PDA

View Full Version : Skin Problem.. not sure what it is

prncsbabs1
08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Quasimodo, One of my yard babies I recently discovered a lump on it's back that at first I thought was an injury of sort. There was no bald spots or scabs on the bump it just looked swollen..it was just a huge(Egg size) lump; that's how I named him Quasimodo (sorry not to be cruel, he is cute).

I actually saw the lump break while I was in the yard; right before it broke the lump had a red spot on it and when it released it had (sorry to describe-gross) white pus drip out of it. I thought, well at least it drained but a few days ago I saw him again and it was back just not as big (Grape size) and he looked like he had one starting on the base of his tail (top part). A few days later he arrived for his dinner and where the lumps were, they appeared to be flatter and the skin was pink. Through out this whole time he ate and drank and didn't seemed to be bothered by the lumps, so I don't know. I attached a picture I got of him this morning, the lump on his back is now smaller (marble size) ....I thought at first bot fly but I kept researching what it looks like and it doesn't really look a lot like that. Any ideas?? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks, Barbara

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Looks like it is either bot fly or squirrel pox. Did you look up squirrel pox? I think this is bot fly by your description and the one in the middle of his back looks like bot fly.

prncsbabs1
08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes, I looked up Pox also. I thought Bot Fly too but lump was really huge...not like what the pictures show. Not sure...:shakehead

4skwerlz
08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Here are some pics of bots on squirrels:

prncsbabs1
08-30-2009, 07:07 PM
The lump looks nothing like the pictures of Bot, there is no center hole or mark on the fur. When it broke it closed up, there wasn't really a scab either.

4skwerlz
08-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Well I've seen wild squirrels develop abscesses in that area from being attacked by a hawk; the claws go in very deep under the skin and then an abscess can form. They usually heal up fine within a week or so. As long as the wounds are draining and don't seem to be spreading, and especially as long as the squirrel is acting fine, running and jumping and walking okay, she's probably okay. If she starts to act ill, then she might need intervention very quickly, and that would involve trapping her and getting her to a vet or rehabber for antibiotics.

prncsbabs1
08-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I am thinking abscess also....I will keep a close eye on him. Thanks for the input.