PDA

View Full Version : Baytril vs Clavamox?

PBluejay2
09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Somehow the answers to my initial post under "Pee pee Problems" were deleted, but anyway, Timber recommended Clavamox for a urinary tract infection. I'm having trouble finding a cooperative vet (even one that will return my calls). I have a friend, however, who can give me Baytril. Will this antibiotic work also, and if so, what is the dosage and length of time to give it? Thanks--Jack

Critter_Queen
09-28-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't have my pharmecutical (sp?) reference with me right now (can get it at lunch if I remember to)...but I would exhaust all vet options before self-dosing your squirrel. Especially since you don't know how the Baytril was mixed... If Clavamox is the preferred drug for a urinary infection or whatever, I would try very hard to get my hands on that specific drug.

I'm thinking your other thread got deleted because we were discussing antibiotic doses and the first one given was not exactly correct...though I did see what Timber was getting at...

You need to be able to weigh your squirrel in grams in order to properly dose him...do you have a gram scale or access to one?

Secret Squirrel
09-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Sorry about the posts being deleated. I know you need help and this is the best place for it...however... giving dosage and antiboitic information is not a topic for general discussion on an open forum.
Too many people will be using meds prescribed for thier cats & dogs to treat a sick squirrel. :nono This can be deadly to our squirrel friends.
We had a prior run in with TMI relating to sub-Qing techniques and those were deleated also.
Also, some of our licensed rehabbers can actually loose thier licenses by posting this information on the board. It's against their policy...plus in some states it take 2 years of volunteering just to be concidered.
I know I wouldn't want to jepordize what I have worked so hard to achieve.
I know Timber recommended some vets in her area to you. Isn't Vel P just a short drive from Pcola. It's well worth the short drive to save a life, wouldn't you agree??
Sorry you got caught up in red tape as far as TMI on the forum goes. I hope you have been PM by someone who can help...but your best and safest bet is getting your squirrel to a vet.:peace

snakegetters
09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/clavamox_amoxicillin_trihydrate.php

The Carpenter exotic animal formulary does not list this drug for use in rodent medicine. Doesn't mean it won't work, but antibiotics are not magic, they tend to be specific for use against certain strains of bacteria. If your illness is not caused by that strain of bacteria, all you're doing by giving that antibiotic is causing potential side effects and stressing the patient's system.