is sleeping before opening the door.
One squirrel isn't hard to handle IF YOU TRY!!!!!

clk
09-29-2006, 07:03 PM
I want to thank you all for your concern and support. But since the last post I have decided to distance myself from this board. I came here for help and support, not to be berrated and accused. LM is fine and at this time trying to help me type. Thanks again and goodbye.

Secret Squirrel
09-29-2006, 07:26 PM
We are just responding to the information you gave us...:peace how else can we help....check our deep felt (danger) concern at the door?? Most, if not all rehabber have learned the hard way and are trying to make it easy for the "new mom or dad" that come here.
Maybe I am the one that should "sugar coat" instead of prescribing a hard dose of reality.....geez....I think I need 4 more squirrels to sober me up!!!!!
Don't go clk.....I should have PM ed you....maybe that would have been a better choice. :peace

Squerly
09-29-2006, 07:34 PM
CLK, it looks to me like a lot of people have tried to give you advise and you are not taking it. These people have a lot of knowledge about raising and releasing squirrels, and the general consensuses is that LM (Bounce) is just to young to be released. Nobody is ragging on you here; we’re just concerned. Why are you so averse to keeping LM confined until she is old enough to fend for herself?

Squirrels her age will climb the same trees (and at the same time) as the bigger squirrels. The larger squirrels will attack her and she will wind up falling to her death. She just isn’t big enough yet. Please reconsider your current plan and keep her confined until she is big enough to take care of herself.

Mrs. Jack
09-29-2006, 09:07 PM
clk, don't go. I want to be hearing about missy and how she's doing a year from now. No one has said you're a bad squirrel mom, or that you haven't been doing your very best. That's just it, after all the time and effort you've put in, people want to see you and missy have the best possible ending possible. Winter is coming up, and she needs to be strong and secure to make it through that, and if she's not, you'll be sooo worried about her if you don't see her for a day or two. Everybody just wants you and Missy to be happy for a long, long time.:peace

clk
09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Well, I do feel as though I have been told I am a horrible Mom and am adverse to the information given to me. I am not sure where the adversity to advice came from. I am not at all adverse to keeping LM in her cage. She is in there now with the door closed as she was after I got the post stating that maybe she should be in the closed cage. I was and am very offended by the suggestion that I would let LM get hurt and not tell the board. That made/makes me feel as though I am thought of as a liar. It is not that I want things sugar coated, I just felt berrated and attacked. NOt a good feeling at all. While I understand the concern, I would just like to say that I am not stupid, nor am I opposed to peoples suggestions, if I were, I wouldn't keep posting the questions. I have read ALOT of the posts here and am in CONSTANT contact with the Audobaun Society, who have also helped. I am learning and trying to learn more and more. I want LM to be healthy and happy. But after this, I don't think I will continue to post questions or ask advice. I will, however, post when she is fully released just to let you know how she is. I just feel horrible- I love LM with all my heart and feel that with some of the posts, that I have doomed her, again- not a good feeling. I am crying as I type this so know that it comes with a very very heavy heart.

Mrs. Jack
09-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry you feel bad, truly. Just.. we all want what's best for Missy, most of all you. So though I understand why you're hurt and angry, please don't not ask questions if you have them and they can't be answered any other way. We're all people on a messageboard here, and feelings can easily get hurt, i've been messageboarding for a long time.. and it's a HARD medium to ever truly convey what you'd see and hear if face to face... but at least on this messageboard as opposed to the others I've been on, there's a wonderful, common goal we all have- healthy happy squirrels.

thundersquirrel
10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
hey clk- sorry i haven't been on this weekend, i would've loved to post a bit sooner.

i'm also sorry that you're not feeling welcome here. just know that we all have every squirrels' best interest at heart. know that what i say is just advice from experience, it's not judgement. i'm here to help you. ;)

i work with fox squirrels a lot, so if you want, here's what i would do.

considering the age of your squirrel, the fact that she was raised alone, and the fact that her mother is hurting her, i would keep her in your care for a little longer. it's not very cold outside yet- at least not to someone with a fur coat :) - so i don't think it's dangerous taking her inside at night only. she can heal better if she's inside for the coldest part of the night, and if she's out in the day, she'll get her happy freedom time.

i wasn't sure what your situation was, maybe you could clarify- do you have her in a closed outdoor cage? or an outdoor cage that you leave open? or just a nesting box outside?

we recently had a fox squirrel who broke her leg- a straight snap on the femur. i don't want to scare you, but we had to put her down. if you let LM into the wild with an injured hip/upper leg, she could die a very painful death through pregnancy. if she gets pregnant and her belly starts to grow, she'll probably have serious complications if her injury isn't healed, and could end up dying a slow and painful death, along with her unborn babies.

not a lot of people know about this. heck, i didn't even know until recently. i don't think a mother squirrel could break a baby's bones, but i suggest you check just in case she did. this would require a very thorough veterinary examination, possibly with an x-ray. if it turns out her bone(s) is/are broken, you wouldn't have to euthanize her if you're willing to keep her in your care for life. or, you could have her spayed. however, all of this is dependent on whether or not her hip or theigh bone has been broken at all.

usually i wait to release until babies are about......mmmm 14 to 16 weeks old, which some rehabbers consider early.

i know you're upset with some of us, but could you update us on ML's condition? i'd really like to know, just because i love helping squirrels. we all do. :grouphug

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-02-2006, 08:05 AM
CLK wouldnt you rather be the one hurting than your little squirrel after all thats how it is when you are a parent. You would take the pain rather than your little one have to bare it. Thankfully maybe your pain is hurt feelings, but it could have been your little squirrels life, then you would know pain.
Everyone here has squirrels their #1 priority, please dont leave everyone is just looking out for our little furried friends.:peace

Stephanie K Zon
10-08-2006, 02:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear the things I have just read I know how it feels to be misunderstood on this computor and I pray you all the best you all are so great just for taking the time to even read what others have to say so take things with a grain of salt use what is good for you and remmber the love for the baby we find and help. I thank all of you and God Bless you:hurt

susanw
10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, I do feel as though I have been told I am a horrible Mom and am adverse to the information given to me. I am not sure where the adversity to advice came from. I am not at all adverse to keeping LM in her cage. She is in there now with the door closed as she was after I got the post stating that maybe she should be in the closed cage. I was and am very offended by the suggestion that I would let LM get hurt and not tell the board. That made/makes me feel as though I am thought of as a liar. It is not that I want things sugar coated, I just felt berrated and attacked. NOt a good feeling at all. While I understand the concern, I would just like to say that I am not stupid, nor am I opposed to peoples suggestions, if I were, I wouldn't keep posting the questions. I have read ALOT of the posts here and am in CONSTANT contact with the Audobaun Society, who have also helped. I am learning and trying to learn more and more. I want LM to be healthy and happy. But after this, I don't think I will continue to post questions or ask advice. I will, however, post when she is fully released just to let you know how she is. I just feel horrible- I love LM with all my heart and feel that with some of the posts, that I have doomed her, again- not a good feeling. I am crying as I type this so know that it comes with a very very heavy heart.

Don't leave the board, yes maybe things could have been said in a more diplomatic way but we are concerned. I think it's great that you are caring enough to help the little guys. Don't be discouraged.:tilt